Runaway Recording

EEPhil

Number 28
I'm new to the joys of the Aura.
I've never experienced runaway recordings with my previous Humaxes, but I'm aware of the fun users of the HD/HDR-Fox-T2 have.
Last night I had a series linked recording set for The Mentalist on Quest Red at 8pm. This morning I found the Aura still recording. Turns out that one long recording from Quest Red was in progress. I couldn't stop it with the stop button. There was no evidence of the timer in the schedule and the red button delete option was missing from the recordings list. I tried the "restart apps" option which certainly turned off the LED recording indicator, for a few seconds, but doesn't appear to have stopped the recording. Only a reboot cleared the problem So, a couple of questions:
  1. Anyone else had a similar experience, and a better way of regaining control?
  2. I'm assuming that no-one knows the cause of these events and how to prevent them (based on the FOX experience). Or do they?

The Mentalist on Mondays is no longer on series record for me (HDR Fox T2)

Had an Aura for almost 3 years now and have over that time experienced three or four instances of runaway recordings.
Last one I recall would have been about a year ago.
Only way to stop them was to remove the power cable.
No idea what causes it.
Just one of the many little gifts the Aura will provide you with.

The Mentalist on Mondays is no longer on series record for me (HDR Fox T2)
My failing memory, possibly. Now that you mention it, I think I had to set new timer(s) yesterday when I noticed it missing. Can't remember now whether it was series link or two timers. Either way, one long recording and not two. (I've noticed it's possible for the Aura to record parts of the same programme twice if you manually overlap the timers - so two recordings might have been possible).

Only way to stop them was to remove the power cable.
Sometimes you can get access to the power symbol on the menu (Press F, I think), there is a reboot option which sometimes works. Although I've also had different problems where the Freeview App stops working and removing the power is the only option.

Anyone else had a similar experience, and a better way of regaining control?
I don't recollect any runaway recordings with my Aura although I did experience a few with the HDR-FOX T2.
I'm assuming that no-one knows the cause of these events and how to prevent them (based on the FOX experience). Or do they?
Now is the time for them to speak up if they do.

I had the runaway recording too, around Christmas - on ITV 3 - and I was tinkering around in the settings menus at the time, so that might be to blame.

I've also had the opposite... dodgy/no recordings. That happened yesterday, when TalkingPicturesTV 'Mrs Pym of Scotland Yard' somehow missed the first 33 minutes!
Earlier in the day also on TPTV, 'Together' (1980's soap opera) refused to record - yet there were two instances of the 'X camera' in the list. Neither of them played at all. There was no tinkering around in the menus at the time, and Engineering on Freeview's website seemed to show no maintenance for my transmitter at all.

The Multiplex for TPTV, according to the Aura, is 96% strength, and 100% quality (both unwavering).

I had another oddity yesterday, the machine kept wanting to be in 'red standby', rather than 'deep no-led standby'. The EPG populated, then suddenly emptied itself.
I eventually did a few things:
  1. deleted old Series Record timers;
  2. switched off and cleared caches of some apps (camera, microphone)
  3. deactivated Google Music, and G Movies, and 'Freeview Recommended' apps.
Today it seems quite stable, and remains in 'deep no-led standby'.

I've had duplicate recordings where I used the app and it hadn't shown that the recording was set (it was), so I set it, and the Aura/app let me.
I also have the occasional duplicate but with the ability to record 4 channels simultaneously I don't consider it a significant problem and I would certainly prefer to have a duplicate rather than no recording at all.

Sure, but doesn't it seem odd that something as basic as that isn't checked for?
It's possible that the app has received the EPG data but not the recording schedule and a check hasn't been included in the app to trap this. So, you set a recording and the app wrongly allows it. It then gets passed to the Aura which either also fails to check it or allows it because the times are not identical. (Pure guess work, I mean why would the times be different?). It's certainly possible to set (using the Aura not the app) two overlapping timers on the same channel and get both recordings in full. For me, that is a useful feature and not a bug.

Back