Replacement HDD Advice

jsrhummy

Hi All,

I am new to the Forum. May I say how impressed I am within the level of detail and dedication it contains.

If possible I would like some advice/guidance from the experts, on an issue my HDR-FOX T2 has presented me with last week. I have owned the unit since around 2010/11. It has the standard firmware version 1.03.12 installed. The sequence of events for the issue, and what I have investigated and done to date is as follows:

1. Menu - Video - did not load up any recordings, and the display just went back to the TV channel I was watching.
2. Carried out an HDD test (Note the size, and used space of drive diaplayed as 0) - Result = Error code 8.
3. Formatted the HDD, as was suggested, then did HDD test again - Result = Error code 8.
4. Performed a Factory Reset, then did HDD test again - Result = Error code 8.
5. On unit startup the HDD seems to make some very odd repeated sounds initially, then settles down.
6. I have completely removed the HDD form the unit following the excellent guidance on the forum.
7. With the HDD removed. The unit starts up no problem, and functions as expected all be it without the ability to record.

The current HDD (which I suspect is very unhealthy) is as follows:

Seagate Pipeline HD .2 1TB
ST31000424CS

The forum suggest a Seagate Skyhawk, so I have been looking at the following one to potentially purchase:

Seagate Skyhawk 1TB
ST1000VX005

Note: The dimensions of the Seagate Skyhawk HDD are the same as my current HDD, however the weight is lighter 415g vs 613g, but that should not be an issue. A concern I had was if it will fit correctly inside the black disk caddy, but looking at the specs for it, the mounting screw threads seem to be in exactly the same position, and the SATA connection to the HDD is the same.

My plan is to purchase the replacement HDD first, and hopefully solve the issue. Then potentially have a look at downloading and installing the latest Custom Firmware (CF), that I have read about, which will provide additional functionalty/diagnostics.

I just want to be certain that the Seagate Skyhawk HDD is fully compatible with the HDR-FOX T2. Also that I am going about this the correct way, therefore any advice you can give me as the experts would really be appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Steve

I would check the original HDD before purchasing a replacement, you may find that it works when tested separately to the HDR-Fox T2, if this is the case then it points to a power supply problem in the Humax and a replacement HHD may fail in the same way

I just want to be certain that the Seagate Skyhawk HDD is fully compatible with the HDR-FOX T2. Also that I am going about this the correct way, therefore any advice you can give me as the experts would really be appreciated.
Yes the Seagate Skyhawk will be fully compatible with an HDR-FOX T2. I agree with Ezra that testing the old hard drive separately would be sensible if you have the means to do it but the fact that it was making odd noises does suggest that it has failed.

A concern I had was if it will fit correctly inside the black disk caddy, but looking at the specs for it, the mounting screw threads seem to be in exactly the same position, and the SATA connection to the HDD is the same.
HDDs are all made to the same mounting specification, you just have to choose between 5¼" (not really in use any more), 3½" (which is what fits the HDR-FOX), and 2½" (typically used in small notebook computers and portable drives, and also SSDs). 2½" fits the HDR-FOX drive cable, and can be made to fit the drive caddy with a little ingenuity.

HDR-FOX HDD Replacement (click)

Hi All, Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I agree that testing the HDD independently would be a good idea, however I do not have the environment to do that. Initially I think I will go down the route of sourcing a new Seagate Skyhawk 1TB drive -
ST1000VX005. I will see if that solves my issue. From what I have done so far, I would say there is a very high chance that its the HDD itself that is faulty. If not, and it turns out to be something else, I will then look at what else can be done. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Steve

You might as well get a 2TB drive; that's what I bought when having a similar problem recently. Ebuyer and Scan.

If you have a laptop or PC you can use a simple disc caddy to explore your failing hard drive. They are quite cheap and easy to buy.

You might as well get a 2TB drive; that's what I bought when having a similar problem recently. Ebuyer and Scan.

If you have a laptop or PC you can use a simple disc caddy to explore your failing hard drive. They are quite cheap and easy to buy.
Hi, Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The 1TB drive is more than enough storage for me, only ever used around half of that, but thanks for the suggestion. Re the disk caddy you mention, can you let me know exactly what I would need to buy, and any other connection cables I would need. I have a PC I could potentially use.

Thanks in advance

Steve

You don't need necessarily a caddy for a one off test; I just use a USB to SATA adapter such as Link to eBay NB you need the optional power adapter for the 3.5" drive used by the Humax.

Hi All, Just to let you know the new Seagate skyhawk hdd, arrived this weekend. I have now fitted it, and my issue is solved. I will buy a sata to usb adapter to test/repair the old drive if possible. I am also considering upgrading to the latest CF.

Thanks for all your help and advice

Steve

Back