RS portal search idea

darkflare

I've been thinking alot recently about what missing from the RS portal and hummy epg. The web epg itself is an amazing accomplishment and as a programme guide I cant fault it. Other comments I have made in the past have been with the idea of fixing the EPG but I've realised its perfect. What I really want is a search tool.

The spec is as follows:
In the search query you select:
  1. Multiple channels to search
  2. Multiple genres to search
  3. optional keyword search (probably using the existing rs syntax)
  4. Select list of banished titles to remove from results.
  5. Save name for the search.
Now 1,2 and 3 are fairly obvious. 4 is a bit more complex. I would like to save a list of programmes (probably by title) to banish from the search results. I'd also like to mange this list such that the list would look like this:
Banish List
Name: films
items:
"6th Sense" : seen
"Jermey Kyle" : banned
"Avatar" : seen recently
With this you can set each item in the banish list to multiple states Seen, Seen recently and Banished (Banished for things you seriously don't even want to consider watching ever!)
From the search query you select a list of banished to use on this search.
5. Save the search so that each week you can do the same search when you have new epg data and go through and mark the items for the hummy to record for you.
The results I would like to take the following formatt:
Channel Title Description External links (imdb, whatever) Record options
E4 scrubs funny stuff IMDB, ROTTEN TOMATOES Series(link) Programme(link)
From the record options a popup would open revealing the dates and times the programme is on in order to choose which to watch.
A nice to have would be that only one instance of a programme appears in the list such that the same show appearing twice in a week would not appear twice in the list.
I have considered writing my own tool to achieve this end by parsing the epg.db and such however it would be much smarter to incorporate it into the RS portal where it can be accessed whilst the hummy is offline.
So people of the internet, what do you think. Does this correlate with anyone else's wishes?

It is obviously down to personal requirements, but I think most of what you want can achieved with RS Auto. It will obviously search for a group of keywords continuously, working on new EPG data as it arrives and sending you an E-mail of results, I think it also has a ‘not to be included’ function. I’m not a big Jermey Kyle viewer either, but I wouldn’t mind having to reject his entry when it turns up in an E-Mail report of ‘found’ keywords

It is obviously down to personal requirements, but I think most of what you want can achieved with RS Auto.

Yes, RS Auto goes some way to meeting those requirements - for example I have a rule which automatically schedules any events which occur on BBC One HD on a Sunday, are more than 2 hours long, include the phrase "Formula 1" in the programme name and include "prix" but not "highlights" or "qualifying" in the synopsis.

Also, RS Auto has just scheduled the next series of the Walking Dead to record from next Monday without any intervention from me : )

Once you have created an auto rule, you can always click on it and choose 'Show matching events'.

I was sure I had seen some 'And /Or/Nand/Nor/Not' type rules that can be used with RS Auto but I couldn't find them

You can use something like "+prix -qualifying -highlights" as the search term..

I've managed to get single words working e.g. "+today -news" containing today but not news , But how about spaces e.g. "+James Bond -goldfinger" seems to find anything containing james but not goldfinger, rather than the whole name

I've managed to get single words working e.g. "+today -news" containing today but not news , But how about spaces e.g. "+James Bond -goldfinger" seems to find anything containing james but not goldfinger, rather than the whole name
I think in your example that the space between James and Bond would be interpreted as AND(+). You would then get results for either or both. It probably found no instance of Bond.

RS Auto does provide some functionality however I find it a bit restrictive. Its great if you know what you are looking for in terms of keywords such as James Bond.

The issue I have is its one channel or all channels. I'd like to create a selection of channels to include.

I'm struggling to improve upon my original request. I think I'll have another stab at it later! Thanks for the responses.

Have you tried double quotes around James Bond?

Yes, +"hunt for red" = found only all 3 words, I had tried this earlyer and got finds for just 'hunt' for some reason

BTW
If you have a play with this please don't search on very common words, I originally used "news and weather" but when that gets shortened to just "news" RS Auto finds too many matches and locks up

I just tried a new auto entry with
+"News Summary"
in the Name field and it properly just found just events with that string.

Are you trying this through auto or via the main EPG search? The latter doesn't understand the boolean operators.

I just tried a new auto entry with +"News Summary" in the Name field and it properly just found just events with that string.

Are you trying this through auto or via the main EPG search? The latter doesn't understand the boolean operators.

The first time I tried the double quotes it didn't work for some reason, I have edited out my original post and put something in the WiKi HERE

4291 : What happened to morecambe and wise?

I know it's sad, but they had a good run :)

I have a question about the RS auto option - once the auto-search has found and scheduled a match, should it then continue searching for more matches? I've been recording 'The 70s' on BBC2 (quite interesting viewing for someone who missed said decade by 47 days!), but accidentally deleted the series link even before the series had finished. At the point I realised this, the next episode wasn't in the EPG (I think there was a break due to something else being on instead), so I set up a search in RS auto. After a day or two it found and scheduled a match, but then yesterday I noticed that it picked up what looked like a repeat run of the series (probably a different CRID), and it also picked up 'Sounds of the 70s' on radio 2, which I didn't want at all!

So what I'm asking is, should an RS Auto entry be automatically removed from one's search list once it has found and scheduled a match, or can an option be added to allow this?

RS keeps a history of things that have been found and acted upon so it shouldn't schedule the same thing twice, even if you remove the scheduled recording. You can clear that history with the 'Reset matched events' action from the menu. Everything is subject to the broadcaster getting things right of course!

The main idea of RS is to allow for continuous watching for things that interest you so it usually makes sense to leave entries there. Since it's watching the tail end of the EPG data, you have enough time to cancel anything that it throws up if you don't want it.

Back