Reprogram remote four white buttons, 'PVR', 'TV', 'DVD' and 'AUDIO'

To summarise the potential solutions to the OP's problem:
  • It is not possible to "defeat" the TV, DVD, and AUDIO buttons. Whatever you do, pressing one of them will prevent the handset operating the PVR until the PVR button is pressed again.

• The on-screen pop-up which announces the press of the TV, DVD, or AUDIO buttons (later generation handsets only) can be suppressed using custom firmware.

• It might be possible to map a few of the functions from the TV, DVD, and AUDIO buttons to equivalent functions on the HDR-FOX using a feature of the custom firmware, but this is limited in capacity and will require some user configuration.

• The TV, DVD, and AUDIO buttons can be physically disabled if you are prepared to dismantle the handset (see post 3).

• A programmable universal remote control handset (such as Logitech Harmony) can be (and has been) used to operate all but the exotic functions of the HDR-FOX. However, if anything, the button layout tends to be less clear than the HDR-FOX handset.

• Custom firmware + WiFi offers the possibility of controlling the HDR-FOX via a smart-phone or tablet (without the TV, DVD, and AUDIO button functionality), and with the option of creating a personalised key layout by designing your own web page.
Also

I left that out because of the associated risk... not just the risk of buying a pig in a poke, but also the risk that you could end up with one where the buttons actually do work! I would say it is better to disable the buttons on an existing handset.

look around for a seller that you trust
I trust eBay and Amazon Marketplace sellers about as far as I can throw them.

I left that out because of the associated risk... not just the risk of buying a pig in a poke, but also the risk that you could end up with one where the buttons actually do work!
One ebay listing I looked at yesterday did state in the description that those 3 buttons do not work. Others on Amazon do have reviewers complaining that those three buttons do not work.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I bought a copy remote from an eBay seller - described as only DVR button working, supplied remote had four working buttons so may prise apart and disable buttons.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I bought a copy remote from an eBay seller - described as only DVR button working, supplied remote had four working buttons so may prise apart and disable buttons.
So you cant even get a proper fake when you want one :dunno:

So was it actually a good copy of the OEM remote, or otherwise what did the non-DVR modes do? Same as DVR, or fixed to specific devices, or what?

In the first case it might be helpful to publicise the listing.

And at least I wont be too annoyed if I break something in the cheap copy remote while trying to prise it open to disable the buttons. :)

Back