Save Tuning information

Basjoe

Can I use one of the custom firmware utilities to save my current tuning setup, so that I can experiment with manually tuning to different transmitter(s), and afterwards return to my current setup if necessary ?

If so, how ?

What's in my mind here, is that my local transmitter (Chesterfield) does not have COM7 so no BBC4HD (or 4+1HD, or 4seven HD) . I'd like to see if I can get any of these elsewhere, for example Emley Moor.

Best Regards
Basjoe

Can I use one of the custom firmware utilities to save my current tuning setup, so that I can experiment with manually tuning to different transmitter(s), and afterwards return to my current setup if necessary ?

This can be done without CF: on the hidden service menu - see Things Every... (click) section 9 - you will find a "Copy DB to USB" option which exports the various database files (including channel.db) to a connected USB drive. This is a means of backing up the state of the HD/HDR-FOX.

The opposite operation is "Copy DB to Flash". This updates the databases from the files on the USB drive, and if (for example) there is only the channel.db file present it will happily just read that (not updating the other databases). For info: the other databases are rsv.db and setup.db - I presume rsv.db is the reservations (ie the recording schedule and such like) and setup.db is the general user settings.

Once copied back, a reboot should bring the updated database into effect - but I have found this not 100% reliable and I don't know why. When it doesn't work the tuning remains unaltered, from which I deduce the internal channel.db file was not re-written. It helps if the USB drive used has an access LED on it so you can see that it is being read (and written) during the hidden service operations, because there is no on-screen feedback to let you know your button press was acted on.

The channel.db file contains several data tables relevant to the tuning, not just the LCN allocation. For more info see:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/copying-tuning-from-one-hd-hdr-fox-to-another.5975/

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/dissection-and-manipulation-of-the-database-files.6090/

Last edited:
Have a read of THIS thread. I'm fairly certain that tunefix will do what you want.
I doubt that. tunefix patches up the existing tuning - it won't bin the existing setup and retune using manually entered channel numbers, as would be required to pick up an out-of-area transmitter.

Tunefix is a new package which is designed to fix up the channel list following a retune. It can:
automatically resolve duplicate regions/channels and select your preferred region for when the Humax software gets it wrong
That's the bit I was looking at, but wasn't certain how.

As far as I can see, tunefix can only work with the services that have been registered as the result of a tune operation. Some of us have played with trying to add entries to the existing database, but it doesn't work for reasons unknown.

What your quote is saying is that tunefix can sort out the services that get relegated to the 800's (etc) according to your preference.. but that's only the services which were relegated by the tuning process - duplicate services from the same TV region (and non-regional services) but a different transmitter get deleted, not relegated.

If the OP wants to play with receiving from an alternative transmitter (not an alternative region), he needs to back up the current tuning (to make restoration easier than re-doing the tuning), then clear the tuning (by aborting an auto-tune without saving), then manually tune the channel numbers for his desired transmitter.

Only after that can tunefix come into its own and reallocate LCNs etc according to user preference.

Back