RS EPG doesn't match the actual version and has channels missing

Chris Green

Having moved recently from the London area, and retuned my box (my mast is now Mendip) as I live near Bridgwater, the tuning process asked if I wanted England or Wales. However, this didn't filter everything I wanted out and I still had a shed-load of '800s' including BBC 1 Wales.

To start afresh, I rid my box of everything by running an auto-scan with no aerial input.

Then I set about doing a manual tune using what appear to be the MUXES used at Mendip which I'm hoping someone is going to confirm are right (33,35,48,49,51*,52,54,55,58 - *51 is for local channel 8 and doesn't seem to have anything on it from where I am). I have every reason to think these are right as they all have the same 61-63% strength and 100% quality.

I certainly have all the channels I'm expecting now with no funnies. However, the RS version of the EPG still shows no BBC 1, BBC 2 and ITV 1 ,and no BBC 1 HD although at channel 807, it shows BBC 1 HD Wales. The settings are also still persisting in showing EPG Region "nown (12368)" - I take it that's "Unknown" with 2 letters blocked out.

Am I right in thinking that the region is dictated by the combination of MUX channel numbers? In which case, is the fact that I can't add in 51 as there's nothing on it part of my problem?

Is there any way I can use PuTTY to alter the region within the Humax to the correct one for around here?

Apologies if this has been dealt with, but I found it difficult to work out what wording to use to search for the problem

Last edited:
The 'Region' used by the Remote Scheduler is sent to the RS database by your Humax, however if your Humax is tuned to multiple regions the RS won't work properly. Check the region (Network) displayed in Diagnostics >> Channel information, they should all be the same

channel-info.jpg

Last edited:
Having moved recently from the London area, and retuned my box (my mast is now Mendip) as I live near Bridgwater, the tuning process asked if I wanted England or Wales. However, this didn't filter everything I wanted out and I still had a shed-load of '800s' including BBC 1 Wales.
That won't filter anything out at all - choosing England declares it as your primary region, and services on duplicate LCNs from your non-primary region(s) get allocated into the 800's (etc).

Then I set about doing a manual tune using what appear to be the MUXES used at Mendip which I'm hoping someone is going to confirm are right (33,35,48,49,51*,52,54,55,58 - *51 is for local channel 8 and doesn't seem to have anything on it from where I am). I have every reason to think these are right as they all have the same 61-63% strength and 100% quality.
The recommended tuning process is described in Things Every... (click) section 2.

I certainly have all the channels I'm expecting now with no funnies. However, the RS version of the EPG still shows no BBC 1, BBC 2 and ITV 1 ,and no BBC 1 HD although at channel 807, it shows BBC 1 HD Wales. The settings are also still persisting in showing EPG Region "nown (12368)" - I take it that's "Unknown" with 2 letters blocked out.
You probably need to resync the RS with your new configuration using one of the diagnostics - see the ones prefixed "rs" in the wiki list HERE (click).

Is there any way I can use PuTTY to alter the region within the Humax to the correct one for around here?
No.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps - in the end I took the bull by the horns and used the PuTTY access to re-register the box and that's done the trick - I now have "WEST" showing in the RS site's settings and the missing stations are back so I clearly was right on the right track to enter the MUXES manually as I was never going to be free of Wenvoe if left to the Humax.

Where I did draw a blank was wondering why the RS site didn't agree with my carefully retuned box.

Thanks both again. Chris

Last edited:
From within PuTTY I used the command line "cli", followed by "rs register (my e-mailaddress)" - presumably it has the same sort of effect as rs/sync or rs/chanpush when run from the web-if. I really must stick with the web-if diagnostics in future - I'd forgotten about them! That's the trouble with anything that works for months even years and then doesn't.

Just for anyone else reading this: the OP did not "use PuTTY to alter the region within the Humax" - a Telnet command line session (using PuTTY as the console/client) was used to interact with the Remote Scheduling web service to resync the info at the remote end with the current state of the HDR-FOX, and could (most likely) also have been achieved with the rs/sync diagnostic via the WebIF diagnostics page... or by being patient enough for it to catch up of its own accord.

[QUOTE=" or by being patient enough for it to catch up of its own accord.[/QUOTE]

Not so sure about that - RS was accessed several times during today, and each time it correctly reported that it had last 'seen' the Humax seconds before. Also I had the channels how I wanted them yesterday, so if it didn't get updated at the Humax's daily sparrow-fart reboot when was it going to happen?

Back