Safe to auto-decrypt and auto-shrink My Video?

I've just started using the custom firmware. Very easy to set up, and I expect it to be very useful once I have things installed and set the way that suits me.

I am just trying the auto-decrypt and auto-shrink functions. About how long do these take on each file (say, about 3 Gb in size)? And how does one tell whether a file has been decrypted and/or shrunk?

Auto shrink takes a few minutes auto decrypt can take half an hour, to check the status of the files examine the icons displayed next to each file in the Web-If Browser. There is a 'shrink' symbol and 'DEC' symbol etc. NOTE the browser screens won't auto-update so if a file's status changes you will need to refresh
DEC-shrink.jpg

Thanks. I can now see a DEC symbol for a couple of files. What confused me is that they weren't the first two files in the alphabetical (or date) order. Also, none of my files (all SD) show an ENC flag . And I guess nothing has been shrunk yet because it is too busy decrypting; at any rate there is no shrink symbol visible.

The auto-decrypt and auto-shrink functions can be somewhat random within the selected folders. The ENC symbol is only ever displayed against High-Definition files when they are 'locked' against decryption, the ENC flag is removed from High Definition files by the Auto-Unprotect package, see flow chart HERE. The shrink symbol does sometime take a while to turn up after shrink is completed and the page will always need refreshing as detailed in #22

Now if only turning those settings on and off didn't need a full page reload, hint hint ;)
You're right, it's just lazy programming (and this was one of the first things I wrote, before I learned javascript!). It's fixed in my development copy and will be in the next update.

Likewise for the Browse page when you delete something. It could just work like the Packages page and disable the item.

A similar thing applies to the EPG page. If you want to step forward 3 days for example, you have to wait for the whole thing to load 4 times, which takes about a minute all up and it is not interruptible. Can this be improved?

Is it safe to put the Humax into standby if auto-decrypt is going on, or is this likely to confuse decryption of the current file?

I ask because currently the web interface isn't working, and the reason seems to be that the Internet Settings show "network disconnected". So I was thinking of turning the machine off and on again to see if that cleared the problem.

My network uses Powerline, but the powerline connection to the Humax was working previously, and it seems most likely (I could give you the reasons) that the issue is with the Humax, not the powerline adapter.

If the decryption (or other processing) gets interrupted, the process aborts and starts again (or should do anyway).

My HomePlugs went faulty recently, not the Humax.

Likewise for the Browse page when you delete something. It could just work like the Packages page and disable the item.
It already does, unless I'm misremembering...

A similar thing applies to the EPG page. If you want to step forward 3 days for example, you have to wait for the whole thing to load 4 times, which takes about a minute all up and it is not interruptible. Can this be improved?
You can click on the calendar icon and pick a day to jump directly to it. The Humax has a lot of work to do pulling information from the EPG database. It could be sped up by doing what the Humax does and only showing five channels at a time but I don't think that is as useful.

On the subject of Shrink and Decrypt can somebody clarify their relationship.
Does shrink work on both encrypted and decrypted files.
If so, does it matter which operation is performed first, shrink or decrypt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, shrink works fine on both encrypted and decrypted files.

No, the order doesn't specifically matter but if a directory is flagged for both operations then decrypt will happen first.

This is because shrink will stop the file from being properly served via DLNA (which is required for decryption) until the DLNA database index is updated - most likely following the next reboot.

I seem to be having a problem with auto-shrink.

If I transfer a decrypted/shrunk file to the PC (webif download) it plays fine on the PC (via splash lite) but if I then transfer it to a memory stick (USB) and try to view it on my Sony TV (2 years old) the file just hangs.

This does not happen with non-shrunk files.

In both cases I have to rename the ".ts" file to ".mts", but it works.

If I use FreeAVIConverter to remix the ts file to an mp4 (same quality) the shrunk file will then work fine.

It would appear that shrink is doing something to the ts container that Sony do not like. Repackaging to mp4 seems to sort it.

Any ideas?

Obviously, I will stop using shrink ufn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back