[RS] EPG Showing Wrong TV Region

soulrebelno1

Hi,

Can anyone help?

When I view the EPG page for my Hummy it shows information for the Yorkshire region, which is wrong, I'm located in the Granada region!

I've tried using chanpush and diskpush which both worked, but I still get the Yorkshire EPG. I've looked to see if there's a setting I could change but there doesn't seem to be one. I don't even know how this has happened or even how the EPG picks up the region information for my Hummy, as there's no help whatsoever.

To be honest, from day one I've had nothing but trouble with the remote scheduling service. I've spent hours trying to get it to work properly. The Media upload information didn't work for days, auto scheduling doesn't work properly, even the registration process went wrong, although it's now active.

There doesn't seem to be a way of contacting whoever runs the website as there's no contact information, so I would be very grateful for any information that would help.

I was going to delete my account information but I can't even do that!

Cheers.

This is the EPG on the RS web site? The EPG data is sourced from af123's region, and patched up when schedules are sent to your device. Diskpush and chanpush update the server with your current media set and recording schedule, and your current population of channels (for EPG filtering).

Sorry to hear you are having problems, I think it is safe to say most people find it superb.

Contact is through this forum, it will get af123's attention when he is next on line. Meanwhile you might like to read through the relevant topic HERE (click), and the Wiki entry HERE (click).

Hi,

Yep, it's the Remote Scheduling Service EPG, the WebIF EPG works fine.

Thanks for the links but I've read all of them before, unfortunately they were not that helpful, I've spent hours looking for the right information with no luck.

To add to the comments in #2, the EPG used on the Remote schedule is not taken from your Humax, everyone in the UK is using the same EPG that resides on the RS server, although there will be some differences, Regional New for example, I have not found it to be a problem and as this topic is very rarely mentioned on the forum, I am guessing most other users don't find it a problem either

To be honest, from day one I've had nothing but trouble with the remote scheduling service. I've spent hours trying to get it to work properly. The Media upload information didn't work for days, auto scheduling doesn't work properly, even the registration process went wrong, although it's now active.

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems; most users don't have any problems getting it set up! Post here or create new threads for specific problems and we'll do our best to help.

Regarding the EPG region, I do have plans to address that and make the service multi-region, but haven't found the time yet. It also doesn't seem to affect most users as the main programming is consistent across the regions and the RS algorithm can accommodate most variations one way or another.

'Ezra Pound' there is a problem with receiving the wrong RS EPG region information. I wanted to record 'Granada News & Weather' which doesn't show up because the wrong region information is shown in my RS EPG, all I see is the Yorkshire TV region 'Calendar News'. So, I picked 'Calendar News', which you say shouldn't be a problem, but it is, because the RS EPG sends the wrong programme information to my Hummy, it looks for 'Calendar News' but can't find it, resulting in the programme not being recorded.

I've had loads of problems and I know that a least one other person has had the registration problem. Your password gets 'lost' when you try to log back in when you first register. I clicked on pie chart to look at the media information on my Hummy, it refused to upload the information for days, then eventually started working? Yesterday I didn't have an EPG, the page was completely blank, I used chanpush which uploaded the information, still got the Yorkshire region EPG though. I constantly get this message in my rs.log: 'Error encountered, Error 6 - Couldn't resolve host name' or 'Error encountered, Error: 28 - Timeout was reached', I don't know why this happens, sometime the communications are just fine other times they're not.

Is it such a big deal to record all the Granada News and Weathers (locally) and then just delete the ones you don't want?

RS EPG sends the wrong programme information to my Hummy, it looks for 'Calendar News' but can't find it, resulting in the programme not being recorded.

This will only be a problem if you use Accurate Recording, because the Humax will look for the wrong Program ID, if you add padding to the end of the program, the Humax will record using start and stop times rather than AR ID codes e.g. Menu Settings >> Preferences >> Recording >> End Padding Time = 1Min.

I could do but it's a lot of hassle, that's why I signed up to the RS website and got my Hummy connected to the web. With all this technology available to us, you would think you would be able to record a couple of programme at the weekend!

Another problem as well, is that these programmes are never in the same time slot. RS auto doesn't update the schedule if the time changes, it just sends one recording schedule for that programme and that's it.

I use Accurate Recording because I don't want to miss the programme (when it works), I've missed too many programmes using padding.

You are being very belligerent. These facilities have served many people very well, and are provided for free by hobbyists in free time - even the hosting costs are covered for you.

