Saving a Recording

quarkrad

I have saved recordings many times but something odd seems to be happening. I play/record an hours program (as normal) and then, on my PC, launch the web interface. When I click on the Save Last Streamed Content button it begins the saving but two things happen. In the button it reads, for me, Save last streamed content 323MB (growing @3.17mb/s). (In this case it has saved 323MB of the content - this number obviously grows as more a more is saved). It carries on saving until a message pops up saying the page is going to Refresh. I've tried a number of times but I can only save about 15mins of the program. My initial thought is something to do with the ethernet connection between my PC and the hummy box (is the connection too slow to save the recording?). Any advice appreciated.

You're not trying to save a recording that way, you are trying to save the last iPlayer or YouTube video you streamed with the TV Portal.

Assuming you want to do that, you must wait until the streamed programme has finished downloading (that's when the number stops growing), and make sure the next download doesn't start automatically (that will corrupt the buffer). Only then do you click "save last streamed", and it will be copied from the download buffer into the My Video folder (or whatever folder you have open in the WebIF).

If you are actually trying to copy an existing recording to your PC, you should be using the OPT+ menu button beside the recording listing itself.

You are correct - I am trying to record from an iplayer stream. Something odd is happening - I tried a different 1 hr program, waited until it had finished downloading and the save last steamed content button had the numbers 679mb in it. So - the buffer hasn't got all the program. Some hours later I tried another 42min program and waited about 1.5 hours for it finish downloading - when I went back to the tv iplayer has stopped the playback. This time my save last steamed content button had the numbers 499mb in it. If this was a pc I would check/replace my memory - not sure what to do now.

I'm not familiar with this package. Will it let me view iplayer (and then save the recording from the buffer?)

Martin - thank you. The SMART results come out ok but I will try this as well. We running this affect anything on the disc - e.g. scheduling or recordings?

Will it let me view iplayer (and then save the recording from the buffer?)
There is no buffer - it downloads directly into "My Video". Command line only at the moment I'm afraid, but yes you can use it with iPlayer.

I'm not familiar with this package. Will it let me view iplayer (and then save the recording from the buffer?)
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/yout...om-youtube-com-or-other-video-platforms.8462/

The problem with downloading using the TV Portal is that it needs a very reliable Internet connection. If anything causes the download to break, you have to start again (and not just accept the iPlayer resume option). youtube-dl pulls the video down in sections, and if you have to restart it it takes up again where it left off. You could also use get_iplayer on a PC.

That said, youtube-dl will deliver the best video quality available unless you tell it otherwise. Those HiDef iPlayer files can be very large! Use youtube -F <URL> to get the catalogue first, then youtube -f "<options>" <URL> to choose the one you want (where <URL> is the web address of the programme you want on iPlayer or many other video sites).

We running this affect anything on the disc - e.g. scheduling or recordings?
It won't affect the schedule but you need to do this at a time when there are no recordings due for several hours as the box must be booted into Maintenance mode and won't make recordings. How long a fix-disk run will take depends on too many factors to be able to estimate how long it will take.

I'm going to have a play with youtube-dl on my linux box - it looks quite interesting. What is the best quality setting to set for playback on the TV? (I'm assuming you can't have hd). Can I ftp the downloaded file to the hummy and play it on my tv?

See post 9. You need to choose an MP4 option, and not one that says "audio only" or "video only". The information linked from the youtube-dl thread is essential to understand how to specify the right file for download.

I've just added some user info in the youtube-dl topic.

Last edited:
I'm downloading via youtube-dl as I write but I've also ran fix-disk to make sure my hummy is OK. I ran just fix-disk (the basic command) and the log file appears OK. Should I run with an extra parameter for a more complete scan/check? Again, I do not want to damage anything on the disc in terms of recordings.

I've been on holiday so apologies for delay. I have tried a wireless connection between my router and hummy box and still cannot get a proper 'recording' (1 hour program comes up as 665mb). I have just run a long ethernet cable between router and hummy box (about 3m) and again, the 1 hour program is 665mb. In the Save Streamed Content window, under Metadata: the creation _time is 2018-02-28 23:38:15 which is odd to me as the iplayer program run was today (10 March) at about 13.00. I am wondering whether there is something wrong with my box.

I have just run a long ethernet cable between router and hummy box (about 3m) and again, the 1 hour program is 665mb. In the Save Streamed Content window, under Metadata: the creation _time is 2018-02-28 23:38:15 which is odd to me as the iplayer program run was today (10 March) at about 13.00. I am wondering whether there is something wrong with my box.
Have you actually tried playing the program?

Yes and no. I haven't actually viewed the recording because when I look at it in My/Video list it says it is something like 14 minutes or 15 minutes long. I have assumed the 14 minutes/665mb relates to only having recorded that amount of the program - I'm thinking it should be saying something like 60 minutes/4.2 GB or something in that order. In this last test I had the TV on and there seemed to be no buffering as such - my broadband speed was OK. The thing that is puzzling me is having recorded a 1 hour iplayer program why is it only saving something in the order of 655mb/15 minutes?

OK - I think you might be able to help me here as I have just ran another test. The iplayer program I recorded this morning (1 hour long) that came up as 655mb was an episode of Shetland. At 14.30 there was rugby on itv so I hit the pause key thinking the box would start to fill up its 'recording buffer' - at 15.00 I hit the pause button again and started to watch the rugby. At this point I went to my pc and logged in the hummy via the web interface and saved the last content - giving it the name rugby. In the My Video list on the web interface it was listed a rugby/655mb. I went to the tv and hit the Media button and there was an item listed as rugby.mp4 15.06 10/03. When I played the file it was the episode of Shetland I recorded this morning. Your comment about had I watched the program gave me a clue. Is it the case that nothing is wrong - the small file sizes are because they are recorded as mp4? A question (if I'm right) - why are the recordings now recorded as mp4?

Yes and no. I haven't actually viewed the recording because when I look at it in My/Video list it says it is something like 14 minutes or 15 minutes long. I have assumed the 14 minutes/665mb relates to only having recorded that amount of the program - I'm thinking it should be saying something like 60 minutes/4.2 GB or something in that order. In this last test I had the TV on and there seemed to be no buffering as such - my broadband speed was OK. The thing that is puzzling me is having recorded a 1 hour iplayer program why is it only saving something in the order of 655mb/15 minutes?
This is typical of iPlayer. I recommend youtube-dl, I don't bother messing about trying to get a complete download using the TV Portal any more.

why are the recording now recorded as mp4?
Recordings are .ts. iPlayer downloads are .mp4. youtube-dl downloads can be anything there is on that web site. The content of the streaming buffer is whatever you last accessed via the Portal on iPlayer or YouTube (or whatever), and whatever that was it got saved off as <whatever name you gave it>.mp4. I think you are confusing yourself.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/yout...other-video-platforms.8462/page-3#post-120326

The iplayer program I recorded this morning (1 hour long) that came up as 655mb was an episode of Shetland. At 14.30 there was rugby on itv so I hit the pause key thinking the box would start to fill up its 'recording buffer' - at 15.00 I hit the pause button again and started to watch the rugby. At this point I went to my pc and logged in the hummy via the web interface and saved the last content - giving it the name rugby.
The buffer used for time shifting and the buffer used for Iplayer recordings are completely separate so what you saw was completely normal.

Back