Replacing Hard Drives

catnap

I appreciate that there are several threads on this subject, but I can't find anything entirely up to date and definitive - not surprising given the changing permutations.

Anyway, I'm thinking of upgrading my hard drives and would like to set down my understanding of the process to follow in my situation in the hope that others can confirm or correct it.

I have 2 HDR-FOX T2s.
Box A is 1TB running 1.02.32 and CF 2.15.
Box B is 500GB running 1.03.12 and CF 2.22.

I would like to upgrade Box A to 2TB (using a suitable drive as recommended in various threads) then put the 1TB drive in Box B.

My understanding is that I upgrade the standard firmware on Box A to 1.03.xx then take out the 1TB drive (are there instructions for physically changing the drives - screws and cables etc ?) and put the 2TB drive in. I then format the new drive using the standard Humax process. I then change the standard firmware back to 1.02.32 and apply any CF that suits me. I then attach the old 1 TB drive using a caddy and copy across any recordings I would like to keep on Box A.

Next I remove the drive from Box B and follow the process above to install the 1TB drive taken from Box A and format it (without need to change the standard firmware) and then apply the CF that suits me and then copy across any recordings from the old 500 GB drive.

After this I am left with a spare 500 GB drive.

Am I close?

Box A is mainly used to record things my wife watches (more accurately doesn't watch) in one location while Box B is more my preferences in another. The 2TB upgrade was to allow my wife (who fortunately doesn't read this forum) to record and not watch even more. I suppose I could upgrade Box B to 2TB then ftp all of the contents of Box A across to it then swap them around. Thanks I hadn't though of that until your and BH's prompt.

Temporarily ignoring my domestic arrangements and non-lateral thinking is my understanding of the process as in my original note correct?

I appreciate that there are several threads on this subject, but I can't find anything entirely up to date and definitive - not surprising given the changing permutations.
Really? They seem as up to date and definitive as they can be to me. I take it you have looked at the wiki too?

My understanding is that I upgrade the standard firmware on Box A to 1.03.xx then take out the 1TB drive and put the 2TB drive in. I then format the new drive using the standard Humax process. I then change the standard firmware back to 1.02.32 and apply any CF that suits me. I then attach the old 1 TB drive using a caddy and copy across any recordings I would like to keep on Box A.

Next I remove the drive from Box B and follow the process above to install the 1TB drive taken from Box A and format it (without need to change the standard firmware) and then apply the CF that suits me and then copy across any recordings from the old 500 GB drive.

After this I am left with a spare 500 GB drive.

Am I close?
Reckon.

are there instructions for physically changing the drives - screws and cables etc ?
Take a look at the walk-through for removing the orange display filter - that will at least show you how to get into the box - but it's easy enough (just three screws on the rear and then the top cover lifts off). After that you should see what you need to do to get the drive out.

Thanks BH. As to a definitive reference, I couldn't find a single explanation that included confirmation that the latest standard firmware allowed on the box formatting of a 2TB drive - though I did find references to this elsewhere. I admit that I may just have been looking in the wrong places. It seemed best however to check my understanding. I am now thinking of upgrading or swapping my wife about to simplify things.

It seemed best however to check my understanding. I am now thinking of upgrading or swapping my wife about to simplify things.
Although I can sympathise sentimental value can have a lot going for it.

Thanks BH. As to a definitive reference, I couldn't find a single explanation that included confirmation that the latest standard firmware allowed on the box formatting of a 2TB drive - though I did find references to this elsewhere. I admit that I may just have been looking in the wrong places. It seemed best however to check my understanding. I am now thinking of upgrading or swapping my wife about to simplify things.
It's clearly stated in the wiki article: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog

I have also said so, although I need to update Things Every... section 12:
The installation blog was written pre-1.03.12. The most convenient installation process now (for drives up to 2TB) is to update to 1.03.12 (if necessary) and then format the drive using the Humax menus. You can then downdate the firmware afterwards if desired.

I first referred to "Things Every" without the related clarification and such was my uncertainty - all cleared up now thanks.

I know this is stating the obvious but sometimes that's a worthwhile exercise.

There is a potential gotcha with the plan in post #4 to "upgrade Box B to 2TB then ftp all of the contents of Box A across to it then swap them around".
In order for that to work you must make sure that all the recordings on Box A have been unencrypted first - otherwise Box B won't be able to play them.

As a CF user you probably already knew that but, as I said, sometimes it's worth mentioning ... just in case!

Just to update on my experience. Sense and a domestic pact eventually prevailed and I upgraded the 500GB box running 1.03.12, installing a 2TB Seagate Pipeline (ST2000VM003) - which I see others have had success with. It was very straightforward, the whole process including formatting on the box took about 15 minutes. Obviously early days but all seems fine.

Back