Samba

Buzby

I have a Iomega NAS that does not support DLNA - however it does (apparently) support Samba - is there any way I can get my Hummy to access the files on the NAS (photos mainly, but there are also some videos on there) and show them on the TV ?

The short answer is no. The Humax user interface is set up for the "discovery" capabilities in the DLNA specification, so you don't have to do any setting up yourself and there are no settings screens that would allow you to do it. Does the Iomega also have a USB slave port, or is it just the Ethernet and maybe a USB master port (for attaching an extension drive)? If it can attach to your PC by USB, you may be able to plug it into the Humax' USB and access the contents that way.

If you use AF123's modifications, you would (I think) be able to set up a network share via Telnet, but I don't think that would help you get the images onto the screen unless you use it to copy them to the Humax internal drive (or a USB drive).

If you use AF123's modifications, you would (I think) be able to set up a network share via Telnet, but I don't think that would help you get the images onto the screen unless you use it to copy them to the Humax internal drive (or a USB drive).

With the modified firmware, yes you can mount a samba file server from the Humax and then treat the files on there just as if they were on the internal or a USB attached disk. It has to be set up on the command line at the moment but there are plans to add it to the web interface when time permits.

The long answer is Yes:) - If you are willing to install the af123's firmware modification, telnet on and install cifs, which allows you to access samba shares. To the humax they appear as mounted drives (just as if you'd plugged in a usb drive). Once set up it works extremely well - a lot better for playing videos than DLNA (faster, seeking works, it remembers where you got to). I've not tried it with photos, but see no reason why it wouldn't work the same as if the photos were on a usb drive. Quite happy to give more detailed steps if you need them... I've written a little script to poll for a a networked drive (so it can be detected if not plugged in at bootup without haviong to telnet in). Hopefully we can soon set it up as a package that can be configured via the web interface to make things simpler.

Steve

Since the box is only about 3 weeks old I don't really feel like messing about with firmware mods quite yet. I presume it invalidates the warranty if you do so? However it is worth knowing that these options exist. Cheers all.

No, it won't invalidate your warranty because it is all reversible. They are not so much mods as a means to add new services. Delete them, and they're gone.

Sorry about my small element of misinformation.

... I've written a little script to poll for a a networked drive (so it can be detected if not plugged in at bootup without haviong to telnet in)....

Steve

Steve,

Something simple that you can share with us. I have a S98 start-up script which mounts a network drive but would be interested in having that poll for the network drive and then mount it. Do you use cron to do the job?

Trevor

Its a bit work in progress, but here is what I have - Fairly new to shell scripts so there are probably better ways of doing stuff, but it seems to work :)

I have a data file called /mod/smbmount looking like
Code:
MacMini://10.0.1.2/TV Shows:user=steve,password=xxxx

where you fill in your particular requirements ([mountpoint]:[smbpath]:[options])

My startup script (/mod/etc/init.d/S02CifsMount) looks like

Code:
#!/bin/sh

smbmount=$(cat /mod/smbmount) #get mount details ([mountpoint]:[smbshare location]:[options])
mountpoint=${smbmount%%:*}
share=${smbmount#$mountpoint:}
sharepath=${share%%:*}
options=${share##*:}

case "$1" in
start)
  /mod/sbin/mountnetwork "$mountpoint" "$sharepath" "$options" &
  ;;
stop)
  umount "/media/$mountpoint"
  rmdir "/media/$mountpoint"
  killall mountnetwork
  ;;
*)
  exit 1
  ;;
esac

exit 0

sbin/mountnetwork looks like

Code:
# arg 1 is mount point, arg2 share path, arg 3 options (eg user, pword)

mkdir -p "/media/$1"
  while [ "$(ls "/media/$1")" == "" ]; do
  mount -t cifs "$2" "/media/$1" -o $3
  sleep 10
done

[Edit was broken but now fixed :)]

I presume it invalidates the warranty if you do so?

I haven't actually read the warranty, but I would imagine that installing unofficial firmware may take you outside the terms of the warranty and you'd have trouble getting help from Humax if the custom firmware made the box unusable for some reason.

However, it is easy enough to revert to the official firmware should you have a problem*, or need to have a hardware fault fixed under warranty.

* As long as you haven't done anything like hack the HDR firmware to run on the HD (Yes Drutt, you ;))

However, it is easy enough to revert to the official firmware should you have a problem, or need to have a hardware fault fixed under warranty.
This is what I meant. As long as no seals are broken and it's in a state indistinguishable from "normal service", who's to tell?

Its a bit work in progress, but here is what I have - Fairly new to shell scripts so there are probably better ways of doing stuff, but it seems to work :)

Steve,

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try later. Neat idea to look for the mounted directory and keep trying the mount. I think I might put a bigger sleep timer in there, or maybe increase it during the loop to slow it down to looking every five minutes after an hour, say.

PS My shell script days were years ago, so I'm pretty rusty atm.

Steve,

I'd like to have a go at setting this up, but have one question. What file extensions do I need to give to the 3 files?

Thanks

I'd like to have a go at setting this up, but have one question. What file extensions do I need to give to the 3 files?
They don't have any file extensions but after creating the files make sure they are executable using the following:

Code:
chmod a+x /mod/sbin/mountnetwork /mod/etc/init.d/S02CifsMount
This is not necessary for /mod/smbmount.

Also you should add '#!/bin/sh' on its own line at the beginning of /mod/sbin/mountnetwork

Thanks xyz321.

Do you know where the error log is? I've set up the above, rebooted and it's not mounted the drive.

Hmmm, found the error message but running via terminal it's "/mod/etc/init.d/S02CifsMount: line 3: syntax error: "(" unexpected" but can't see a problem with it's as per above and format of /mod/smbmount is as per above too. Any ideas?

I gave this little script a go and i've given them the right permissions but as far as i can tell, nothing seems to happen when i run the script?
no errors and no folder is created under media?
Any ideas please?

You may be able to get it gioing by adding a space between ')' and '#' on line 3. However, I think these scripts could do with a few tweaks. It would be nice if they could handle a file format similar to /etc/fstab (i.e. more than one mount and any filesystem type - not just cifs).

I may look into it later...

Back