Rename USB drive without re-formatting

parish

Is it possible?

When I formatted the USB drive I've attached to my Hummy it was named USB-1

If I press Opt+ when it's selected the Rename option is disabled.

USB-1 isn't a name as such, it's a designation (probably to do with the driver needed to access it). Nothing to do with a drive label. The UPD in my HDR3 is called "Flash Disk", the HDD in my HDR1 currently is called "drive1", and I know that a HDD with a different format is called something else.

USB-1 isn't a name as such, it's a designation (probably to do with the driver needed to access it). Nothing to do with a drive label. The UPD in my HDR3 is called "Flash Disk", the HDD in my HDR1 currently is called "drive1", and I know that a HDD with a different format is called something else.

OK, thanks. Would be useful to be able to choose a more meaningful designation. Still, not the end of the world.

You should be able to rename it from the command line, something like:

Code:
humax# opkg install e2fsprogs
humax# /mod/sbin/e2label /dev/sda1 Test

would be worth a try... Mine's called rugged, a name I chose because it's an old LaCie Rugged drive.

This is non-mod. However, if the drive label is something to do with it (I didn't think it was), the OP could try massaging the drive label using a PC (with a Linux boot if necessary).

It's the filesystem label on the partition we're talking about and I can confirm that changing it does the job. So, the solution is either to install the custom firmware and change the label from the command line, or connect the drive to a PC and try and change it there as BH suggested.

Code:
humaxhd# /mod/sbin/e2label /dev/sda1
Rugged
humaxhd# /mod/sbin/e2label /dev/sda1 Ghost
humaxhd# /mod/sbin/e2label /dev/sda1
Ghost
e2label.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll look into changing it when connected to a Linux box.

Curiously, the drive was originally formatted HFS+ (Mac default file system) and using a GUID partition map (in order to make Mac-bootable partitions). The Hummy didn't see the disk at all so I re-formatted it FAT32 on my Mac and, I'm 99% certain, set the Volume Label to IOMEGA-HDD then, when I connected it to the Hummy, I re-formatted it so it was ext3 to avoid problems with the 4GB file size limit of FAT32. This is why I assumed that the Hummy reset the Volume Label.

Back