Replacement HDRFoxT2 advice

Andybrody

Hi all.
I had to purchase a replacement machine as my HDR's mother board gave up the ghost (my fault was trying to fault find faulty capacitors),
so managed to pick one up in good order for only £30 may try to get hold of another one for spare.
The advice I'm after is this I want to simply remove the 500Gb drive and fit my 2Tb that has many hours of recordings and the Custom Firmware on it.
Is it just as simple as swapping over or will I need to do anything first, will I need to install Custom Firmware, register on the Remote scheduler or change any flags on recordings
to enable playing on what is basically a different machine or will the HDD swap alleviate any of these possible problems.
Thanks for looking
Andy

As you should know, CF is installed to Flash so you will need to do the CF firmware install on the new machine. Once done though, everything else can be transported in on the HDD from the old machine.

However, unless you have all the recordings decrypted, you will lose access to them. The solutions are to use off-line decryption, or change the decryption key on the new machine to match the old machine (CF settings, imposed at boot time - without CF the decryption key will revert to standard).

RS uses MAC to identify machines, so you will need to register the new machine to your RS account.

However, unless you have all the recordings decrypted, you will lose access to them. The solutions are to use off-line decryption, or change the decryption key on the new machine to match the old machine (CF settings, imposed at boot time - without CF the decryption key will revert to standard).

Thanks for that Black Hole yeah I sort of did know that C/F was in Flash just needed a little push to remember. All recordings are are auto decrypted so will i need to do anything to them or will they just play.
Cheers

And in fact if your old machine could have been coaxed into life to back up the files on the RW flash storage, after installing the CF update on the new one, you would have been able to restore those files and have an instant running system.

Fortunately your schedule+favs backups are on the hard disk and you should be able to restore those after retuning the new machine. Unfortunately tunefix and boot-settings configurations are not.

Ok Replacement machine purchased, CF installed, HDD swapped over all decryption etc carried out automatically, all settings, schedule, favourites etc restored,
All appears to be working except one oddity at the top of the media/my video tree I know have a [USB Storage] if you go into the folder there is another folder drive 1 there are no files in the folder, I do not have a USD drive connected to the HDR. Can I safely just delete it, the machine reports that is 8.0KiB which I'm sure is just the folder.

Can I safely just delete it
No! If you have virtual-disk2 installed so that you can access remote drives without having a real USB drive plugged in, it will create a ghost USB drive. If you also have mvdisks installed, that creates an image of the USB drive (real or virtual) within My Video so you don't have to go through Media >> Storage >> USB.

No! If you have virtual-disk2 installed so that you can access remote drives without having a real USB drive plugged in, it will create a ghost USB drive. If you also have mvdisks installed, that creates an image of the USB drive (real or virtual) within My Video so you don't have to go through Media >> Storage >> USB.
Hi Black Hole thanks for the info have now uninstalled virtual-disk2 and mvdisks and now deleted the USB file in the media tree.

The new machine appears to be working as the CF has designed it to accept I have a problem with the System Monitor if I click on it the webif switches to the SysMon screen but will the sit there for ever saying loading please wait ........... this will cause the machine to freeze (and has caused a crash) you can switch between the headers Disk Temp/CPU usage/ etc but will only say loading please wait........ you can not change the displayed screen on the webif the only way to stop it is switch the mains power switch and reboot.
Have you or anyone else have any ideas how to solve this problem.
Cheers.

have now uninstalled virtual-disk2 and mvdisks and now deleted the USB file in the media tree.
The folder wasn't real, it would have disappeared after a reboot. You might need virtual-disk2 if you want to use network-shares-automount, but it begs the question why you had mvdisks installed if you don't have a use for it.

Have you or anyone else have any ideas how to solve this problem.
Most likely a corrupt monitor.db file. The easiest thing to do is delete it and a new one will be created. On the Telnet or Webshell command line:
Code:
rm /mod/monitor/monitor.db

The folder wasn't real, it would have disappeared after a reboot. You might need virtual-disk2 if you want to use network-shares-automount, but it begs the question why you had mvdisks installed if you don't have a use for it.

I used n/s/automount previously but not anymore, mvdisks I do not remember why it was there so deleted that as well.
I did do several reboots but the file would not budge that's why I deleted it.

Most likely a corrupt monitor.db file. The easiest thing to do is delete it and a new one will be created. On the Telnet or Webshell command line:
Code:
rm /mod/monitor/monitor.db

Not sure how to do what your saying here, have used Telnet but always very unsure that I might do some irretrievable damage perhaps you could give me some step by step guide.
Would I need to take the HDR out of use while I do want is required or can it still be used at the same time

Would I need to take the HDR out of use
No. Might need a reboot to get sysmon doing its thing again.

Not sure how to do what your saying here
Type (or copy&paste) exactly the above, once you've got a command prompt. That's all there is to it. "rm" = remove (ie delete).

If you really don't know how to get a command prompt:

Option 1: Using a Telnet Client - see https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet.

Option 2: Webshell - with the webshell package installed (and rebooted), a Command Line tool is added to WebIF >> Diagnostics.

If asked for the PIN the default is "0000". If presented with a menu, typing "cli" (command line interface) gets you to the command prompt. When finished, "exit" to exit.

Type (or copy&paste) exactly the above, once you've got a command prompt. That's all there is to it. "rm" = remove (ie delete).

If you really don't know how to get a command prompt:

Option 1: Using a Telnet Client - see https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet.

Option 2: Webshell - with the webshell package installed (and rebooted), a Command Line tool is added to WebIF >> Diagnostics.

If asked for the PIN the default is "0000". If presented with a menu, typing "cli" (command line interface) gets you to the command prompt. When finished, "exit" to exit.
Thanks BH used option 1 and now System Monitor is working just fine.
Thanks
Andy

You see - easy, wasn't it!

I recommend installing webshell for future use, it's a lot more convenient (use any web browser) than having to fire up a Telnet client - although sometimes Telnet is better (eg Safari on iOS doesn't play very nicely with a webshell session when trying to copy text out of the session for posting on the forum). On the other hand, iOS doesn't have a nice free Telnet client (the one I was using broke when iOS got updated), and I'm not willing to shell out on a paid one to find I don't like it.

Back