Replacement Power supply?

I have followed the steps for Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues and after replacing the HDD, it seems as if the power supply board (pw808) seems to be the problem. I can not see any signs of component failure, so a replacement PSU is probably needed. Any suggestions on where a reasonable condition one can be obtained? Searches on ebay etc. often bring up the wrong type altogether.

If it's a later machine with the RF connections arranged vertically, as opposed to horizontally as on the earlier ones, the YouView DTR-T1000 uses the same PSU (in fact everything other than the main board) and can be picked up quite cheaply - I've seen them up for £10-15 on the local FB marketplace.

If it's a later machine with the RF connections arranged vertically, as opposed to horizontally as on the earlier ones, the YouView DTR-T1000 uses the same PSU (in fact everything other than the main board) and can be picked up quite cheaply - I've seen them up for £10-15 on the local FB marketplace.
Oops- posted without thinking. You give the PSU as PW808 whereas the later ones use PW1003 - the difference is it only has a 12V output.

This lot have PW808 PSUs: Click

One possibility is it might be another case of C3 in the snubber cct going s/c - see this thread.

Hi, Thanks fo rthe suggestions ad advice on this forum.
I have changed the PSU (used PSU bought online) but the Humax would not start unless the hard disk power supply was not connected.
So I changed the hard disk (new 1 TB Seagate SkyHawk), but again it will not start unless the HDD power supply is unplugged from the main circuit board. In fact, the hard disk does not spin at all.
So, risking the wrath of the family I swapped the PSUs with the remaining working Humax HDR Fox T2.
I managed not to break the working Humax, it works fine with the replacement PSU. But the other remains stuck in the start up loop unless the HDD power supply is disconnected.
Any diagnostic and/or repair suggestions? Or is it time to get asomething new?

Well, if the replacement PSU works in a known good HDR-FOX, but the faulty HDR-FOX remains faulty, that seems pretty conclusive that it's a main board problem within all reasonable probability.

There is another current thread with similar problems.

So, risking the wrath of the family I swapped the PSUs with the remaining working Humax HDR Fox T2.
I managed not to break the working Humax, it works fine with the replacement PSU. But the other remains stuck in the start up loop unless the HDD power supply is disconnected.
Any diagnostic and/or repair suggestions? Or is it time to get asomething new?
I think these symptoms have been reported several times over the last few years. It must be a problem on the motherboard but it needs someone with more electronics repair knowledge than me to diagnose it; any takers?

I think these symptoms have been reported several times over the last few years. It must be a problem on the motherboard but it needs someone with more electronics repair knowledge than me to diagnose it; any takers?
It's something I'd normally jump at but I've got too much on my plate here ATM that needs to be cleared first.

That said, my first port of call would be a 'scope on the 5V and 12V supplies to the HDD. The 12V probably comes from the PSU but the 5V will be generated on the main board.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't have a 'scope or any idea how to get the test subject onto Black Hole's bench.
I have purchased a docking statation with an eSata output and a eSATA to SATA cable for connecting my HDD, whilst powering it externally.
But the humax doesn't always detect the HDD. Some fiddling about with connections and restarting sometimes works, but often I get webif messages "The system is initialising" followed by "No internal disk found". There is an "Access Telnet Menu" option.
Any suggestions on how to help humax find the HDD? Perhaps a System Command line instruction?

any idea how to get the test subject onto Black Hole's bench.
You post it to me! Arrangements can be made by Private Conversation (click here).

Any suggestions on how to help humax find the HDD? Perhaps a System Command line instruction?
The Humax cannot be "helped to find" the HDD. The problem is hardware - be that the HDD itself, the SATA interface on the main board, the main board's power control to the HDD, or the PSU.

Back