Returning to 1.03.06 factory firmware

Jeddy

Hi,
Please can someone assist?

I need to return my Hummy to factory 1.03.06 (what it came installed with) for return, after it had CF installed on it.

Having looked at
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remove_Modified_Firmware
I clicked on RMA and ok, ok, ok however when I reboot it still shows CF 2.19 and then RMA.
I tried installing pseudo factory firmware 1.03.06 however that fails part way through programming with E-HC either at 1%, 14% or 36%.

How do I progress to get back to factory fresh please?

Thanks,
Jeddy

The next step, after setting it into RMA mode, is to install an official firmware version (not 1.03.06) - I'd suggest 1.02.32. Once you've done that, the RMA (and CF 2.19) should stop appearing.
Then, if you want, you can try and install the unofficial 1.03.06 release.

Here is the Wiki page from your link in #1 :-

Prepare for Return to Manufacturer (RMA)

Custom Firmware version 2.13 onward has a built-in option called Return to Manufacturer (RMA) mode to allow for complete removal of custom firmware components from the internal hard disk. From the Web Interface Menu select >> Diagnostics >> Set-Return-to-manufacturer (RMA) Mode. Once done (there are several confirmation steps), restart your box and it will show 'RMA' on the front panel. This confirms that all custom firmware components have been removed from the internal hard disk. Now install a version of official firmware (not 1.03.06), the box will be back to a standard unmodified unit and the 'RMA' message should be removed, if the message is still displayed after installing the official firmware, there is a USB plug-in procedure DeRMA to remove it, (Notes HERE)

Ah, I think I've seen my misunderstanding.
Now install a version of official firmware (not 1.03.06)
in other words regardless of what version you want at the end install a version other than 1.03.06 - I'd been reading that as do not do this for a 1.03.06 install.
Fingers crossed that after downgrading (I thought I'd seen big warnings not to downgrade a 1.03.06 box), I'll be able to upgrade to 1.03.06 from the firmware I have despite the fact I seem to get the E-HC msg.
Thanks.

Is your box a new hardware RE version with the aerial and RF out ports arranged vertically?

I'd been reading that as do not do this for a 1.03.06 install.
This is the consequence of only reading some of the information. In summary:
  • The "new hardware" HDR-FOX /RE was delivered with 1.03.06, but officially 1.03.06 was not (and still is not) available by download or OTA. Intrepid users wanting to install custom firmware (no CF for 1.03.06 was available at the time) found that 1.02.32 did not work on the /RE box, and there was no way back to 1.03.06.
  • Further intrepid users found CF for 1.02.32 works if installed over 1.03.06. This provided the means to create an unofficial cloned download for 1.03.06 - but this is not an official download, and as you have found does not clear the RMA front-panel indication when installed to a CF system prepared for return to manufacturer. Subsequently CF for 1.03.06 (and now 1.03.11 by similar means) was created.
  • Installing official 1.02.32 followed by unofficial 1.03.06 should clear the RMA indication and result in a working /RE box.
  • "Old hardware" (non-/RE) has also been delivered with 1.03.06. This will work if 1.02.32 is installed. Humax make no stipulation regarding which of their officially-available firmwares are installed, so there is no reason a box (even a /RE box) cannot be returned with 1.02.32 installed (but Humax will then assume it's not working because the user has installed 1.02.32 - this may be a good thing or a bad thing).

I see this enquiry started on myhumax.org. It amazes me that people ask for Custom Firmware support anywhere other than the support forum for the CF.

Black Hole said:
I see this enquiry started on myhumax.org. It amazes me that people ask for Custom Firmware support anywhere other than the support forum for the CF.
It was interesting that Barry at myhumax.org did not mind the discussion happening over there. I'd imagine if one started a thread about file decryption it would be shut down pretty quickly, though I have seen Foxy mentioned;)

A number of items here.

I eventually managed to get 1.02.32 installed (even with that a few times it failed with the same E-HC error during the programming stage around 45%, but keep hitting the big button and it eventually went in.)

Many thanks for all for your patience and assistance, not least Brian for pointing me to the correct forum and Barry for his patience.

Regarding the RMA instructions, I would very respectfully suggest that they could be enhanced a little - af123's comment was key to me understanding what I was doing wrong. Thanks! Additionally Black Hole's post was very useful, probably because it pulled together a lot information which was spread around into one post that was relevant to what I was doing. I do acknowledge that all the information is around, but when you're new it's not easy to find it all and understand how it all hangs together, particularly to a specific task when I was struggling to understand different versions of boxes vs. what firmware to install when.

Regarding using the wrong forum - ok, it's a fair cop. I hadn't realised that myhumax was the official Humax forum - indeed I still can't find reference to that, however I get the impression it is. Unfortunately I'd been looking for sources of information regarding firmware on both fora together and I guess I just ended up on the myhumax forum so posted there without checking the source of the link I was referring to - dumb mistake, sorry.

Again, thanks all, much appreciated.

No worries - you're not the only one!

There are some on another forum who insist they shouldn't have to register on a different forum (ie this one) when they want information about the HD/HDR-FOX custom firmware. It's like owning a Caterham and expecting help from the Ford Owners Club just because it has a Ford engine.

I would very respectfully suggest that they could be enhanced a little
Hey, if only all requests were worded this polity, the Wiki now has this note :-

Note :- The non Custom Firmware version of 1.03.06 will not remove the RMA message, if 1.03.06 is required you must install official 1.02.32 first and then install the non Custom Version of 1.03.06 afterwards

I hadn't realised that myhumax was the official Humax forum - indeed I still can't find reference to that, however I get the impression it is.
It isn't. It is a thing that appears to be run by Barry, who doesn't work for Humax. His status is somewhat unclear (to me anyway).

This is strange, the E-HC error code is "incorrect Header Block (CRC-16)" possibly due to a corrupted firmware file, you would think this would appear every time or not at all
I obviously don't know what's going on inside the box, but I also found it surprising that this happened during the Programming stage - I'd have thought if there was a problem with the file it wouldn't have got that far, I guess it's only when it comes to programming that it validates the contents of the file rather than after download.

Many thanks for the Wiki update.. :)

Hey, if only all requests were worded this polity, the Wiki now has this note :-

Note :- The non Custom Firmware version of 1.03.06 will not remove the RMA message, if 1.03.06 is required you must install official 1.02.32 first and then install the non Custom Version of 1.03.06 afterwards
It may be worth adding another note to the effect that installing official 1.02.32 and then extracted 1.03.06 doesn't actually get you back to official 1.03.06.. you're probably better leaving it on 1.02.32 if you're going to return it. Not sure how that could be worked into the text though.

Agreed, as 1.02.32 is on the Humax download site, I can't see that they can object to a user downgrading from 1.03.06 to 1.02.32, I'll add something
EDIT
New Note :-
Note :- The non Custom Firmware version of 1.03.06 will not remove the RMA message, if 1.03.06 is required you must install official 1.02.32 first and then install the non Custom Version of 1.03.06 afterwards, however if this is done the firmware will not be exactly the same as the supplied version of 1.03.06, because of this the recommendation is to send the unit back with 1.02.32 as this has been downloaded from the official Humax site and downgrading the unit is permissible

Back