Remote stops working, buttons stop working, have to hard reset - often

No, not normal, I would reset the DLNA database, which may involve toggling Content Sharing option on the Humax and possibly a re-boot

Ok, but it 'crashes' at some point after toggling back to on. maybe there's a file that's causing it a particular problem. is there a log file that I can access? or a way to set one up?

sorry, I misunderstood the reset process... I thought it was just a case of toggling,... have now just used the webiinterface button. Will report back.

Tell, when it happens, both remote and front controls lock up. including webif remote.

The DLNA server seems to have indexed some content now.

Hopefully will put this one to bed.

Hopefully you get it sorted my lock up has now gone away once I swapped to the betaFTP. Its been ok for a week now or so.

I have just updated to custom firmware, and since doing so , have had the exact same lock up issues. I have two remotes and am sure it is not the remote itself.

Most instances both buttons and remote stop, but sometimes the buttons will still work for channels but not on / off.

The wife and kids are about to give up on my new purchase if it doesn't become more stable.

Reading all this I guess i need to look into 'reset the DLNA database' and whatever that entails.

Will update on progress.

Hi Black Hole, how do i revert ?

I had 1.0.3.11 delivered, then installled custom and had issue, then got the OTA update and issue not present, then reverted to custom and issue came back. I see OTA is no longer 1.0.3.12.

Thanks

I do not think it is the same problem but my recently added HDR-Fox T2 (500gb) and my existing HDR-Fox T2 (1tb) have not been responding to the remotes. The 1tb was fine prior to addition of 500gb machine. I have maybe locked them together with Foxlink and other custom firmware options. When the 500gb start up it mentions a usb device and various options as to source come up on the screen. I had linked them together to be able to transfer some recorded programs which my wife wanted to watch but I did not. The 1tb Fox appears as HDR on the 500gb machine and I was able to copy the required material to the 500gb usb drive (virtual). What should I use in the CF on either machine to be able to use either machine in either location (watching programs recorded on either). I bought the graded 500gb to replace a HD-Fox T2 which was not linked to the 1tb machine
I have 1.03.12 on 1tb and 1.03.11 on 500gb both running CF 2.22. For the moment I have removed all the options in the CF that I think may be the cause of the problem.

@ Mike Somers. On your 500 GB unit you will have the virtual disk 2 package installed. Network shares are mounted on the remote HDR as USB drives, and this package makes the share accessible by pressing the blue button (storage) on the remote. That is why you see a screen pop up with the options you mentioned: the HDR thinks a physical USB device had been plugged in just after start-up. You can just dismiss this screen with the exit button. It used to bug me, so I uninstalled virtual disk 2 and now leave a USB pen drive plugged in: as this device is present on booting you usually don't see this screen.
Foxlink is meant for a simple, one-way link of two units. Does Foxlink set the mount point as the '/media' share? If it does, and you have this set up on both machines you will get a recursive share situation which will lock up your units. For a two-way link, uninstall Foxlink, install the network shares automount and nfs-utils packages on each and set up NFS shares (you could alternatively set up Samba shares, but unless you also want to share attached USB drives, stick to NFS). On each unit (for access to video content) set up 'My Video' as the mount point (folder=_mnt_hd2_My Video). Don't mount the media folder directly on both units as you will create a recursive share.
Edit: I've added a screenshot. Simply create a folder in '/[Modsettings]/NFS' with the share name you want, open this folder and edit the 'folder=' (as above and in the picture) and 'host=' fields, the latter should be the IP address of the remote machine (use underscores rather than dots as in the picture).

Admins: the previous poster should probably have created a new thread in the custom firmware section. It doesn't bother me too much but not doing so might irritate those of an anally retentive disposition.

Attachments

• NFS_share.jpg
    NFS_share.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 18
Many thanks for the informative reply and screenshot.
My apologies if I have hijacked the thread but the title of the thread summed up my problem. Others may look at the thread even though their problem may not be the same as the original poster.
I will look at all you have written this evening when I have finished my tasks (to be done in the sunshine).
Many thanks.

so after trying multiple usb sticks; including one that worked for 1.0.3.12 upgarde, and re-formatting them, it turns out the .hdf file would only be recognised if called HDR_FOX_T2_UPGRADE.HDF (and not HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06.HDF )

my next issue is after the download and success, i remove usb and press standby, for it to only load the custom firmware still, with no remote access.

any ideas what to try next .....aside from try and return the box.

thanks

what i should also say is the state it is currently loading is into no channels tuned, so even when after 15 mins trying the remote works and you re-tune, by the time the re-tune is complete the remote has stopped working; so an endless loop of no remote and no tuned channels.

so after trying multiple usb sticks; including one that worked for 1.0.3.12 upgarde, and re-formatting them, it turns out the .hdf file would only be recognised if called HDR_FOX_T2_UPGRADE.HDF (and not HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06.HDF )
Yes. What instructions were you using that said otherwise? The update files come in a zip, all you have to do is unzip them.

@James Wilson. If your HDR-FOX is the old style hardware version (look at the aerial terminals on the back, old hardware = terminals aligned horizontally) I would revert to the official 1.02.32 version and then try a factory reset. If this is OK and solves your problem, you could then either go to 1.03.06, or straight back to 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22. If you don't want to do a full retune while troubleshooting, you could just do a manual tune of one multiplex. This will stop you getting nagged by the machine.

Fair enough. That's a mistake then, AFAIK all recent official Humax downloads have been zips with the correct file name within.

Back