Replacement Hard Drive Recommendation

CoatesieUK

Hi everyone

Been following the forum for a while with regards to the custom firmware and have found the information on this site to be most helpful.

Yesterday without warning the drive in our 1TB box died after about 18 months - we were watching TV, then there was a continuous clicking and on rebooting the drive refused to boot up. I removed it and connected to my laptop but still nothing, so i'm working on the assumption it is dead!

Could someone please recommend a decent replacement (1 or 2TB) as i'd like to put something in that will hopefully last a bit longer!

Many thanks

Ian..

I recently put a Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB Drive (ST2000VM002/3) into mine. Just be aware that the Humax won't format a 2TB disk itself and that you need to take extra precautions to properly align sectors on an advanced format drive.

If it's of interest, here's what I wrote about my experience:

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog

I recently put a Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB Drive (ST2000VM002/3) into mine. Just be aware that the Humax won't format a 2TB disk itself and that you need to take extra precautions to properly align sectors on an advanced format drive.

If it's of interest, here's what I wrote about my experience:

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog
How's that drive been behaving since?

Would you still recommend the telnet commands given in your blog?

How's that drive been behaving since?
Clearly I am not af123 but I used the same drive and followed his instructions. After over twelve months I have had no problems and currently the drive has 5215 power on hours and zero reallocated sectors.

I have been running the 1TB version of the Seagate Pipeline (ST1000VM002) for 14 months without problems: not had a sector reallocation yet. The latest firmware (1.03.12) can format (and align if advanced format) a drive up to 2TB so no need to use af123's method, unless you want to tweak the configuration.

I can recommend the seagate pipeline 2tb - i must admit I did have an issue with my first one which started to die before its time - however it was swapped without fuss under warranty.

Would you still recommend the telnet commands given in your blog?
The installation blog was written pre-1.03.12. The most convenient installation process now (for drives up to 2TB) is to update to 1.03.12 (if necessary) and then format the drive using the Humax menus. You can then downdate the firmware afterwards if desired.

I have been running a 2TB version of the Seagate Pipeline (ST2000VM003) for 1500 powered on hours (average 2 hours) without problems: not had a sector reallocation yet. It was formatted using firmware 1.03.12 and the firmware was then down dated to 1.02.20.
The only issue I have with it is that when it is powered up it appears to be not as tolerant to moving the unit about as a couple of other (smaller) Seagate HDDs I have in PVRs. This is indicted by the high fly write smart data. This is no big issue and when I have the time I will change one of my 1TB to the same Seagate 2TB.

any of you replaced the original 500gb drive? I saw people had problems with the replacements not being powered up.

Ian,

I went for the WD AV-GP Enterprise 2 TB 3.5-inch SATA Internal Hard Drive from Amazon (linky), which has been great so far. The latest firmware recognised it straight away, and formatted the whole 2TB without any problems.

Hope that helps?
John

Did you read the comments about the WD in the wiki (click)?:
The drive that has most often been used by others is the Western Digital AV-GP (WD20EURS). I considered that drive too, not least because it is 10% cheaper than the Seagate, but I read some reports of it being noisy on spin-up and spin-down (although quiet in operation) as well as the known head-park issue which can only be disabled if power saving is disabled globally on the drive. The Seagate felt like a better bet.

Back