Saving recordings off TV

Sargan

My Fox T2 PVR works fine (uses custom f/w but is not relevant for this post)
On my new Samsung TV if I go to EPB it gives me option to view, schedule view or record any program.
Is it possible to record straight to the PVR ? i.e. its not an over the air broadcast but digital file.

On my new Samsung TV if I go to EPB it gives me option to view, schedule view or record any program.
ARe you certain that it can record "any program"? TVs that can record normally record just freeview and/or freesat channels.

Is it possible to record straight to the PVR ? i.e. its not an over the air broadcast but digital file.
No, for a few reasons. The TV is restricted in which methods it can output video. The freeview recorder is restricted on which methods it can input video. The HDR-FOX T2 is a recorder for recording channels from your aerial. It is not a general purpose recorder.

It seems to offer to record anything in EPG ...though not tried every option.

Pity it can't record a digital channel.
TV aldo offers to record to HD .... have to find out how.

It seems to offer to record anything in EPG ...though not tried every option.
But so can your HDR-FOX T2. Is there something the TV can record which the HDR-FOX T2 can't?
Or are you referring to channels numbered 260-299?

Pity it can't record a digital channel.
It can, but only to an attached USB memory.

TV aldo offers to record to HD .... have to find out how.
But so can your HDR-FOX T2. Is there something the TV can record which the HDR-FOX T2 can't?

I just referring to ease of use... if I'm looking in EPG and see something I would like to record it gives option to do so.
Otherwise, have to start PVR, go into that EPG find channel and then record.
Just extra steps and remote.
Plus TV is 4K, though not specifically checked if record option is on 4K services.

I just referring to ease of use... if I'm looking in EPG and see something I would like to record it gives option to do so.
Otherwise, have to start PVR, go into that EPG find channel and then record.
I solve that convenience by always using the HDR-FOX and only using the TV as a display.

if I'm looking in EPG and see something I would like to record it gives option to do so.
As the TV may only have one tuner you could be quite restricted in other options while it's recording, possibly not even being able to watch a live TV programme on a different mux.

I used to prior to buying 4k TV but now don't tend to fo that anymore.
What difference does "4K" make? There are no 4K broadcasts, so it makes no difference whether you get your TV from the TV or the 'FOX. Or are you streaming?

My TV (LG) only offers the option to an attached USB drive but if yours offers the option to record to a network drive then you could use SAMBA to allow recording onto the Humax drive but why bother?

A TV only has a single tuner so you can only record one programme at a time and cant watch another TV programme while recording.

I used to prior to buying 4k TV but now don't tend to fo that anymore.
As BH says, for broadcast TV it makes no difference. We have a 4k TV but use the boxes for all Freeview and freesat stuff, actual TV for Netflix, Prime, etc.

My TV (LG) only offers the option to an attached USB drive but if yours offers the option to record to a network drive then you could use SAMBA to allow recording onto the Humax drive but why bother?

A TV only has a single tuner so you can only record one programme at a time and cant watch another TV programme while recording.
yes but TV also has direct access to loads of Apps including 3 direct on TV remote. (Netflix, Amazon & Disney ) So you can record a channel and watch any of the apps

What difference does "4K" make? There are no 4K broadcasts, so it makes no difference whether you get your TV from the TV or the 'FOX. Or are you streaming?
I do use streamed services on TV, mainly Netflix, Prime & Apple. As well as any catch-up, and as per previous answer there are a great Samsung TV plus channels that are in EPG .. and not on PVR.
Some of these are in 4K

Last edited:
The Samsung TV includes a great number of Samsung TV plus channels and some of those are 4K

If you put your food in the oven, do you expect it to cook in the microwave?
Only if it's a microwave oven. I haven't quite got to the stage where I put my food in one oven and switch on the other one. (Thankfully, given the family history for dementia. And switching on empty microwave ovens is not recommended!)

He should have bought a Panasonic.

Back