Schedule restore -> duplicate entries

ejstubbs

Sorry if this is a known issue but I couldn't find any reference to it by searching.

I recently installed the custom firmware, mainly in order to be able to use the tool which disables automatic upgrades. Partly this was to avoid the risk of unwanted retunes, but also it was because we don't like the icons which pop up on the screen when you press a device select button on the remote (I wish there was a way of turning that off - CF feature request, perhaps?)

Last night I wanted to tune in 4seven, so I had a go at using the schedule backup/restore function. I backed up the schedule, then retuned just the mux that 4seven was on. When I restored the recording schedule, it didn't seem to delete the existing schedule entries - which I thought the web interface had said that it would do - so I ended up with duplicates of almost every schedule entry. Is this expected behaviour?

I didn't know how the box would handle all the duplicate entries so first of all I tried deleting all but one of each duplicated entry, via the web interface. This was made more difficult for the programmes which didn't have a timed entry (ie the box was waiting for the programme to appear in the EPG again) because the duplicates weren't all listed together. I don't know whether I got confused, or what happened, but after several restarts of the box I still had a messed up schedule. So I adopted plan B, and deleted every schedule entry via the web interface, one by one, restarted the box, confirmed that the schedule was indeed completely empty, and then did another schedule restore. That seemed to work.

If the duplicate schedule entries problem is expected behaviour, is there a quicker/easier way to wipe the whole schedule before restoring it?

A quick way to delete the schedule is to perform an auto-scan.

To delete the pop-ups, simply find the graphics and delete them (not tested, just in theory it should work).

A quick way to delete the schedule is to perform an auto-scan.
Yikes, not here thank you very much! I've got line-of-sight to two different main transmitters and I have to scan manually to get the right muxes tuned in.

To delete the pop-ups, simply find the graphics and delete them (not tested, just in theory it should work).
Interesting idea. Any idea where they might reside?

Another way to do it would be to buy one of the remotes which doesn't trigger the icon display. Might not be a bad idea, given the SWMBO's ham-fisted use of the remote* seems to be making some of the buttons increasingly unreliable. Question is, though, how to make sure that I get the right version of the remote?

* eg she can't seem to get her head around the skip buttons, so when an ad break starts I have to wrestle the remote off her if I don't want to sit there for five minutes** while she shunts back and forth using FFWD and RWD - at top speed all the time, of course - until she locates the approximate end of the commercials...which is usually just far enough in to the next segment of the programme itself to have missed a crucial line of dialogue :mad:

** Seriously. This process often takes longer than just muting the TV and waiting for the ads to finish....

This is an interesting post, af123 might have more to say about restoring the schedule - I think it is presumed that the schedule it empty, and if there is a possibility that it isn't perhaps the restore should start by wiping it just in case.

I didn't know that scanning only one mux does not wipe the schedule. Possibly it only wipes the schedule items related to that mux. We usually advise starting and aborting an auto-scan so that the whole tuning database gets cleared.

This is an interesting post, af123 might have more to say about restoring the schedule - I think it is presumed that the schedule it empty, and if there is a possibility that it isn't perhaps the restore should startby wiping it just in case.
I've just checked and the confirmation dialogue box that pops up when you click on the restore option does indeed say that the existing schedule will be deleted:

Restore.jpg

I didn't know that scanning only one mux does not wipe the schedule. Possibly it only wipes the schedule items related to that mux.
I believe that is correct. That's probably why a few of the schedule entries weren't duplicated, but I didn't check thoroughly to make sure.

Back