If you don't like it, you don't have to use it. Record everything and delete what you don't want.

By the way, you can use the CF facilities (or the RS) to select auto-padding on a case-by-case basis, and auto-padding is more reliable than AR.

Another problem as well, is that these programmes are never in the same time slot. RS auto doesn't update the schedule if the time changes, it just sends one recording schedule for that programme and that's it.

This is incorrect. An RS schedule responds to EPG updates just the same as a locally set recording (it becomes a locally set recording). If you have looked at the schedule entry on the Humax via the TV screen, and exited by clicking "OK", you will have converted it to a manual timer with no tracking or series linking at all (see HERE section 3 para 4).

This presumes, of course, that the EPG gets updated soon enough for the Humax to adjust its timers. In order to do that in has to be awake at some time prior to the actual recording, but after the EPG is updated by the broadcasters. This is true of any recording. In order for schedules or schedule changes from the RS to take effect, it must be awake to download the schedule, and then go through a reboot, prior to the recording time.

RS auto doesn't update the schedule if the time changes, it just sends one recording schedule for that programme and that's it.
.. and then the standard Humax software will adjust the schedule if the time changes. RS only adds things to the standard schedule, it's all handled by the standard Humax software after that.

Edit: Black Hole beat me too it.

Sorry, but I'm not being belligerent!

I appreciate the work that the programmers do in their own time, all I'm trying to do is point out some problems I've had. I could of kept quite, not pointed out these problems, and just do my scheduling locally and with comments like yours I might just do that.

What's the use in having a forum if you can't have your say? Other people are going to have the same problems, as well.

I find that user feedback makes a product a lot better.

Sorry, but I'm not being belligerent!
Sorry but your writing style does come over highly belligerent. There's no problem having your say, but you need to do it in a way that would not attract a punch in the mouth if you did it in person. A bit more respectful request rather than vociferous demand would be appreciated.

(We don't mind if you do it locally, I happen to think that's the best option anyway)

I find that user feedback makes a product a lot better.
Feedback, problem reports, comments and suggestions are definitely appreciated and suggestions may well be implemented if the relevant people have time.

Even without modified software the way the Humax works is different to the Topfield. MyStuff was a complete UI replacement written using a software API fully supported by the manufacturer. It was able to completely replace many parts of the system to do all sorts of clever things. We don't have the ability to interface with the Humax in the same way but that doesn't mean that some of the good stuff that MyStuff does can't be added in some way.

I think that you will find that a lot of what you want to do is achievable, you just need to think about it a little differently and understand how the standard Humax schedule works, and how much you are at the mercy of the broadcasters.

So:

• RS currently always shows the Yorkshire region EPG (fixing that is on the todo list but not high priority). There are a number of algorithms it uses to try and find the right programme in your local region - in most cases it gets it right even if the programme names don't match.
  • Recording the parts of a series (as defined by the broadcaster) that are on at a weekend isn't something that your Humax can do out of the box. RS can do it by automatically scheduling each recording as a one-off event a week ahead as they appear in the EPG. Those events are still linked to the EPG so the standard Humax software will track changes in the scheduled running time as it would for any other recording.
  • The DNS resolution failures and timeouts you're seeing in the log are indicative of a local networking problem - in particular the DNS resolution failure wouldn't occur even if the RS server were overloaded.
Deep breaths everyone!

OK, I'll take a deep breath...

Can you point out were I was disrespectful and were the vociferous demand is?

Just read your own posts. You (the newbie) have three of us (very old hands) telling you to tone it down, but you still think you're right. We have also tried to tell you the facilities are there if you use them properly, but you don't seem interested in trying them - you have given no feedback to the specific suggestions. All in all, considering the volume of posts and topics started, I can easily interpret your output as a concerted attempt to dis the custom facilities in the search results.

af123 has provided chapter and verse, so sort out your Internet problem (which probably accounts for most of your frustration) and give it a fair trial - then, if it really doesn't work in the way it should (not the way you expect), provide some detailed feedback about what you tried and what happened.

Count the "likes" and think about it.

It's clear the OP is having problems, and perhaps something good will come out of it. It's a pity the problems were not presented as a clear statement of facts without the hysteria.

Quite a few people seem to suffer trauma moving from MyStuff : )
4921 probably wouldn't consider himself a technical user but he did a quick test, found and reported a bug and probably didn't spend hours on doing so.

Back