Schedule displaying differently

mike_m

Here's an interesting new feature that has only just cropped up. It's happening on both my HDRFox T2s:

When viewing the EPG, pressing the yellow button brings up a list of scheduled recordings. Usually, the programs for today are listed first, followed by future recordings in date order, followed by 'empty' recordings - where a series has finished but the Hummy doesn't know it.

What's now happening is that future recordings are being listed before today's recordings, if the day of the week is earlier than today. So, for instance, a recording scheduled for next Monday is now being listed before a recording scheduled for today (Tuesday).

Has anyone else come across this issue?

I see this, or something like it, occasionally - a few times a year I'd guess.

It's usually a series where (it looks to me) for some reason it hasn't 'ticked' the recording that recently happened, so thinks it's still pending. (When you look at the actual 'headline' date you'll probably see that's it's yesterday, not next week.)

It sorts itself out eventually. :dunno:

I see this, or something like it, occasionally - a few times a year I'd guess.

It's usually a series where (it looks to me) for some reason it hasn't 'ticked' the recording that recently happened, so thinks it's still pending. (When you look at the actual 'headline' date you'll probably see that's it's yesterday, not next week.)

It sorts itself out eventually. :dunno:
Yes, you're right - the scheduled recording is yesterday's, not next week's. Since it's happening on both Hummies, I wonder if it has something to do with broadcaster's schedules being juggled because of various Covid-related specials over the last few days. Perhaps this is affecting whether a recording gets 'ticked'.

If it was Still Open All Hours, I anticipate the recording "failed to track" - it was still in the EPG when Boris was on.

As MikeSh predicted, it sorted itself, at least for now - it's displaying as normal.
There was more than one programme showing up on each hummy - I think 'Staged' and 'Traces' were among them, but I can't swear to it now. I should have taken a screen shot!

Since it's happening on both Hummies, I wonder if it has something to do with broadcaster's schedules being juggled because of various Covid-related specials over the last few days.
Possibly. There have been all sorts of funnies with AR, series links and things. Between the various broadcasters doing odd things and the less than rock solid software in the boxes there are inevitably holes that get opened up.

I've had the same happen to me about 3 times. First I put it down to dodgy crid data in the series link.

But last night I recorded Traces, Staged, Inside the factory and the Chatworth thing on More4. I'm not using AR just manual padding (2 min before 5 min after).

All 4 recordings competed successfully but in Schedule the reservations appeared as though it was the last of the series, at the end of the schedule list. Looking at the EPG there's no series link icon on next week's episode. But on pressing record in the EPG to set another timer for next week, the Humax remembers there's already a series link present and complains about a recording conflict.

Rejecting the new recording, the EPG for next weeks showing now has the series link icon. And in schedule the recording is showing at the start of the list but for last night's episode.

Let's hope things settle down in a bit.

I don't suppose this could have anything to do with it being the New Year?
Somebody's coding the original software way back in... whenever... and sets an arbitrary value MAXYEARNUM ("Hey, nobody's going to still be using this software in 2020, right?").
OK, no, I didn't really think so. Just a stupid thought.

Just a stupid thought.
No. But it happens at other times of the year, so unlikely.

On that sort of subject there are the well known issues with scheduled recordings appearing to be an hour out during the 7 days before clock changes. We learn to live with these bugs because the FOXes are so much better than most of the other PVRs out there.

"Don't panic" :)

My box still isn't happy. After last Tuesday night's mess I ended up doing a re-tune on Thursday and recreated all the timers. That sorted everything out and everything was good again.

Until we got to Monday and 999 What's Your Emergency recorded ok, but the timer for the following Monday's episode didn't set - I just got an entry at the end of the timer list as though the series had finished.

Then on Tuesday I recorded the same set of programmes as last week (Traces, Staged, Inside the factory and the Chatsworth thing on More4) and all 4 did the same: no timer set for next week. (Fair enough, there's no inside the factory week, but the other 3 should have set).

