Running High Def .ts files on a pc

jsrobo

Just got HD on freeview in our area (Belmont). Have read all the messages regards running the HD .ts files on a pc but nothing works. A standard (ie none HD) .ts file runs fine. Have tried VLC, Cyberlinks Power DvD 10 & Win Media player. Have also tried a number of file converters nothing doing. Anybody any ideas???

HiDef files are encrypted and as such, have to be decrypted before they will play on anything other than the machine they were recorded on. Once decrypted I have found Splash Player plays them very well. However, even when decrypted I couldn't get VLC nor WMP to play 'satisfactorily'.

Do a search on these forums for Customised Firmware, it's the way to go...;)

Provided the HD file has been properly decrypted, VLC should play it. However, I have encountered problems with the audio streams using VLC. I entirely agree with Wallace - the best player to use with Humax ts files is Splash Player. The 'lite' version is free but if you regularly view media files on your PC consider spending £12 on the Pro version - currently the best media player available IMO.

I did some tests on media players with Humax ts files recently, as reported in this thread (post 12).

Oh, and Wallace is 100% right about the customised firmware, too...

Blimey, put the flag up! Right twice in one day. Must tell the other half. Mind you, she wouldn't believe me.

:):):)

Once you've taken the plunge and installed the custom firmware ('CF') it's completely transparent. The CF includes a web interface and a utility called auto-unprotect.

Auto-unprotect runs in the background on the Humax, resetting the various flags that normally prevent the Humax from exporting HD files. You access the web interface from your PC's browser by pointing it at the Humax's IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.nnn) - it looks like an ordinary web page. One option lets you see the files saved on your Humax:

webif.jpg
Click the OPT+ button and select the Download option. Then it's just like any other web download. Speed depends on how your Humax and PC are networked - wired networking on both ends helps a lot - about 10 minutes for a 1-hour HD file on my 100Mb wired connection. That's around 4GB.

The only other point to mention is that you need to turn Content Share on in the Humax's menu. You don't need ftp or any complicated gymnastics to clear flags and you don't need to copy the file to a USB drive in order to decrypt it.

If you don't want to network, the basic principle is to copy the file you want to an external USB drive, then physically take the drive to the PC to play the file. But you run into all sorts of problems with HD files and limited compatibility of filing systems on the Humax and the PC. The problems can all be overcome, but believe me, the CF route is much more elegant.

the best player to use with Humax ts files is Splash Player. The 'lite' version is free but if you regularly view media files on your PC consider spending £12 on the Pro version - currently the best media player available IMO.
Yep, Never looked back since Fenlander told me about this. And compared to the VLC people, user-friendly. Splash doesn't yet support subtitles from the .ts file, but they said they wanted to, so I have sent them 2xSD nd 2xHD samples from the HDR, and I expect that in due course subtitle support will arrive.:)

Have just ordered

1 "Edimax EW-7711USN WLAN nLite High Gain USB Adapter"
Electronics; £13.87 from Amazon. Will try to proceed when received, thanx for all the help so far....

Just for the record the "Edimax EW-7711USN WLAN nLite High Gain USB Adapter" from Amazon worked perfectly. Have now progressed to the exellent customised web interface, easy to install and use, those responsible are to be commended.
Has anybody managed to wake the Hummy up from there computer. I should explain, unless the hummy is ON! you cannot access the web interface by typing its IP address. My set up is done wirelessly (obviously via the Edimax aerial), does anybody know if a network cable connection makes any difference in being able to access the web interface, by turning the hummy on???

The Hummy does not have a WOL (Wake On LAN) facility. AFAIK, the only way to 'wake' it is to either set a WAKE timer or a Timer recording.

You can set a Wake timer in a couple of ways now. Via the Hummy main menu, or via the Remote Schedule facility. However, this is currently in beta and is due to be release shortly I believe.

The Hummy already has a Wake timer set for 04:30 BST every morning to wake and check for firmware updates.

oes anybody know if a network cable connection makes any difference in being able to access the web interface, by turning the hummy on???

The only difference between wired and wireless is that when wired the web interface is accessible when the box wakes up in order to make a recording. In that case, the wireless is not enabled. There is an experimental package to fix this however which will be finalised in the next few days in conjunction with the remote scheduling solution.

The Hummy does not have a WOL (Wake On LAN) facility. AFAIK, the only way to 'wake' it is to either set a WAKE timer or a Timer recording.

You can set a Wake timer in a couple of ways now. Via the Hummy main menu, or via the Remote Schedule facility. However, this is currently in beta and is due to be release shortly I believe.

The Hummy already has a Wake timer set for 04:30 BST every morning to wake and check for firmware updates.

Thanx for that Wallace.....

The only difference between wired and wireless is that when wired the web interface is accessible when the box wakes up in order to make a recording. In that case, the wireless is not enabled. There is an experimental package to fix this however which will be finalised in the next few days in conjunction with the remote scheduling solution.
Hi af123,
You are doing excellent work thanx from us all.
Do you mean that when connected by a network cable between hummy and home hub. the web interface would work when the hummy is doing a scheduled recording? Does the computer have to be connected by network cable or can it be used wirelessly?

Do you mean that when connected by a network cable between hummy and home hub. the web interface would work when the hummy is doing a scheduled recording?

Yes. Neilleeds and I are working on a solution to enable the same thing for wireless too.

Does the computer have to be connected by network cable or can it be used wirelessly?

Wirelessly is fine for the computer on which the web browser is running.

Back