Replacement HDD, best one

denisiw

The HDD on my Fox T2 packed up last week. I bought it in January 2014 so I'm a bit miffed that it's failed so soon. I've looked at the thread that covers replacing a HDD in the Fox T2 and this one has been suggested: Seagate ST1000VM002 Pipeline HD 1 TB Internal Hard Drive. I'm quite happy with 1TB, is this still the best one to get? Thanks.

The HDD on my Fox T2 packed up last week.
In what way did it "pack up"? Are you confident that the file system hasn't gone read only?
I bought it in January 2014 so I'm a bit miffed that it's failed so soon. I've looked at the thread that covers replacing a HDD in the Fox T2 and this one has been suggested: Seagate ST1000VM002 Pipeline HD 1 TB Internal Hard Drive. I'm quite happy with 1TB, is this still the best one to get? Thanks.
Yes that is a reasonable choice.

The HDD on my Fox T2 packed up last week. I bought it in January 2014 so I'm a bit miffed that it's failed so soon. I've looked at the thread that covers replacing a HDD in the Fox T2 and this one has been suggested: Seagate ST1000VM002 Pipeline HD 1 TB Internal Hard Drive. I'm quite happy with 1TB, is this still the best one to get? Thanks.
Jan 2014 to Oct 2016 is less than 2 years, so it's still in warranty (if you registered it).

In what way did it "pack up"? Are you confident that the file system hasn't gone read only?
When I pressed the Media button nothing happened. Pressing the Record button didn't work either. I contacted Humax and after doing a couple of starts by putting the plug into a live socket achieved nothing I was told that the HDD was dead. I was told to leave it unplugged for 8 hours and try it again but still nothing happened when I plugged it in.

Last edited:
Jan 2014 to Oct 2016 is less than 2 years, so it's still in warranty (if you registered it).
My mistake I meant Jan 2013 which is three years 9 months, still not very long. Jan 2014 to Oct 2016 is two years 9 months. So it is out of warranty.

It could be recoverable using the custom firmware, but that drive is fine for 1TB.

Data Storage is greyed out which is one of the things that the Humax chap asked me to look at.

The HDD is definitely dead then isn't it.

Data Storage is greyed out which is one of the things that the Humax chap asked me to look at.

The HDD is definitely dead then isn't it.
No. It could be dead or the file system could be read only. The easiest way to find out is to install the basic custom firmware and run fix-disk,

Even if you hadn't got the maths. wrong it might not be true.
I bought a disk in Nov. 2013 with a 2 year warranty and it expired in Sep. 2015. When I checked on Seagate's web site, it told me the disk warranty was dated Aug. 2013 so it was out of warranty by a month. It's a bit of a con that you end up losing your warranty time whilst the disk is sat on the supplier's shelf.

I know you specifically said 1TB was fine but...

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb...-35-sata-iii-6gb-s-hdd-5900rpm-64mb-cache-ncq

Not too much more than I can find the 1TB for - and you might feel better about having to spend the money :)

Obviously hope you manage to fix the original though.

Thanks for that.

I haven't done anything yet as I'm using my other PVR (Humax-2000T). I'm looking into trying what's been suggested above before I buy a new HDD, if I can figure out how to do it :)

Last edited:
I've decided to buy a new drive and install it. Having looked on here on how to run fix-disc I've come to the conclusion that I'm not sufficiently computer savvy to be able to do it. My PC is upstairs and I presume I'll have to obtain a dongle for my PVR in order to be able to connect it to my my PC via WiFi. My Samsung Smart TV is connected to the net via a LAN cable and TP Link. I thought that I would be able to put the file on a USB stick but it appears that that is no longer possible/recommended.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my original post.

I've decided to buy a new drive and install it.
:rolleyes:
My Samsung Smart TV is connected to the net via a LAN cable and TP Link.
How many ports? If more than one, just plug a cable in between the T2 and the TP Link. If one, then temporarily nick the one that goes to the TV for the T2.
I thought that I would be able to put the file on a USB stick but it appears that that is no longer possible/recommended.
Which file?
If you mean the custom firmware file, then that is the ONLY way to do it.
It really isn't difficult and you seem to have all the necessary bits already.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

How many ports? If more than one, just plug a cable in between the T2 and the TP Link. If one, then temporariily nick the one that goes to the TV for the T2.

There's one port, I unplugged it from the TV and connected it to the PVR to look at the Humax Portal.

Which file?
If you mean the custom firmware file, then that is the ONLY way to do it.
It really isn't difficult and you seem to have all the necessary bits already.

I was just looking for the fix-disc file but it's not available on its own.

Back