SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I've been having a play with the 16GB version of one of THESE (click - they go up to 256GB), bought off eBay for £15:

1522881616987.png

Total length is 78mm.

What it does is provide a WiFi access point to which you can connect from an iOS or Android app and access files in the storage, which can also be accessed as a USB stick, for reading or writing. A PC can also access the file system via a web interface. The stick contains a rechargeable battery which charges from the USB port when plugged in, so it can still operate as a wireless file store (for a while) even when unplugged.

The app control panel (not the settings accessible via web browser) also allows for the stick to connect to an existing WiFi network, but interestingly the AP (WiFi Access Point) remains active. Officially, only the iOS and Android apps work when connecting through a WiFi network (not via the AP), not the web interface, but actually it does work simply by using <IP Address>/myconnect instead of www.sandisk.com/myconnect.

What I have not managed to do so far is get it to work as a NAS. I cannot fathom why SanDisk has crippled this with special access mechanisms when they could simply have provided NAS functionality - there are plenty of iOS and Android apps able to access NAS units without any fuss. There is a blog on the web that claims to have made it work, but I have been unable to replicate that.

The default AP is unprotected. The control panel allows you to change the SSID and set a password for it, but as soon as I did that I could no longer connect through the WiFi network - <IP Address>/myconnect wanted login credentials and I had no idea what they should be. I tried a few things, and fished around for clues, and put in a support request. The SanDisk guy was quite helpful, despite this being unsupported, and suggested a few things - the least obvious of which was user "Owner" with password as per the one I set for the AP. In fact, it turned out to be user "owner" and password as suggested.

So now I can use the web interface to copy files onto the stick from my PC, and then they are available for sharing via the WiFi network, WiFi access point, or as if a normal USB flash drive.

What's the point? The point is that I can now have the stick permanently plugged into my car audio system, and manage the files that are on it (and therefore available to play while I am out) from inside the house, without having to remember to shuttle a UPD between the two.

There remains a problem: when the ignition is off, the car audio shuts down and at some point the wireless stick will run out of charge. I might try supplying it with power directly, with only the data lines connecting through to the car audio.

Last edited:
Hmm. The stick appears to use WebDAV protocol rather than SMB or NFS - this may be why I have not achieved NAS functionality. Any tips, anyone?

A bit of googling suggested the Files app in iOS could access WebDAV shares, so I tried it and the SanDisk showed up immediately. Cool. I may have more success on the PC if I switch back to Windows Explorer (I have an Explorer replacement running). What I am trying to find is a way to drag and drop MP3-converted files straight from my Humii to the stick (while it's in the car, obviously).

Update: If nothing else, at least the web page file management provides drag-and-drop functionality (from PC), so I can access the Humax as a NAS and select, then drag to the SanDisk Connect's web file management to do the transfer (which I suspect moves the data from the Humax to the PC and then from the PC to the stick). And yes, I have now confirmed that to the car audio, the stick looks just like any other USB drive, and files play.

The stick is in the car (admittedly fully charged before I put it there), turned on, and I have just uploaded several hours' worth of catch-up listening.

Last edited:
One cited use-case for this device is to load movies and then the kids can watch them from their tablets on a journey. I don't know what's wrong with kids today - if my sister or I had done that when we were children, we would have been sick!

A bit of googling suggested the Files app in iOS could access WebDAV shares, so I tried it and the SanDisk showed up immediately. Cool. I may have more success on the PC if I switch back to Windows Explorer (I have an Explorer replacement running).
I get the same problem in Explorer as I do in DOpus - try to map a drive letter to the network share (as per the blog referenced in post 1) and it has a go but then crashes. It could be that the credentials are upsetting it - the blog appears not to have secured the AP with a key. To try mine without a key I will have to return to factory defaults - but I wouldn't want to leave it open anyway.

Do you think I should leave the back door open for any passing chancer to come in and have a look around then?

I definitely need to sort out independent power - when the USB power is removed, the stick shuts down regardless of whether it was turned on before it got plugged in. Not much cop if I have to go out to the car and turn it on before I can access it.

What current does it take? Could you not leave it connected to a permanent live on the car (via a 5V buck converter of course)?

That's the idea, but it still needs to be plugged into the audio system's USB port! Therefore I need some kind of adapter cable with the power split off, or a powered USB hub. (Yes, OK, I could just keep moving it from the audio system to a USB power port...)

I definitely need to sort out independent power - when the USB power is removed, the stick shuts down regardless of whether it was turned on before it got plugged in. Not much cop if I have to go out to the car and turn it on before I can access it.
I have discovered the stick does not turn itself off when the USB is lost after all - it was a power saving timer kicking in, which can be disabled. Still need aux power though - the battery only lasts a few hours (no, I am not worried about drain on the car battery - my car never sits around too long, and if the battery fails because of that little load over that short a time it is indicative of a problem with either the battery or the alternator).

Being quite big, when fitted to the audio system's front panel USB port (there is no other), it is very prone to accidental knocks (even a "normal" size UPD seems vulnerable), so this seems like a good stimulus for routing a better-placed powered hub via a right-angled USB lead. I need to find out how the audio system reacts to multiple devices connected at once, or whether a switch rather than a hub is required.

Being quite big, when fitted to the audio system's front panel USB port (there is no other), it is very prone to accidental knocks (even a "normal" size UPD seems vulnerable)
For this sort of problem I have a selection of extension USB leads - some with micro-USB connectors for appropriate ports

Back