Remote scheduling i/f not scheduling recordings

Wildebeest

Am having an issue with the remote scheduler. I have a scheduled series on my remote scheduler auto list. The series is currently running on BBC1*. The remote scheduler correctly displays the matching episodes. But the programme resolutely refuses to appear on the Humax itself. Effectively it behaves as if there were no matching programmes. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but it has me stumped. I have tried deleting and recreating the event but just the same. If anyone can tell me why this his happening it would put my brain at rest.

*OK it's Casualty. The wife watches it. :oops:

Your Humax is only in contact with the Remote Schedule server periodically, (when the Humax switches out of standby and at set time intervals after that), so you should not expect the programme to appear on the Humax instantly. You can see the last time the Humax contacted the RS server by checking the "Last Seen:" displayed at the top of the RS Home page. Note also that the Humax needs to re-boot for a second time before the programme is scheduled

Hi Ezra

Thanks for the info about the Last Seen, I hadn't noticed that before.

The Hummy had gone through loads of wakeup cycles so it wasn't that.

I have just tried scheduling it by selecting the programme from the EPG in the RS and that has worked as expected (following the required two restarts, naturally). So it just seems to be the Auto entry that it isn't responding to. Most strange, given that "show matching event" correctly shows the next episode.

(On a slightly separate topic I was aware it needed two wake-ups and I seem to have built up a whole array of overnight events for this reason and for disabling OTA updates, which probably need re-thinking:
--- Sleep --- Tue 21 Apr 2015 02:00 --:--:--
200 BBC Red Button Disable OTA Tue 21 Apr 2015 04:20 00:20:00
200 BBC Red Button BBC Red Button Tue 21 Apr 2015 05:10 00:01:00
)

I would recommend the removal of the --- Sleep ---, whether or not it is paired with a 'Power On Timer', as it can cause the Humax to never go into standby correctly. If you need a power On/Off function, you can set up a daily 'reminder' instead

My parents HDR Fox T2 failed to record Atlantis on BBC1 HD which I set by RS portal for them, and I confirmed they had appeared in the schedule for the box at least as far as RS was concerned. They're on an old version of RS and the portal keeps pestering me to update the package, but I won't be at their place until late May and there is no way I can talk them through the package update.

(Hate these animated adverts, they're slowing my iPad3 to snail's pace while I'm trying to type these comments.)

There is a balance to be struck between "fixing what ain't broken" and unattended maintenance. Here is a situation where it would be better to have automatic updating turned on, and CF updating is reasonably reliable - any problems are soon found and sorted out.

(I use an iPad3 too - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't)

They're on an old version of RS and the portal keeps pestering me to update the package, but I won't be at their place until late May and there is no way I can talk them through the package update.
You need a VPN or SSH remote access. It's not difficult really.

You need a VPN or SSH remote access. It's not difficult really.

I have VPN access. But persuading my dad to start his end of TeamViewer on his PC is quite difficult, despite him knowing next to nothing he asks why I'm "fiddling with things" as he puts it. Not worth the argument I'm afraid. I can't get a more direct VPN access, he turns his PC off whenever he's not using it (which is most of the time) and he's on dynamic IP.

My dad assumes that if you don't change things, everything will continue to work and that things only break when you change them.

There is a balance to be struck between "fixing what ain't broken" and unattended maintenance. Here is a situation where it would be better to have automatic updating turned on, and CF updating is reasonably reliable - any problems are soon found and sorted out.

Never going to happen. I've had enough CF updates on my own boxes go wrong (needing shell login to fix) that there is no way I'm setting up automatic updates. Usually I do a batch of updates for us all, and then I run my boxes with the same CF as theirs until I next visit my parents when I repeat the exercise and update mine and their boxes. This is the first time since I started using CF where something like this has happened ie. server and client incompatible, so I feel it's unlikely to happen again.

I'm only guessing this is what went wrong, af123 did say it should be OK when I asked him. That is, assuming someone in the Yorkshire region is running the current RS package. What it means is my parents box is not contributing to the crowd sourced epg. Why this should cause a recording I appear to have scheduled to fail I have no idea, but eveything else set direct on the box records fine on the same channels.

He's not accounting for when the external environment changes.

I know that, but it isn't worth a huge family row with my dad to try to explain that to him. To his credit his attitude is "it's only telly" and he's not that bothered about the missed recordings.

Never going to happen. I've had enough CF updates on my own boxes go wrong (needing shell login to fix) that there is no way I'm setting up automatic updates.
That's odd. I have three boxes that quietly update every night, no problems at all.

That's odd. I have three boxes that quietly update every night, no problems at all.

What can I say? About one CF update in three I end up posting on here asking how to fix xyz package which has stopped working since the update. It's always a known problem, which implies to me others have had them as well. Otherwise they wouldn't be known.

I have VPN access. But persuading my dad to start his end of TeamViewer on his PC is quite difficult
You don't need a remote PC. I mean SSH direct to the remote Humax. That's what I do (using Dropbear).
and he's on dynamic IP.
So's my remote box. It's not a problem. Register with a dynamic DNS provider (I use mooo.com) and install Inadyn on the Humax and set a cron job to update the IP periodically.

You don't need a remote PC. I mean SSH direct to the remote Humax. That's what I do (using Dropbear).

So's my remote box. It's not a problem. Register with a dynamic DNS provider (I use mooo.com) and install Inadyn on the Humax and set a cron job to update the IP periodically.

This is beyond my abilities.

Back