Remote Schedule

quarkrad

I've just set up a remote schedule using the word Formula One. Are entries in the 'name' column a partial title or exact? What I mean is - having entered Formula One, will the Hummy pick up only an event called Formula One or will it also pick up Formula One: German Grand Prix Qualifying? The issue with Formula One is that the exact program title changes each grand prix as they travel around the world. Ideally, the 'name' Formula One would be a wild card/part of the title. I'm not sure if the title is exact or wild card. Thanks.

It will find any occurrence that has Formula One as part of it's 'name', so it will find your other example as well. If the items are already in the EPG you can test your Auto Search with More >> Show Matching Events, for more complex searches see notes HERE

New users of RS need to be aware that, prior to any auto-scheduled recording, the Humax must be awake to check in and download any new instructions, and then go through a warm start (minimum, implying a drop to standby first) before the auto-schedule gets added to the database. Only then can the Humax go into standby again with the certainty that it will wake up and perform the scheduled operation (although it will record in the previous awake state also).

I'm afraid I need some hand-holding here. I have two issues - how to ensure the Humax has checked the new instructions (I set the new Formula One rs search about 13.30 - it is now nearly 18.00 and still nothing on the EPG. Where do I set the time for the Humax to log in and download the instructions? Also - I have read various pages on the wiki and forums but still do not know exactly how to set up the box so that at certain times it wakes up to refresh the EPG. It's probably because I'm an old Toppy user (so I think I understand the principle) and a distinct lack of grey matter. I normally leave the box in standby mode over night and so far have never missed a recording since new - but I have not done anything to 'wake up' to refresh the EPG. Are we saying it fires up out of standby for, say 20 mins, and then returns to standby? 4.20 - 4.40 is repeated a lot but sometimes there are warnings against (I assume a busy slot) - so do I have to set it up to wake up out of standby for a 20 min period - say 02.00 - 02.20? This is what I'm not sure how to do. Sorry about this.

As you have spotted the Humax wakes up at 4:30am every day, however it does this to look for new software NOT to update the EPG, this is usually not a problem because the Humax will look for new EPG data when it is woken from standby in order to view TV and also in the 15 Mins. before a recording if padding is not on. However this still leave instances (e.g. when you are on holiday and recordings are time padded) that the EPG may not be updated, the best way to get around this is to program a daily 'Reminder' (see user Guide >> Setting Reminders page 29) during the night say 3:00am to 3:20am. the daily automatic 4:30am wake is used to contact the Remote Server so they synchronise at least every 24 Hours, you can check when that last time your Humax contacted the RS at the top of the RS Home page where there will be a 'Last seen' time stamp in red. If the search information (e.g. Formula One) is not in the EPG on your Humax then there is nothing for the RS to find, the EPG for your area is updated by every Humax that is connected to the RS so even if your Humax doesn't contact the RS others will

4.20 - 4.40 is repeated a lot but sometimes there are warnings against (I assume a busy slot) - so do I have to set it up to wake up out of standby for a 20 min period - say 02.00 - 02.20? This is what I'm not sure how to do. Sorry about this.
The reason for using or avoiding the 0420-0440 slot are explained in Things Every... (click) section 4, and also HERE (click).

With the 7-day EPG it is usually sufficient to let the Humax power up and down in its own time, but if you are bent on scheduling something at the last minute and cannot do it the normal way (best for last-minute decisions) you need the Humax to boot (triggering an RS sync) and then boot again (to incorporate the new item into the recording schedule) BEFORE the recording time.

Unlike the Topfield TAPs, we do not have access to an API and have to trick the Humax into doing things it was never intended to do. In order to manipulate the schedule database the Humax operating software has to be off-line - so the downloaded alterations are held pending until the next boot, when they are promoted to active (rather like Windows updates not completing their install until next boot).

Back