Repeated lock ups - any suggestions

jxp

My HDR has been working pretty well for quite some time. However in the last few days it has locked up repeatedly. The most common scenario is it comes out of standby to start a recording, then towards the end of the recording it locks up. Four of my last five recordings have been affected (locking up between 45 and 59 minutes)
I saw the problem live last night. The video output stopped and then attempted to "fast forward" to catch up. After a few attempts at this, the box locked up completely with no video output and was unresponsive to remote or physical buttons. I had to kill the power and re-start to get out of this.

As a precaution I have just installed fan (set to min 40%) and am currently running fix-disk.
Are there any other diagnostics or logs that might provide useful info?

My fear is that this box is now dying and I am not aware of any suitable replacement :(

Thanks for that.
I will try without network and also inspect the fan behaviour to see if they are the possible causes.

Check line 194 'worst' in the Web-If >> Diagnostics >> Hard Disk >> Attributes screen, if you find a figure below 60 Dec C (example of 58 HERE), then your fan is working correctly, if the figure is above 60 Deg C then your hard disk has got too hot in the past
BTW
Pay no attention to any info. in line 190, it is not relevant

Worst fan temp is 57 degrees. It looks like the fan is working OK.
I tried disconnecting the network, but it still locked up.
I then tried disconnecting the HDD and the Humax did not lock up for two hours (I will try for longer tomorrow).

It looks like a replacement disk might be the solution.

The Hummy stayed on overnight with the HDD connected. I also ran it successfully for 4 hours today with the HHD powered but the data cable disconnected.
Finally I've just tried it with the aerial disconnected and the HDD connected and it again locked up within 30 minutes.

I'm not sure what the issue is but the HDD seems to be the problem. Although I'm not sure what the HDD would be doing when watching TV (I have chase play disabled). I don't remember anything looking too bad from fix disk but will check it again.

I'm not sure what the HDD would be doing when watching TV (I have chase play disabled)
I presume you are using Web-If >> Diagnostics >> disable_tsr, my understanding is that disable_tsr only works when the Humax has nothing to record anyway, as in the WiKi notes here :-
  • disable_tsr = disable Time Shift Recording (while tuned to a channel which is not currently broadcasting)
I don't think it is possible to disable chase play while tuned to a live transmission on the HDR-Fox T2

Last edited:
I don't think it is possible to disable chase play while tuned to a live transmission on the HDR-Fox T2
That's exactly what disable_tsr does. There is no chase play on non-broadcasting or data channels anyway.

I don't remember anything looking too bad from fix disk but will check it again.
It could also be some kind of database corruption or file corruption rather than a file system corruption that would be reported by fixdisk.

I read it as you only being able to change whether chase play was enabled when you are not on a live TV channel.

The fix-disk run had very little to say. The highlights being
Running short disk self test
No pending sectors found - skipping sector repair
Checking partition /dev/sda3
Checking partition /dev/sda1
Checking partition /dev/sda2
Removing extra swap space

I will try the long self test next. Curiously I ran option 4 (self test progress) by accident and it said
#1 Extended Offline Sef-test routine in progress 90% 5124

My only other thought is that it could be the HDD controller somehow playing up.

I read it as you only being able to change whether chase play was enabled when you are not on a live TV channel.
Correct. In order to disable the TSR buffer, it must not be currently in use.

Did you see my post 11?

That won't help if there is a corrupt recording (presuming you meant a factory reset without disk format).

The long disk test reported completed with no errors.
I then tried to clear epg and dlna data (in case they were corrupt). Again the Hummy locked up.
Next I tried a factory reset but again the lock up re-occurred.

The only thing I can think of to try next is deleting recent recordings in case one is corrupt.

All you need to do is move them to a folder that the Humax code doesn't scan. Add a folder at the same level as My Video (eg zzz) and do a block move (using the Telnet command line).

In my ignorance, which I have demonstrated in the past, could he not rename the video folder in which the videos are located and then create a new empty one rather than actually moving the files around?

So I've deleted all recordings from the last 7 days (and cleaned up the Deleted folder too).

Following another factory reset, the Hummy has now been fine for the last 60 minutes.
Will see how it goes for the rest of the evening, but at the moment its looking like a corrupt recording could be the culprit.

Back