Reservations all lost

AlanB

Some time on Tues 23rd June, between 10am and 9pm, all my reservations were lost and no further recordings were made until I reentered them all. The only cause of lost reservations that I know of is a firmware update, but I thought these usually happened in the early hours of the morning. My firmware version is UKTFA 1.01.13 with an update date of 2nd Feb 2015, which seems a bit old for a recent update.

Does anyone know if Humax did an OTA update to the 2000T this week and if the latest version is the one above?

If not, does anyone know some other reason for a loss of reservations - and whether it can be prevented?

On my Fox T2 I was able to install some apps to prevent OTA updates and consequent reservation loss, but I assume there is still no customised firmware for the 2000T, so no chance of a similar app for it.

It's not an "OTA", it's a "DSO" i.e. a broadcaster induced retune event, not a firmware update.
Unlike a T2, you can't prevent it on a 2000 or 1800.
How Humax get away with peddling crap software like this in this day and age is beyond me, but they do.
You should complain to them. They will ignore you but it might make you feel better.

Please see Things Every... (click) section 2 for the equivalent situation pertaining to HD-FOX and HDR-FOX. We have coined the term "DSO" for retune events (stemming from the frequent revisions to the broadcast network that were occurring at the time of preparation for analogue switch-off - AKA Digital Switch Over).

With no means to create custom software for the 1800/2000T devices, there is nothing we can do to defuse the enforced retune events - and these clear your recording schedule.

Anyone reading this with regard to protecting an HD/HDR-FOX: see Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click).

It's not an "OTA", it's a "DSO" i.e. a broadcaster induced retune event, not a firmware update.
Unlike a T2, you can't prevent it on a 2000 or 1800.
How Humax get away with peddling crap software like this in this day and age is beyond me, but they do.
You should complain to them. They will ignore you but it might make you feel better.

Thanks for the clarification. They might at least have told me they'd done it. As it was, I lost several days of recordings before I discovered the empty reservation list, and then it was only by accident I discovered it, so I might have lost even more.

As prpr says, it's Humax's fault for allowing its products to receive a request from the broadcaster for a re-tune and interpreting it into a automatic re-tune (with no intervention from the user), which in turn removes all recording schedules and Favourites lists form the Humax, it really is a very poor implementation

As prpr says, it's Humax's fault for allowing its products to receive a request from the broadcaster for a re-tune and interpreting it into a automatic re-tune (with no intervention from the user), which in turn removes all recording schedules and Favourites lists form the Humax, it really is a very poor implementation
The original implementation on the 9200 didn't delete the schedule but it got changed by a software update (presumably as during DSO keeping the unpatched schedule would produce failed recording problems) but now that DSO is a distant memory I wonder whether Humax should reconsider the strategy. Better still of course would be to do what the custom firmware does and attempt to patch the schedule where possible.

It shouldn't even be necessary to patch the schedule. Now we expect no large scale changes to the multiplexes, it should be a simple matter to communicate the individual tuning database patches through the system. Add a service here, delete a service there, switch LCNs. Schedule reservations pertaining to those specific alterations might fail, but for easily understood reasons.

Now we expect no large scale changes to the multiplexes...
... in the short term. :D

http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/dbook.html
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/about_digital_uk/digital_uk_blog/D-Book_gets_smart_to_improve_retuning

Digital UK Blog on new D-Book (8) said:
Smart retunes: ........ Smart retunes should play a key role in helping to minimise viewer disruption during changes to the TV network, including events such as the future clearance of Freeview signals from airwaves in the 700MHz band.
But what do they know? :D

Back