Remove a package

What steps are required to uninstall a package, I want to remove nicesplice and magic folders.
I do not use webif on my HDR FOX T2.
Is there a package remover or do I delete files manually using filezilla ?

What steps are required to uninstall a package, I want to remove nicesplice and magic folders.
Is there a package remover or do I delete files manually using filezilla ?
Why don't you use webif, it makes package control very easy?
Do not just delete files, some packages need to clean up after themselves.
From the wiki.
opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/auto-unprotect_1.0.6_mipsel.opk HID= Install a remote package
opkg listHID= list installed packages
opkg remove auto-unprotectHID= uninstall a package

If you need to use Telnet, you would enter something like this example:-
opkg remove sysmon
to remove sysmon_1.0.5_mipsel.opk e.g. main package name without version numbering

I'm wondering what the point of this is, as the WebIF is installed by default and you have to use some kind of computing device to use Telnet - so you might as well be using a web browser and the easy package management provided by it. Is it just a case of "never tried it, don't know whether I'll like it"?

I'm wondering what the point of this is, as the WebIF is installed by default and you have to use some kind of computing device to use Telnet - so you might as well be using a web browser and the easy package management provided by it. Is it just a case of "never tried it, don't know whether I'll like it"?

Sorry, I should have made it more clear and said I do not have webif installed, so how do I remove a package without webif ?

The posts above deal with that. You do have WebIF installed, I was only asking why you choose not to use it?

Is webif disabled for a reason? I'd have thought that most people would have used webif to install these packages, so the logical thing to do would be to use webif to uninstall the packages, which is fine unless webif is broken.

Have you got any form of command line access to your HDR-T2? This would typically require something like telnet, ssh or PuTTY.

Yes, OK, I suppose it would be more accurate to say the limited version of the WebIF is installed - but I still wonder why the OP doesn't use it.

Yes, OK, I suppose it would be more accurate to say the limited version of the WebIF is installed - but I still wonder why the OP doesn't use it.
You say there is a limited version of webif in my HDR T2, if so what do I do to activate it, I have downloaded the packages I wanted from Hummy Packages and install them using a USB flash drive.
I do not have any experience in using webif so please bear with me.

You say there is a limited version of webif in my HDR T2, if so what do I do to activate it, I have downloaded the packages I wanted from Hummy Packages and install them using a USB flash drive.
I do not have any experience in using webif so please bear with me.
If you are running the custom firmware and have not installed the web interface, then the box will run a small bootstrap daemon which presents a single webpage from which you can install the full interface - see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Full_Web_Interface

Just network your Humax and point a web browser at it from another device on your network.

It is by far the easiest way to operate - you'll be amazed what you are missing. All you need to do is point your web browser at the Humax address instead of your Telnet client - unless that is you don't have the Humax habitually on the network and therefore can't even get the standard TV portal.

It is by far the easiest way to operate - you'll be amazed what you are missing. All you need to do is point your web browser at the Humax address instead of your Telnet client - unless that is you don't have the Humax habitually on the network and therefore can't even get the standard TV portal.

After reading all of the replies and being a noob at this sort of thing I thought I would take your advice and install webif, and to my delight I found it to be very useful and easy to use, I especially liked the way I was able to trim recordings, much better than nicesplice and magic folders, thanks Black Hole and af123, you guys certainly know your stuff.

For our education, can you tell us why you thought downloading and installation by USB was the right way to go? It has its uses under certain circumstances (particularly when the Humax has no Internet access), but all the intros and instructions we have written steer people to the WebIF way of doing things.

For our education, can you tell us why you thought downloading and installation by USB was the right way to go? It has its uses under certain circumstances (particularly when the Humax has no Internet access), but all the intros and instructions we have written steer people to the WebIF way of doing things.

Hi Black Hole, I have to say I did not read them, I am one of those people who tries to assemble something first, and when all else fails read the instructions, so I was unaware of just how good the webif is, I am now however a convert and I will particularly pay attention to what you and af123 say, thanks again.

Back