Schedule an auto daily reboot?

Michael Slater

My T2 periodically hangs and it needs a power down to resolve which is difficult when I am not at home. I would like to schedule a daily reboot to hopefully stop the problem or auto clear it. I can do a manual one off reboot but not an auto daily one. Probably I have missed something so some direction would be great?

You can
  • Use Webif schedule to create a Manual reminder event and choose the frequency
  • Use remote and set interface to create event and change type to dailu
  • Install disable-ota package and choose option to schedule a daily reboot

There's nothing to be done about it. I have tried running 24/7, and I have tried nightly shutdowns, and the incidence of system freezes is about the same. If the system freezes, it won't then act on a scheduled shutdown to recover from the freeze.

At least one member of this forum uses an external timeswitch to provide a daily cold start - ensure there is a normally-off time in the night, then kill the power within that period. That should shock the 'FOX back into operation after a freeze.

There's nothing to be done about it. I have tried running 24/7, and I have tried nightly shutdowns, and the incidence of system freezes is about the same. If the system freezes, it won't then act on a scheduled shutdown to recover from the freeze.

At least one member of this forum uses an external timeswitch to provide a daily cold start - ensure there is a normally-off time in the night, then kill the power within that period. That should shock the 'FOX back into operation after a freeze.
A time switch, what a great way to solve it... are there any downsides?

Try to avoid killing the power when the 'FOX isn't properly asleep (it doesn't cause any real problems, and if it's crashed you have to, but you never know and it could corrupt the file system if you were unlucky - although probably not irrecoverably); and the inevitable ageing effect of temperature cycling the PSU.

Try to avoid killing the power when the 'FOX isn't properly asleep (it doesn't cause any real problems, and if it's crashed you have to, but you never know and it could corrupt the file system if you were unlucky - although probably not irrecoverably); and the inevitable ageing effect of temperature cycling the PSU.

If it is off for 10-20 minutes it shouldn't thermally cycle that much unless the house is an absolute fridge - in which case it won't get that hot either while powered on, or the house is a hothouse - in which case all the electronics will be cooking anyway and the fan will be on flat out all the time.

Thanks, I have now fitted the timer to power down for 30 minutes at 05:30. I am hoping this will solve it as I am away for fairly long periods and use the remote access, thanks for the advice all.
I have played with the Vbox but thats still alpha I think, and the Humax 4000 thing is a test!

I am the one who has advocated using a timer, although I haven't actually have it in operation. The only downside is that occasionally there is a program that wants to record across the power off time, such as Formula E, and possibly Formula 1, when the races are on the other side of the world and you are recording the live broadcast instead of the highlights. I have had the programmed power off from the settings menu truncate a Formula E recording, although I was expecting it to ignore it if it was actively recording.

Back