RFE: improve detection of failed recordings & attempt to record alternative showing on failure

cdmackay

please consider this RFE...

When the CF/WebIF detects a "failed recording", if the programme's info is available, look for, and record, an alternate showing of the programme, by CRID (or even by smart lookup as per e.g. series/episode matching as done elsewhere).

If generally find that, by the time I've noticed the failed recording, it's too late, but if I had noticed in time, there would have been a re-showing I could have recorded.

Of course, this only applies when CF/WebIF can detect there has been a failed recording, e.g. only an hmt file present, etc? I get this occasionally, without understanding why.

For extra credit, we could check that every event in the Schedule does result in a recording, barring schedule removals, and recording deletions, both of which we can detect (even if done from the standard UI?). Thus improving detection of failed/missing recordings.

thanks for considering, apols if this has been discussed before.

RS already includes some of this in that it will send you an email if a failed recording is spotted on the disk. At the moment they're also shown at the top of the RS home page. One of the things on my to-do list is to add a button to make it easy to search for a repeat showing and set it to record.

RS already includes some of this in that it will send you an email if a failed recording is spotted on the disk. At the moment they're also shown at the top of the RS home page. One of the things on my to-do list is to add a button to make it easy to search for a repeat showing and set it to record.
The "problem" with the RS notifications is that it occurs overnight which means that by the time it is manually processed by a human it will be too late to schedule an alternative on a +1 channel and sometimes too late for a +24 channels.
One common cause for missed recordings is where a sporting event delays a programme beyond the AR wait time or where the BBC makes a last minute channel change between BBC 1 &2.
Now that we have the RTS capability it becomes possible to consider something that monitors EPG changes and failed recordings in close to real time and automatically schedules alternative recordings.

It's an interesting idea and definitely something which will be useful. It looks like it would be a fair amount of work though.
I don't know about other people but I don't have time to take on something like this in the short term at least.

It's an interesting idea and definitely something which will be useful. It looks like it would be a fair amount of work though.
I don't know about other people but I don't have time to take on something like this in the short term at least.
I would be interested but doubt that I will have enough time in the next year to look into it, I have another (non Humax) project that needs to take priority.

On of the difficulties will actually testing the code, real failed recordings are too rare and unpredictable so you would need to inject fake entries into the schedule to create failed recordings.

thanks for the comments, all; yes I knew about the failed recordings, that was the point. Then it occurred to me that we could check that every schedule event results in a recording.

Anyway, this may just serve as a placeholder — I appreciate it's not a trivial piece of work, and equally not all that often needed.

thanks again.

These days, there are catch-up services to plug the gap.

For some proportion of programmes, on some channels. But yes, that does further lower the urgency of this one, agreed. Just an idea, anyway.

thanks again for the comments.

One problem I have often encountered with alternative showings is that the sign language showing shares the same CRID (if that is the correct term).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

One problem I have often encountered with alternative showings is that the sign language showing shares the same CRID (if that is the correct term).

yup, any solution should perhaps have an option to prioritise SL over non-SL, or vice versa of course, if both are offered as alternatives.

You could only go on the data in the synopsis being marked "S", if that can be parsed and if the broadcasters get it right!

Back