RGB TV problem via scart

jdlfreetime

I have just purchased a Humax HDR1000s & I am very impressed with the features so far. The only complaint I have is the problem experienced when you start up the box from standby. The RGB signal to TV defaults to Composite Video mode. If you then go into the Menu setting & select CVS & then select RGB again all is resolved, until you put box back into standby mode & then switch on again. Same problem. The only solution I can actually find is switching off quickly & then back on & this seems to somehow resolve issue. I have a Panasonic CRT TV & do not wish to change this at the moment to a new Plasma/LCD, mainly to lack of funds, plus also my Standard definition picture is actually fair superior picture quality compared to new Flat screen tvs being sold in the shops. If you are using HDMI then you probably don’t know about this fault. But for Customers investing in a Humax Freesat Recorder, this really is a overlook by Humax in the design. A friend of mine has similar problem, so this must clearly be a fault with Humax Software. I have updated to new software this weekend since using box for first time + also done a Factory reset. Hopefully Humax will take note & resolve in next update? Has anyone else experienced same fault/have any useful suggestions?

I have a Humax HDR Fox-T2, as well as a Humax DTR T1000 YouView box both connected to a B&O 32" CRT TV and I do not have any issues when switching on either box that changes form RGB to CVS, so I am not convinced it is simply a Humax issue.

Have you checked the settings on the TV, perhaps a menu needs tweaking in the settings for that particular SCART port?

I have tested this on 2 other TVs in our Home & they all do the same thing. We also have Humax 9200 & 9300 PVRs which work perfectly ok with the RGB picture when booting up from standby. So this has got to be something that HUMAX need to investigate. I will contact them directly & hopefully report back - There must be other users with same problem - unless they don't realise that PVR should not do this. Anyone else out there with problem using RGB from Standby?

I doubt there is much of a pool to ask - how many people are still driving steam tellies via SCART?

No Issues with my HDR-1000s. Connected with SCART and HDMI it defaults to SCART and is always set to RGB (which I think is the default).

I have just purchased a Humax HDR1000s and found exactly the same issue when using the SCART connection. I put it on standby in the evening and come to use it in the morning and at first it doesnt show any picture and then when it does it is fuzzy. The first time I thought the SCART lead had come out a fraction and reset the Humax HDR1000s at the plug and pushed it back in. This morning it did exactly the same thing. As JDLFreetime has stated the only way to reset it is via switiching off and on again at the plug (very annoying). I also have an old TV which doesnt have an HDMI input (going to upgrade at some point). It worked fine with an older Freeview Humax box and scart. Did you get a resolution for this issue form Humax or do I need to call them about it?

I am glad someone else has similar problem. It is NOT the TV. I have tested Freetime box on 3 TV sets & they all do the same thing. All my other PVRS from Humax work fine.

No still awaiting Humax to answer my complaint. Recently sent them a reminder + also suggested I sent them a video showing problem. I am sure they are aware but simply not interested. Just want to sell the boxes in the shops. This is very a lack of planning in designing freetime pvr. Hopefully Humax will resolve in next software update. To cure the problem each time, I have to go into TV picture menu & select from RGB to CBVS & then when you reselect RGB problem is resolved. It only happens when you start the box again from previously using it.

With regards anyone making sarcastic remarks regarding "old CRT" TVs, some of us can't afford to purchase a new TV as yet + also the CRT actually has a better picture in Standard Definition. My TV was very expensive to purchase & still has a few years life before I decide WHEN I want to purchase a new TV. For anyone technical out there, the TV picture is broadcast in "Interlaced" mode & the old CRT TVs receive this - hence better picture. The newer HD TV's can only decode TV picture in "progressive" mode hence poor inferior picture. I do know what I am talking about. I used to sell TVs many years ago before Freeview & digital TV was around.

So if anyone else has a problem, don't just read this forum, send a email/phone Humax directly. For a company with a high profile, hopefully a good conclusion to resolving some of these silly software bugs/errors.

I've been having this problem with my HD-FOX T2

It seems to happen every time the machine comes out of automatic or timer standbys, as opposed to user ones.

After a bit of experimenting I established that the RGB pins themselves were still active - it was only the switching voltage on pin 16 of the SCART that had gone wrong.

This was really handy as when you select composite from the menus the RGB pins go dead, and so I was expecting the same with this bug.

Anyway - I ended up taking the machine to bits and desoldering pin 16's 75 ohm SMD resistor - I could then re-route pin 16 to +5V through a 470ohm resistor.

A bit OTT I know but the problem is gone :)

Hope this helps somebody although there can't be many SCART users left - I'm only bothered as I'm still nursing a series 1 TiVo.

Back