Replacement HDD Question

Grazer

I know I know - another HDD replacement post.

After a few months of losing access to recordings randomly (usually watching a programme on chase play) and increasing picture breakup during recordings, I looked at replacing the original HDD.

I had access to two desktop drives (2tb Samsung HD204UI/Z4) and connected these to a PC a formatted as ext3 using gparted - one as one big partition to use as an external backup drive and the other with 3 partitions as described in the hummy wiki '2tb disk installation.blog'

After backing up my recordings to the new usb drive, I swapped out the internal drive. All looked OK on boot up , recordings worked and I copied my recordings back from USB drive.

When I tried the CF web interface though it told me about a potential problem with the HDD. i think its because the drive is reporting SMART is disabled.

Can someone guide me through how to resolve the problem? I'm not great with the CLI utilities.

Also, I didn't copy any data from the humax partitions of the old drive (1 and 3) - does the data just get recreated automatically?

Thanks in advance.

When I tried the CF web interface though it told me about a potential problem with the HDD. i think its because the drive is reporting SMART is disabled.

Can someone guide me through how to resolve the problem? I'm not great with the CLI utilities.
What does this say:
Code:
humax# smartctl -a /dev/sda
Also, I didn't copy any data from the humax partitions of the old drive (1 and 3) - does the data just get recreated automatically?
Yeah.

I dug out the laptop and telnet onto the box. The SMART on the hdd was reporting as disabled. Used smartctl to enable it, run some tests (using a post from 2012 as a guide) and these indicate the drive is ok, as did the command supplied above by prpr.

I think it was just the SMART being disabled that generated the error.

Thanks v much.

Back