Remote Scheduling Media List Update

Does yours do it several times a day?
No, only once, as designed. My stuff is on 24/7, hence it's always about 02:05.
If the router is off, then that probably explains it. I'm working on enhancing the local on-box logging on the rs package so we can at least see what's being attempted when - then that should give an insight into any real problem. Is auto-update installed on any/all?

auto-update installed on any/all?
It’s not by design. I leave everything working as is until I next get back to visit.

That being said, my mum is a dab hand with a mouse when directed over a shared Skype screen. If you were to improve the rs package I can get it installed.
Got her to set up a new laptop once with all her required programs and restored data over the phone and Skype.

But please don’t do anything to much out of way.

It’s not by design. I leave everything working as is until I next get back to visit.

That being said, my mum is a dab hand with a mouse when directed over a shared Skype screen. If you were to improve the rs package I can get it installed.
Got her to set up a new laptop once with all her required programs and restored data over the phone and Skype.

Perhaps you should try persuading them that the router, like the fridge, is a device that must be left on 24x7 to work properly and that by leaving it on they will get better internet connection speeds during the day time, money saving is negligible.

If that fails:
Tell them to turn on the router before turning on the Humax for the day.

Many of the rs update are scheduled to run once a day on using anacrontab, it wouldn't hurt anything for them to run more frequently
you could create crontab entries to run the updates hourly to improve the chances of them suceeding

If you were to improve the rs package I can get it installed.
I've timestamped all the logging and made the anacron stuff, that runs once a day, log as well. If you can get 1.5.1-4 installed then it will hopefully collect something useful to see what is going on.

Perhaps you should try persuading them that the router, like the fridge, is a device that must be left on 24x7 to work properly and that by leaving it on they will get better internet connection speeds during the day time, money saving is negligible.
You’re absolutely right. But I gave up long ago trying to change my dads behaviour. The best that can be done is fit the technology around the octogenarians and their ways.

Talking of which
If you can get 1.5.1-4 installed then it will hopefully collect something useful to see what is going on.
Thank you for efforts, I’ll check it out.

I had to take a passport photo this week and I don't recognise the old man who is impersonating me ;)
I don't recognise the one in my current passport/driving licence. Who knows what I'll think when I update my passport next year. Mind you, I don't recognise that youth with a full head of non-grey hair on an old student union card. Changes with age (facial) or changes with age (memory)?

If you can get 1.5.1-4 installed then it will hopefully collect something useful to see what is going on.
Hello
This has been running on the funny box for a while. Their other two T2‘s have kept up to date on the rs website. But the funny one stopped on 22nd January.
Am I correct in assuming the extra logged data is accessible via the local web interface and not the rs one?
I’m due to visit them again in a couple of weeks so might be able to sort this with luck.

Another stroke of luck is they are being forced to go full fibre (insert your own toilet joke). It SHALL be a requirement to leave the router on 24/7.
That solves various problems for me.

Yes, local. In the rs.log file on the Diagnostics page, or raw in /mod/tmp/rs.log

You’re quite right, I need to share.

While I visited I had the router on from early morning till late at night. Twenty four hours sometimes. The box updated it’s recording list each morning.
About a week after I left it stopped. Normal router usage, which I suspect sees the router spending more time off than on.
The rs portal reports the box is last seen regularly, usually in the evening. I can add and delete from the schedule ok. It’s just the recording list it’s currently stuck on 10th April.
When their fibre arrives in the summer I will convince them it has to be on all the time or something terrible will happen.
Old people! You can’t live with ‘em…

Rather than trying to fix your parents habits it might be easier to change the humax to update rs more frequently and hopefully coincide with a period that router is on

add to the [I]/mod/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root[/I] file:
Code:
7 */4 * * * /mod/bin/rstslog /mod/bin/rs -D 60 push channels >>/mod/tmp/rs.log 2>&1
17 */4 * * * /mod/bin/rstslog /mod/bin/rs -D 60 push disk >>/mod/tmp/rs.log 2>&1
27 */4 * * * /mod/bin/rstslog /mod/bin/rs -D 60 push smart >>/mod/tmp/rs.log 2>&1
37 */4 * * * /mod/bin/rstslog /mod/bin/rs -D 60 push >>/mod/tmp/rs.log 2>&1

This should (untested) update the rs server every four hours

When their fibre arrives in the summer I will convince them it has to be on all the time or something terrible will happen.
If they have a landline then when they do get fibre the landline may go through the router. If that happens then turning off the router would also stop calls being received or made.

Back