Replace 500Gb drive with 1Tb

surefire

Quick question about converting a 500gb box to 1gb.

Knowing that my 1Gb box is getting on a bit I managed to purchase a second hand T2 with a 500gb hard disk. If and when my original box gives up the ghost I would like to just swap the 1Tb drive into the 500gb newer unit. Is this possible without losing any recordings or will it need to be formated?

Also can the newer box play files recorded from a different unit or is encription an issue

Knowing that my 1Gb box is getting on a bit I managed to purchase a second hand T2 with a 500gb hard disk. If and when my original box gives up the ghost I would like to just swap the 1Tb drive into the 500gb newer unit. Is this possible without losing any recordings or will it need to be formated?

Also can the newer box play files recorded from a different unit or is encription an issue
You can swap the drives without problem but the encryption on the recordings will prevent them being played other than on the box that made the recording. You could work around this by installing the custom firmware and using its features to routinely decrypt all recordings.

Very often it's the disc that dies rather than the box, so your idea may be fatally flawed, regardless of the encryption obstacle.
However some other components have been known to fail - PSU and front panel come to my mind - so having spares is not a bad thing.

Quick question about converting a 500gb box to 1gb.

It's amazing how often these old chestnuts come up, and the reason I wrote my guides: Things Every... (click) section 5.

Back