[rs] Multi-region - limited testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking for a small number of volunteers to help test the next version of the Remote Scheduling system. This new version supports regional EPGs rather than presenting everyone with the Yorkshire programming. I know it has been a long time coming!

There are a some other advantages to this version too:
  • It uses regional service IDs to match channels to their EPG data rather than channel numbers/names which should make it work properly for those who have renumbered some channels on the box;
  • As a consequence, it doesn't care what the channels are called (so the impending BBC HD rename won't force you to retune to continue using RS);
  • EPG data is crowd sourced so my box/Internet connection stops being a single point of failure.
I don't want to put too many people on initially as it will make it harder to monitor so don't be offended if you aren't selected - I need a spread of people across different regions to prove it before rolling it out to everyone. Don't worry though, I expect the trial period to be fairly short.

So, if you use RS fairly regularly and are interested in trying this, please ensure you are running RS version 0.8.0 and that the Settings page in the RS Portal shows a region and network ID against your device as shown in the picture below. If you don't have both a region name and number then make sure you're on 0.8.0 and run the chanpush diagnostic.

Once that's done, please post a message with your EPG region and whether you have renumbered any channels.

mregion1.png

Thanks!

Thanks all. I suppose there wouldn't be too many people using renumbering /and/ RS given the interaction problems with the current system!

I've sent you a PM with further instructions..

No renumbered. I'm sure I just upgraded to rs 0.8
Model HDR
CFW Version 2.15
RS Version 0.7.3
Disk Size 447.6GiB
EPG Region South East (12338)

I'm on EPG region North East and do have some renumbering though not on channels I usually record on

Happy to give it a test if you still need volunteers

Happy to give it a test if you still need volunteers

Thanks. The initial testing is going well and we're shaking a few last bugs out of the system. I'm planning a more open beta test shortly and I'll post the details here.

Thanks. The initial testing is going well and we're shaking a few last bugs out of the system. I'm planning a more open beta test shortly and I'll post the details here.
Northern Ireland region and no renumbering. I don't have icons for UTV on the RS EPG although I do have on the box.
CFW Version 2.15
RS Version 0.8.0
Disk Size 447.6GiB
EPG Region Northern Ireland (12376)

Thought I would add ( in case it is of any interest ) that I can also receive Irish channels from the South of Ireland and these get listed in the 800 channel numbers. Of course when I switch to one of these channels I lose the Freeview EPG, but it comes back very soon after I switch back to Freeview.
N.B. This is in addition to the RTE channels which ARE broadcast on Freeview channels 51, 52, 53 .

Do you get failed recordings?
Not really. I get the odd "unable to track" message. In fact it wasn't until last week when I upgraded my firmware to the latest, that I got an email telling me I had a failed recording in December!
I had a quick check through my recordings and they seem ok.

After about a week's trial with an HDR tuned to both West and Wales and recording the daily regional news for both, I have concluded it works OK as long as you use auto-padding rather than AR. I have taken the precaution of a daily EPG refresh reminder scheduled for both regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back