RESUME PLAY/SERIES is the MOST important function of any video device, set top box, recorder, catch up service

Member 7823

RESUME PLAY/SERIES is the MOST important function of any video device, set top box, recorder, catch up service
Checkout the biggest organisations in the business Netflix, ITVhub, More4 and you will notice the main characteristic is not New Listings or Most Watched but RESUME PLAY/SERIES
Thats because people expect to be able to continue watching from where they left off without spending two hours fishing around for the right series, the right episode, the right time within the episode to continue
Any device that does not support RESUME PLAY/SERIES will not be selling this time next year

The 4000 series used to support this both for recordings and external media, but due to some college student getting their hands on the software this has been removed

For RESUME PLAY/SERIES to work effectively needs 3 rudimentary ingredients
  1. Store the "Watched Until Time" in a shortcut so it knows what time to resume playing (Humax rep says this is impossible but that used to work fine prior this last update)
  2. Create a RESUME menu showing recordings in order of Most Recently watched First (Same recordings, just a different order, 2 minute fix, worked fine prior the update until Humax removed the Recent menu)
  3. To Resume a Series the Episodes should be kept together (in a folder) and kept IN ORDER (Humax does not sort external media in order,
Wish - Would be real neat to just press Play on a folder and it resume playing the series (as per my 2003 Philips PVR)

Last edited:
RESUME>SERIES PLAY is the MOST important function of any video device
Well I certainly disagree with that. Most important for you perhaps and I would think it pretty useful for Netflix, et al, but for our, admittedly old fashioned, use of watching broadcast TV it's a function I'd rarely use even if I had it. I can think of several functions that are more important - resuming programme for example.

Most important would be to manage timer recordings (AR, padding or otherwise) and to play back those recordings. Resuming a recording is very useful. Anything else is a bonus.

Well I certainly disagree with that. .

Humax seem to agree with you since they have removed this feature
But I maintain they will not be able to sell another box by this time next year without this feature

BTW - Ability to resume a series will also be able to resume a single recording/program/movie

Last edited:
But I maintain they will not be able to sell another box by this time next year without this feature
I doubt if it will make any difference at all to their sales, as buyers will not be aware of the 'problem' (as you see it) until after they have bought it.

I doubt if it will make any difference at all to their sales, as buyers will not be aware of the 'problem' (as you see it) until after they have bought it.
Those that do their research first, ie read through this site and the other one(s) will be able to make an informed choice. I doubt even that will stop people buying a Humax.

Back