Removal of Custom Firmware Didn't Work

Bootymus

I've removed the custom firmware from my HDR Fox T2 because I need to send it back to Humax as it suddenly stopped receiving a signal. The uninstall seems to have been successful with the exception that when it is powered on, the "custom firmware" message appears on the front display. I obviously don't want this to show up as it may invalidate my warranty.

I was asked in a previous forum how I removed it. I replied that I went into the Web-if and selected the 'Remove all custom fimware packages" option. I then loaded a USB with standard firmware, powered off the unit, plugged in the USB and powered it on.

The responder said this was the wrong thing to do and I should have selected "Set Return-to-manufacturer (RMA) mode".

What should I do now?

Just a guess, but i would say reinstall custom firmware to give yourself access to the webif again, and then select the correct option..

My concern is that the malfunction with the unit is that it has lost the ability to receive a signal, which is how it seemingly updates the 'official' software. Will trying to install custom firmware again work or will it cause more problems? Also, what's the point of a "'Remove all custom firmware packages" option if it doesn't actually do that?

The signal problem and the firmware are not related.

The difference is that removing all "custom firmware packages" does what it says on the tin. It does not say remove "custom firmware". Firmware comes before packages.

The custom firmware file is essentially installing extra software, thats why we load it on top of the official firmware. The RMA option will remove the customised "non-standard" elements of the firmware.

As AF123 states below, if the box displays the custom firmware message on the front panel when you boot it up, its still running custom firmware.

Also, what's the point of a "'Remove all custom firmware packages" option if it doesn't actually do that?
I think the point is that some people have a scatter gun approach to installing packages without knowing what they are doing and install things that are unhelpful. The option allows them to start again without having to reinstall the base custom firmware.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Incidentally, do you know if the signal problem is a common occurrence? It's the second box I've had that's failed for exactly the same reason. Essentially it doesn't recognise any aerial signal even though there is a perfectly clear signal when the aerial is plugged into the TV?

Not common from my knowledge. You're either unlucky or there's an issue with your signal/cabling.

Are you 100% sure the box is at fault?

Incidentally, do you know if the signal problem is a common occurrence? It's the second box I've had that's failed for exactly the same reason. Essentially it doesn't recognise any aerial signal even though there is a perfectly clear signal when the aerial is plugged into the TV?
What standard firmware version are you using and does the box have the revised tuner arrangement? The HDRs with the revised tuner arrangement will only work with software versions 1.03.xx and will not get signal with earlier software versions.

I've tried the box on 3 other aerials in different properties and recently had a brand new aerial installed. I can't see that it could be anything else other than the box.

What standard firmware version are you using and does the box have the revised tuner arrangement? The HDRs with the revised tuner arrangement will only work with software versions 1.03.xx and will not get signal with earlier software versions.

Hmm, I don't know. The first box failed after 12 months all on it's own accord. One day it suddenly had no signal. I hadn't messed around with custom firmware at this point. However, after realising that I couldn't transfer any of my previously recorded programmes to the new box I installed the custom firmware on the replacement unit. The new box worked fine for 3 months then one day lost all ability to receive a signal again.

Hmm, I don't know. The first box failed after 12 months all on it's own accord. One day it suddenly had no signal. I hadn't messed around with custom firmware at this point. However, after realising that I couldn't transfer any of my previously recorded programmes to the new box I installed the custom firmware on the replacement unit. The new box worked fine for 3 months then one day lost all ability to receive a signal again.
There are various things to try before you go down the warranty route. The first is to try retuning it, and if that doesn't work a factory reset Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default.

From where you are now, all you really need to do to get back to near enough standard is download and install the standard Humax firmware - you would have to do that as the last step of the clean out process anyway.

From where you are now, all you really need to do to get back to near enough standard is download and install the standard Humax firmware - you would have to do that as the last step of the clean out process anyway.
For testing that's good enough but
without going through the RMA process, the CFW structure will already have been recreated on the hard drive. If it's still saying custom on the front panel then it's still installed so the OP can just reinstall the web interface and choose RMA or set it via the telnet menu. Once in RMA and that's been checked by looking for RMA on the front panel after boot, installing the official firmware is the last step before boxing it up.

There are various things to try before you go down the warranty route. The first is to try retuning it, and if that doesn't work a factory reset Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default.

I was directed to do the retune process by Humax Customer Support, which I did a number of times before restoring it to factory default. There wasn't a flicker of a signal.

For testing that's good enough but
without going through the RMA process, the CFW structure will already have been recreated on the hard drive. If it's still saying custom on the front panel then it's still installed so the OP can just reinstall the web interface and choose RMA or set it via the telnet menu. Once in RMA and that's been checked by looking for RMA on the front panel after boot, installing the official firmware is the last step before boxing it up.

Do I need to go through the full custom firmware install or is there some way to quickly reinstall the web interface?

Back