And looking at my timers for Corrie and Emmerdale, the last episode they're going to record are tomorrow's (Friday's) and then they'll finish as no further episodes are listed. It's as though my box can't see further than the end of the week?

Everything's recording fine and seems to be running ok - just the series timers aren't setting themselves correctly. Yet it's worked flawlessly for the years I've had the box. Just wondering if anyone can suggest anything else that might be awry?

It's as though my box can't see further than the end of the week?
Did you check that the guide was fully populated through the 7 days? If the entries aren't in the guide the reservations won't display fully.

Some days it takes forever to get a full guide - A few weeks ago I had BBC2 for a several hour block in an evening a couple of days ahead that didn't fill for 15 minutes or more. It's very annoying.

just the series timers aren't setting themselves correctly. Yet it's worked flawlessly for the years I've had the box. Just wondering if anyone can suggest anything else that might be awry?
Yes: if the broadcasters don't set the CRIDs properly, the recorder can't identify whether a programme is in the same series.

Go into the hidden service menu* and set Display CRID = Enable. Then, if you bring up the information for any particular programme in the EPG, you will see codes for SERIES CRID and PROG CRID. A programme will only record as part of a series schedule if the S-CRID matches but the P-CRID does not match a programme recently recorded in that series.

I've had a lot of trouble with The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes on ITV4 because of this.

* See Things Every... (click) section 9:
If you want to diagnose why a series recording has behaved strangely, and predict/prevent mishaps, displaying CRIDs is essential.

Last edited:
If you want a solution (or at least a work-around): install Custom Firmware.

The rs package (in combination with the Remote Scheduling website) provides the facility to make a persistent search on the EPG for programmes matching text strings (and other criteria), and alert you and/or automatically schedule a recording. What you lose is having those recordings going into a series folder, and you might end up with duplicate recordings (but a duplicate is better than missing one).

The schdchk package monitors the recording schedule and tries to correct for various things which might cause a recording not to be made, such as a last-minute change of channel, although its original motivation was to correct for the HDR-FOX's incorrect implementation of the rules for split programmes.

sweeper is a Swiss Army knife for automatically applying rules to recordings, such as moving them into specific folders according to genre, or implementing dedup rules (a package replaced by sweeper, which eliminated duplicate recordings).

I've noticed that the schedule shows 'empty' slots for programmes later in the week, where it would normally show the next episode to be recorded - but it seems to get populated before the actual recording is due. It's as if it's only getting the information a couple of days before, instead of a week.

It's as if it's only getting the information a couple of days before, instead of a week.
I wish it was that predictable. It's often just a gap of a few hours here and there on a few channels - but of course when it includes the slot you need to set a reservation for ... :mad:

My EPG for BBC TWO HD was empty for tonight... even up to half an hour beforehand.
That often happens when things overrun, as they did this afternoon. Sometimes the first extension gets picked up but subsequent ones don't and then it all goes to pot, often for ages.

Did you check that the guide was fully populated through the 7 days? If the entries aren't in the guide the reservations won't display fully.

Go into the hidden service menu* and set Display CRID = Enable.

Thanks both for your replies and your pearls of wisdom.....

The guide was fully populated for a full week. And the CRIDs for Emmerdale were the same for Friday's episode (already scheduled to record) as for the following Monday's episode (not scheduled).

Going forward through the guide to next Monday's Emmerdale, no series link icon was present. But on clicking Record > record series, the Humax then must realise there's actually a recording already set, as I get the "conflict" message and it's asking me which of the Emmerdale's to keep: the existing one or the replacement.

That was the state of play last Thursday evening. But by Friday everything had sorted itself out.

My collection of "end of series" timers - basically all the weekly programmes I'd recorded last week but hadn't picked up the following week's episode - were all nicely set. And Emmerdale/Corrie had timers set for Friday 15 Jan right through to Fri 22 Jan.

It's never done anything like this before - the box has been rock-solid for years. So fingers crossed this was just a blip. 🤞

Back