[Resolved] Maintenance>long disk self test problem

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
I have had some recent recordings suffering from the odd break up so I ran a long disk self test which gave this result:
# 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 50% 1837 1068382561
I then ran fixdisk and no problems were found.
I ran another long disk self test with the same result:
# 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 50% 1839 1068382561

I don't like the look of 'read failure'. Can someone please give me some guidance as to what the long disk test result means/implies ?

Thanks

Thanks MartinLiddle - please see attached.
1 - Disk Information.jpg 2 -Attributes.jpg 3 - Self Test Logs.jpg
Please note that in the self test log items 17 to 21 were before I got hold of the machine. The wonderful FixDisk worked it's magic from then on except for the 'extended long' problem.

I don't see anything much wrong there. I find it a bit odd that you have been having problems with read failures whilst testing but there appear to be no reallocated sectors. Maybe prpr has a view.

I noticed in another thread that af123 suggested running fixdisk with -l. Will have a go with that and see what happens

Success ! I used the -l switch and fixdisk found and rectified the problem reported in the long disk test. It also found two more problems which it rectified successfully. It did take quite a few hours though (probably because I didn't use the -y switch).
I think I will run fixdisk with both -l and -y switches every couple of months from now on :)

Success ! I used the -l switch and fixdisk found and rectified the problem reported in the long disk test. It also found two more problems which it rectified successfully. It did take quite a few hours though (probably because I didn't use the -y switch).
Good; so what is the reallocated sector count now?

Back