Replacing drive with a 2Tb option

Putting the debate of when telly is telly. Looking at the threads yesterday I don't think anybody has recovered from this one. A snip from the end of the log:

/dev/sda:
re-writing sector 4202: succeeded

Running select disk self test
Error at LBA 2174339

/dev/sda:
re-writing sector 2174339: succeeded

Running select disk self test
Unknown error, skipping sector repair
smartctl 6.4 2015-06-04 r4109 [7405b0-smp-linux-2.6.18-7.1] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-15, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Short INQUIRY response, skip product id
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Checking partition tables...
Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely!
Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely!

MBR Status: not present
GPT Status: not present

Partition table is missing/corrupt. If the disk has not been formatted by
the Humax, recovery by fix-disk may not be successful.

Searching for partitions...

Unable to find partition 1, exiting...
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 1

Press return to continue:

It's your missing LBA. Done a fix disk three times now. The first time the drive reappeared and I copied out 20 percent or so. Next two runs it just comes back up inviting me to reformat it. Test reformat on the Humax gives error 8. I think it's kaput.

Af123 overnight reports show it to have increased the reallocated sectors 147, was 53. Pending sector 1 was 0, offline sector 1 was 0. But I reckon this might be based on old data but came through over night. When it came up the first time I seem to recall the numbers were a bit higher.

It is my stupid fault since it had developed a way of not bringing up the menu immediately to a media button press. I thought it was the button going. Reckon that may have been first signs. Tinnitus, I don't hear the drive making noises. The don't panic reports didn't look too bad, previously. The play back picture break up I'd put down to the mobile frequency changes and storm damage to the aerial lead, given I'm moving house I wasn't bothered. It had been creeping up on me I reckon. It was this week on the Today programme play back it kept stopping, then would start again from where it left off 5 seconds or so latter, not missing anything which I decided was cause for a detailed disk check. Think it was too late by then.

So anyhow if you have any more learned commands, I'll try them out. I'm planning to order a 4TB drive, but we have a bit of time to extract what's on the drive if there is some frigging that can be done. Sorry I've hijacked the thread. I don't reckon it's the motherboard.

Last edited:
I'm back up again with a 4tb drive

Seagate ST4000VM000 Video Internal 3.5-Inch Hard Drive 4TB, 5900 rpm, 64 MB Cache, SATA

Followed

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Very_Large_Hard_Drive

I did have to do an RMA then installed the standard software and re-installed the custom software. Did reboot several times but that was the only way of doing it. I did read on here that you had to step back and then forward. Might need that in the guide above.

Other than that all seems fine. Nice and snappy on the remote.

Thanks all.

Back