Remote Scheduling events not updating the HDR-Fox T2

Hi,
I recently had a few problems with my box and had to re-install the customised firmware. That's all working a treat now, however ever since this re-install I've found that the Remote Scheduling no longer works. That said, the box and website are definitely communicating; I can see on the website the box's recent activity, as well as the active scheduled events which I've set via the normal TV guide, however whenever I try to push a recording event from the website to the box, nothing seems to happen. Hopefully the below information will be of use, but if there's anything further which anyone needs to help me diagnose the problem, please let me know:

HDR-Fox T2
Web interface version: 1.0.7-11
Custom firmware version: 2.16 (build 1691)
Humax Version: 1.02.32
RS Registration showing as active
rsvsync.log contents via the WebIf:
>>> Contents of /var/log/rsvsync.log 209.00 bytes
Opening /var/lib/humaxtv/rsvp.db
Attaching /var/lib/humaxtv/rsv.db
Retrieving pending records.
Attaching /var/lib/humaxtv/channel.db
Restoring any favourites.
Ignoring: no such table: fav (no such table: fav)​
Installed packages:
auto-unprotect
ffmpeg
portal-xtra1
redring
rs
undelete
webif
webif-iphone​

Thanks in advance,
Andy

however whenever I try to push a recording event from the website to the box, nothing seems to happen
The Remote Scheduling server never initiates communication with your Humax box, it is always the other way around. When you Humax wakes up, say at 4:30am each morning, it contacts the RS server and downloads any new instructions, if the Humax successfully contacts the RS server, the recent activity time is updated. So it isn't possible for the RS server to 'push' data to the Humax box without receiving a request from the Humax first

Try running the rs/checkin diagnostic to see if it sheds any light on it. If there is a something pending on the RS site then so much the better.

Thanks for the quick responses. I've run rs/checkin and the output is below (I suspect I'm looking in the wrong place for the actual results):
Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic rs/checkin
Running: rs/checkin

>>> Ending diagnostic rs/checkin

I've set up three randomly-chosen items to record (series and individual shows across different channels) via the RS site but nothing's come through. I'll post an update later after the 4:30 "Auto Update" which the RS site shows as an active scheduled event on the T2.

Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?
Thanks again,
Andy

Having set up your 3 items on the RS server you should not expect anything to appear on you Humax until after the 4:30 power up, however, my understanding is that sending the rs/checkin diagnostic from the humax (via the web-if) should contact the RS server and download the 3 new items immediately

Unfortunately it would appear that the 04:30 update hasn't done anything; none of the three events I'd added via the RS site have been added to the T2's recording schedule. Strangely, I do see the 'system booted' message in the Recent Activity section of the RS site.

The only anomalous thing I can see, is that the RS site shows the start time of my next T2 Auto Update event being at 4:30 today, rather than tomorrow. I suspect this is just a UI bug rather than something to be worried about, but I thought it best to mention in case it helps with the debugging.

Does anyone know of anything further/more technical I can do to try and work out what's going on (on indeed not going on)?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

The diagnostic should have shown your box's communication with the site, like this:

Code:
Processing command 'schedule '
*Schedule 40976/48493/1/106/BBC FOUR HD/1388883600/The Ballad of Mott the Hoople
*Trying source service/event ID.
_Found event - The Ballad of Mott the Hoople
_Successfully scheduled event.
Sending TBL_RESERVATION schedule information to remote server.
Already up-to-date.
Sending pending schedule information to remote server.
 Updating...
Already up-to-date.

Could you try the rs/test diagnostic? You may want to obscure or remove the MAC address part:

Code:
Running: rs/test
SQLite3: 3.7.5
Curl version: libcurl/7.19.6 OpenSSL/1.0.0a zlib/1.2.3
String: bare&mac=00:03:78:xx:xx:xx&&host=humax&id=5e04e1cef473384bb2114b005d7450ed

Hi,
The rs/test routine resulted in the below (mac address obfuscated). Interestingly, it's got the first of the three scheduled events listed, but that's all. The rs/checkin produced the same results as before when I tried that again - no obvious output and no entry in the scheduled items...

Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic rs/test
Running: rs/test
SQLite3: 3.7.5
Curl version: libcurl/7.19.6 OpenSSL/1.0.0a zlib/1.2.3
String: bare&mac=00:03:78:xx:xx:xx&&host=humax&id=18e94b016af058fffa3a1d789f212752
86922|schedule||8262|14917|1|3|ITV|1388853900|FA Cup Live: Arsenal v Tottenham

>>> Ending diagnostic rs/test

Regards,
Andy

Could you run the rs/checkin diagnostic again? I've updated it slightly.

Different results this time:
Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic rs/checkin
Running: rs/checkin
Could not acquire lock.

>>> Ending diagnostic rs/checkin

Quick update - it all looks to be working now - or, at very least, it's currently working when I force updates via the rs/checkin and rs/test commands and reboots of the T2. I've been able to add and remove scheduled items via the RS website as well as removing them via the WebIf and seeing them updated in the RS website.

I'd be interested to know whether the fix is something you've done or whether it was the manual creation of the /mnt/hd2/mod/tmp folder which I did earlier this evening. The reason for this was curiosity on my part coupled with an educated guess; I Telnet'ed onto the box to run the rs/checkin and rs/test commands in case they output more info which I could use to further help the investigation. When I tried to do this using the diag option it complained that it couldn't access the rs.log file in the above folder. Using FTP I attempted to see whether the file existed, only to find that the entire folder didn't! I created the folder and a bunch of files then appeared at some point during my ongoing testing. I suspect when I re-ran the rs/checkin above.

As I say, the above could have nothing to do with it, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Regards,
Andy

Yes, that is definitely what did it. The missing directory problem was fixed in custom firmware version 2.17 back in May which is why it didn't come to mind! I should have spotted the old version in your first post.

That sounds like a good reason for everyone to keep their custom firmware version up to date.

Different people have different objectives and priorities. I perceive seven levels:

0. Developer: Of course the pre-release stuff is installed!
1. Bleeding Edge: Install as soon as it is released or pre-released, regardless of potential flaws (beta testers).
2. On the Curve: Install once there is no immediate sign of problems from beta tester chatter.
3. Watchful: Monitor, and install when and if features affect personal use.
4. Managed Neglect: When a problem occurs, check the release notes for a solution.
5. Head in the Sand: When a problem occurs, post on the forum instead of checking release notes.
6. Conformophobe: Regards it as beneath them to use the hummy.tv forum for anything, despite wanting the benefits of the HD-FOX / HDR-FOX custom firmware.

I put myself at level 3, although that can spill down to 4 or even 5!

(Level 0 added in response to comments below, Level 6 added)

Should that not be level 0. Install before it is released.:)
0 or 6, depends which way they are numbered. My boxes are running CFW2.21 now, but it was nice to be on the official release train for a while!

Back