Rf2

Paul Armstrong

Hi , having problems with rf2 relaying signal to bedroom tv.Have cable coming out of rf2 running up to bedroom tv but there is no signal to tv.Do you need to turn rf2 on in the settings and if so how,thanks Paul

Is the FVP on or off? On it should pass through OK, but to pass through when off you need to disable the power saving option.

Yes it's on and the coax conected to bedroom tv has a magic eye on it and the red light on it is lit,I tune the TV but can't find the humax channel thanks

Magic eye? That sounds like Sky talk. When I said "pass through" I meant pass through - all you expect on the TV is the same broadcast channels you get on any other TV with an aerial signal. If you want to watch the output of the FVP you need to use the HDMI (or SCART, if it has one).

If the OP wants to watch his Humax content remotely, he could use a separate RF modulator to watch in poor quality, or he could connect a Humax H3 box to his remote TV and watch content, and live TV in HD quality (where available).

I have a h3 and not very impressed with it that is why i am trying to hardwire the humax box to my upstairs tv through the rf 2. My previous humax box was a freesat and through a modular I managed to achieve this and the tv picked the broadcast up on a anologe channel,but with freeview I can't manage to do this and I don't no why any advice,thanks

i am trying to hardwire the humax box to my upstairs tv through the rf 2.
The RF2 from what? As said before, to get live TV from your aerial and/or video from the Freeview box to another room, you need some sort of RF modulator external to the box with an aerial connection and a video input from the Freeview box as there is no modulator in the Freeview box like there is in some Sky boxes.
Although it is pretty clear what you are trying to achieve, it is not at all clear from your posts exactly what connections and hardware that you have, and how you have connected these. For instance, what are you referring to when you mention 'rf2'? Please clarify

By being so vague and using ususual terms you are not helping us help you. Please note that in my replies I am not being lazy about use of punctuation and capital letters - they help to understand the text.

I have a h3 and not very impressed with it
You mean the Humax H3? What's wrong with it? If it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, that's what needs debugging. Using something like the H3 (or perhaps some other DLNA client device) should be the solution to your problem.

(If you need help with terms, see Glossary - click)

that is why i am trying to hardwire the humax box to my upstairs tv through the rf 2.
You mean RF OUT (that's the label on the aerial-through socket on the rear of the FVP-4000T)? All the RF OUT socket does is pass through the aerial signal. It does not include a modulated version of whatever the FVP-4000T is playing through its HDMI socket. If you want to do that, you will need an external modulator such as an old VCR or this device (click), and connect it to the phono outputs from the FVP-4000T. The picture quality will be very poor compared with a TV connected directly to the 4000T by HDMI (or even by phono).

My previous humax box was a freesat and through a modular I managed to achieve this and the tv picked the broadcast up on a anologe channel,but with freeview I can't manage to do this and I don't no why any advice,thanks
I presume you mean a "modulator", as per above. Okay, so if you are already doing what I suggested, the problem isn't with the 4000T. As long as it is turned on, the modulator will "broadcast" an analogue TV channel regardless of whether it has an input, so you need to get that working first and you can connect the modulator directly to the target TV. The TV needs to be able to receive analogue TV (some are not, now we no longer have a domestic analogue service), and it needs its input source set to the analogue tuner. Then you need to tune it to the modulator output. If the tuning doesn't find the modulator output, there's something wrong with it (either the modulator or the TV).

If you intend to link the 4000T RF OUT to the modulator ANT IN (this isn't essential, but you may want to continue to receive Freeview directly with the TV), you will need to ensure the modulator's channel setting does not conflict with any of the Freeview channels in your area - for information on that see https://hummy.tv/forum/link-forums/digital-uk-industry-channel-listings.34/.

Something else that may give you trouble is that the signals on an HDMI lead can obliterate the signals on an RF lead. If the modulator works when next to the TV but not when it is next to the 4000T, move the HDMI lead away from the RF stuff, and check you are using decent screened HDMI cables and good quality RF leads (not that awful thin cable sold in supermarkets).

There are alternatives. Some forum members have reported acceptable pictures using analogue video (in this case from the phono sockets) over decent quality cable 15m+ (certainly this will be better than modulated RF). You can also use HDMI up to about 15m (using very good cable - the specification limit is 10m, and that works for me), and there are repeaters available able to duplicate the HDMI output and launch it further. There are even adapters that can send HDMI over 50m of Ethernet-type cable (not connected to a network!). Note that "good quality" does not necessarily mean "very expensive" - or vice versa!

Something the H3 provides (but none of the solutions above offer) is control of what is being output to the TV. You will still need an IR repeater (which is presumably what you meant by "magic eye"), and these can either be connected by radio link, or (in the case of Sky-type kit) as a back feed in the aerial lead - but you will still need a way to launch the IR to the 4000T (whereas the Sky Magic Eye controls a Sky box directly).

The ultimate solution is to do what we do: source a second hand Humax HDR-FOX T2, install the custom firmware, and access recordings over the home network from practically any device we like (including a second HDR-FOX or HD-FOX).

Last edited:
So to sum up I can't just run a cable out of the rf 2 on the back of humax and expect to be able to watch on the second TV in the bedroom it's just no that simple, thanks for all your replys

So to sum up I can't just run a cable out of the rf 2 on the back of humax and expect to be able to watch on the second TV in the bedroom it's just no that simple, thanks for all your replys
But (if I have been interpreting your posts correctly) you said you were using a modulator with a Freesat receiver, so why not do the same here?

So to sum up[,] I can't just run a cable out of the rf 2 RF OUT on the back of [the] humax Humax and expect to be able to watch on the second TV in the bedroom[,] it's just no[t] that simple, [.] thanks [Thanks] for all your replys replies[.]
It's a good job we're not too lazy to answer!

Something the H3 provides (but none of the solutions above offer) is control of what is being output to the TV. You will still need an IR repeater (which is presumably what you meant by "magic eye"), and these can either be connected by radio link, or (in the case of Sky-type kit) as a back feed in the aerial lead - but you will still need a way to launch the IR to the 4000T (whereas the Sky Magic Eye controls a Sky box directly).
When using the H3, there is absolutely no requirement for an IR repeater/magic eye, nor is there any need for an aerial/RF cable.

Hi , having problems with rf2 relaying signal to bedroom tv.Have cable coming out of rf2 running up to bedroom tv but there is no signal to tv.Do you need to turn rf2 on in the settings and if so how,thanks Paul

If you are expecting to watch the box and it's recordings remotely, in common with all newer kit it doesn't have the required internal modulator (including new Sky-HD boxes). You can connect a PAL analogue modulator to a analogue output or a digital modulator (DVB-T) to the hdmi out using a splitter. The latter will give you HD and stereo audio provided the remote TV has a HD DVB-T capable tuner. All Freeview-HD ones will work as will most HD TV's (They generally are DVB-T HD capable).

Back