SAMBA and Humax FVP5000

satbunny

I want to connect to my Humax as a samba server I don't particularly want to access any recordings I just want to make use of it as a samba server for my music collection.
My Kodi installation on my Xbox One cannot browse it and won't connect using samba nor will my Mac. I can ping it fine from everywhere.
Any ideas which version of sambar this box runs and if there's anything peculiar about the way one connect to it?

I can connect to it fine using FTP but I thought the samba server should work.

Since my music player doesn't use FTP for streaming music it's currently of no use to me.

Last edited:
Thanks. I did search for Samba and Mac, honest!
Have you managed to work out what SAMBA version it is running; pretty sure it won't be SMB1. Also have you tried downloading anything from the FVP-5000T? I am interested to know if the SD recordings are encrypted.

I suspect it is Samba 1. It's very slow for upload since you have to turn off the password in the Humax, which turns off the ftp access password as well.
So you connect as GUEST. FTP is not given r/w access but Samba is. So it's slow to upload but streams absolutely fine. Kodi can't browse it, and Kodi doesn't support Samba 1. Mind you, that's no proof that it's Samba 1, it maybe a poor Samba 2/3 implementation.

I did look at the SD recordings but they seem to be encrypted.

I believe I may be able to stream to VLC and save the stream, I will try that in the next few days.

Back