Samba not working

Simon Wait

Hi I've been away for a while and on my return have been treated with a warning suggesting that my hard drive might be about to fail. OK 1st things 1st I thought I woukd get all the recordings off to my win7 machine. I was running the custom firmware and had auto decrypt on so should all be fine. I went to find the humax with my other network shares but couldn't find it. I tried \\humax\media and \\192.75.78.20\media (my box's ip) but no joy. I then thought I would upgrade to the 2.20 firmware and the custom on top but that didn't help so I've now downgraded to the last official room with no success. I thought I would check using other windows machines and even ran a services checker on my Android phone which found ftpservices and smb services for other devices on the network but absolutely nothing for the humax. I'm not sure what to try now. Oh on this latest official room I also try setting to factory defaults and network (lan) is dhcp. Still no luck

If you have downgraded to the last Humax official firmware 1.02.32? you will not have access to any custom features.

Samba is not standard, you have to be running custom firmware, and have the samba package installed.

Ok so Ive now installed 1.03.06 and then HDR_Fox_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.20. Ive then installed webif and samba. The humax now shows up in my networked devices in Win7 but then if I select it the Windows reports that it cannot access \\HUMAX. Again I tried appending media and using the IP address.

You will need content share turned on on the Humax, and all content will need decrypting.

That seems to be the case. Content share on and stuff decrypted but still not showing the goods

I can confirm that on my LAN the T2 shows up as the Samba server \\192.168.0.50 with the media in \\192.168.0.50\Media\My Video.

I seem to have edited my smb.conf file though.

I have never really understood linux so I dont think I have ever editted my smb.conf file?

At some time I must have put my workgroup name in, but the T2 still doesn't appear in Network except as a media server. File Explorer does recognize its NetBIOS name though, if I type it in directly as \\T2.

Does the T2 request a username and password when you try to access it?

Also, being as you are using W7, have you disabled your Homegroup? I don't use Homegroups on W8. I do have network discovery enabled though and also file and printer sharing, but the T2 and also one of my two fileservers don't appear automatically in my network neighbourhood. But then, since Windows NT years ago I have never experienced NetBIOS behaving as it should.

If I want files from the T2, I use FTP, anyway, via Filezilla. That always connects.

I haven't had to do anything like that as far as I can recall, my Humii show up in Explorer under "Network" (Win7) - even HDR4! (HDR3 uses NFS)

Ive managed to get everything off I need with FTP so I think Im going to wipe everything including the recordings and start from scratch. Thanks all

Back