run and log a regular speedtest

rodp

Hi all,

Just changed my broadband package and would like to run and record some regular speedtests for a little while and wondered as my hdr is on most of the time, is there something that could do this on there already.

I came across https://www.omglinux.com/test-internet-speed-from-the-command-line/

Can this be run from linux via a cron job and recorded in a log file?

or perhaps there is something already available on the humax/custom firmware?

Thanks

Rodp

In general, existing Linux utilities are compiled for PC hardware. The only way to provide such a utility on the HDR-FOX is if source code is available and it can be compiled for the MIPS processor and limited memory resources available.

my thought would be to download and upload a file from/to a remote server
You can install the curl package (if it isn't already installed) it supports both download and upload (-F option)
I think the command reports the speed

We also have wget for download but don't have the corresponding wput upload command available

From 36Mb/s copper to 74Mb/s fibre (worked out cheaper after a bit of hagling!). The upload speed is double what I used to get but seems to be a little erratic and so I wanted to take some measurements over time to see how it varied.

In general, existing Linux utilities are compiled for PC hardware. The only way to provide such a utility on the HDR-FOX is if source code is available and it can be compiled for the MIPS processor and limited memory resources available.
ok, so that sounds like it might be easier then to turn on my old laptop (running ubuntu (14) mate) and let that test the line over time.

Thanks

Rodp

I occasionally run a tool called RouterStats Lite, which logs the line stats as reported by the router admin pages rather than running speed tests (actual transfer speed can be throttled upstream according to demand from other users on the system). It's the line speed which matters when it comes to complaints about the connection, not your share of the overall data capacity.

There are two drawbacks with RouterStats Lite: while running, it's permanently logged in at the router as Admin (so locking out further Admin access); to run it I need to leave a PC running, so it only gets fired up when/after I'm having line problems and I don't catch the start of a problem (or sometimes even the problem at all). Thus it would be quite nice to have something similar to run on (eg) a HDR-FOX.

RouterStats Lite is quite complicated in as much as it has to know how to initiate an admin login to a wide variety of routers, and extract the line stats from the appropriate web UI page. It might not be quite so complicated to build a custom script around wget for a specific router.

From 36Mb/s copper to 74Mb/s fibre
70-80 Mbps is about the absolute max. you are going to get out of the HDR anyway, as it's got a weak CPU and a 100 Mbps network adapter.
I thought you might be wanting to test some FTTP thing with higher speeds, hence the question.

70-80 Mbps is about the absolute max. you are going to get out of the HDR anyway, as it's got a weak CPU and a 100 Mbps network adapter.
I thought you might be wanting to test some FTTP thing with higher speeds, hence the question.
It is FTTP but I chose to go with the lower speed package. I will try the old laptop ubuntu route but that too is limited to 100Mbps network card - but I'm more interested in checking upload speed to be onest as it was that which was fluctuating.

80/20 (presumably, and you were presumably on 40/10 before?) with varying upload speed sounds like FTTC to me.

80/20 (presumably, and you were presumably on 40/10 before?) with varying upload speed sounds like FTTC to me.
it's a fibre cable to the premises, new little square box into the house, small white fibre cable going into the box - openreach came and installed. I can only hope I'll get 80/20 but erratic upload speed needs to be measured over a little while to see what it is really. Time will tell :)

Back