Scheduled recordings failed

trog

A series record for a channel 5 show failed to record today even though it showed as recording on the TV guide, I set a series record for the same show on 5+1 and that recorded fine. Tonight a series record for a Channel 4 show also failed to record though showed as recording on the TV guide and pressing stop even asked if I wanted to stop recording it so I once again set it to series record the 4+1 of the show but that failed too but pressing the record button worked. I am wondering if they did actually record but just failed to show on the recordings list. ( not sure of light colour as I was recording other things at the time) Also when switching to a channel most channels are now showing the wrong program in the top right of the screen.
Edit I just scheduled a recording for something on DMax as that was one of the channels that showed the correct program info and that has started to record correctly.

Last edited:
Also when switching to a channel most channels are now showing the wrong program in the top right of the screen
I've seen that. Also that pop up appearing in the middle of a programme for no obvious reason.

I have had some series link problems with 5USA. Not quite as you describe. Looking at the EPG it appears that an evening episode of NCIS is not scheduled. Investigating further I find the episode is also showing at another time (morning or weekend). That episode gets scheduled instead. Not obvious why. I haven't tried the same series link on another Humax (2000T or 5000T) to see if it is one of Aura's quirks or a general feature.

I've seen that. Also that pop up appearing in the middle of a programme for no obvious reason
Not had that happen. Unplugged the Aura overnight and plugged in today issue still there, Channel 4, 4HDand 4+1 should all say Frasier is on but say Murder in the Alps however when I go back and forth through channels with the channel key and back again they say Frasier only to give the false description when repeated. I set a scheduled recording for Channel 4 Frasier and it shows it recording in the TV guide but light remains blue and there was no listing in the recording schedule for it being set. I scheduled the recording when Channel was giving the correct program info.

I'm too late to try this properly, plus other things are recording so I can't test the blue/red light. I can set Frasier on C4+1. It shows as set on the EPG. I went to the schedule list. It didn't look as though it was listed. However, scrolling to the top of the page found it. Strangely, I did another viewing of the list and I can't repeat that finding. (I've just realised that this might not tell us anything as I use padding on recordings +3m before, +5min after - fed up with bits missing on minor channels). It started recording.

I'm spotting something odd. On the Aura the crid data doesn't show on C4 & ITV1. On my 2000T the data is shown.

I'm spotting something odd. On the Aura the crid data doesn't show on C4 & ITV1. On my 2000T the data is shown.
Interesting, I had a reply from Humax on the issue and they suggested a fresh channel search may fix the issue and if not give them a signal test result. Scan made no difference at all and I am getting 90% strength 100% quality. It is affecting a lot of channels ITV;s 5's, 4's and others but BBC is ok and manual recording is fine on all channels.

Sorry, this could be a red herring. I managed to find and dump the settings file. The crids are correctly stored in the file. They are not displaying properly on screen. Many C4 channels (not Film4) and ITV1 definitely affected. C5 seems OK to me.

Film 4 saying it is Mission impossible instead of Carry on regardless for me. 5 says Motorway cops instead of Storm Huntley.

No further response from Humax yet. Today channels are giving the correct program info but a scheduled recording on Ch4 has again failed. It showed in the schedule list before due then vanished when it should have started, TV guide shows that it is recording and pressing info gives Watch now, Play recording and Stop recording. Pressing play recording does nothing but stop recording removes the red recording symbol from the TV list.

Try retuning the channels in again - they've been farting around removing some.
PSB2 - which carries ITV's and Channel 4's clusters of channels, and carries Channel 5 SD alone, has been getting a new addition Thats Memories (LCN 71)

I had to do it twice recently, as LCN 71 never appeared - and I ended up with two 801s in the list for different channels, on separate muxes!

Try retuning the channels in again - they've been farting around removing some.
PSB2 - which carries ITV's and Channel 4's clusters of channels, and carries Channel 5 SD alone, has been getting a new addition Thats Memories (LCN 71)

I had to do it twice recently, as LCN 71 never appeared - and I ended up with two 801s in the list for different channels, on separate muxes!
Thanks for the info, someone else suggest doing similar but also clearing my schedule first the rescanning and powering down between actions. I will try your way first then their way if it fails. Too much on until Wednesday to have time to tinker but I will post the results when I have tried.

I had another response from Humax suggesting I do a factory reset and wipe the HDD which I gave this reply to.....................................

"Thank you for your reply but I have no intention of taking such drastic action, I have too much content on my Aura that I am not willing to lose. As the problem seems to be affecting PSB2 channels just like the previous blanking out issue that was eventually cured by an update from Humax I will suffer the issue for now in the hope of a similar result in the future. In the early days of that previous issue people were also advised by Humax to perform a factory reset and format their HDD which achieved nothing. If a more suitable fix does not appear and the issue becomes too much to bear I might even consider giving up on the Aura and it's instability and invest in a more stable PVR such as the Manhattan T4-R. It would be a shame as I have been a loyal Humax fan since buying my first 9200T pvr but no previous product has come close to being as unstable as an Aura."

I had another response from Humax suggesting I do a factory reset and wipe the HDD
I've recently done a factory reset without wiping the HDD. Manually searched for channels. Lost normal access to previous recordings, which were still there taking up space but couldn't be seen or deleted. Eventually copied all the recordings off by devious means. Then wiped the disk - only method of deleting recordings. Also, following information on the other site, removed the internet overnight. So far, so good. Although today it stopped responding to the remote and needed a power cycle to restore it. Work in progress?

@EEPhil To be honest just looking at the list of actions needed in their email was far too much faffing about for an issue that is not too major a problem for me, if I do not manually record the affected channels I can get them on catch up anyway especially when their advice to do the same was useless in solving the last issue. I saw your original posts on your woes and that was also a factor in my decision to just wait and look for an alternative solution.

Thank you for contacting Humax.

Please follow these instructions to perform factory default on your Humax Aura Device. Performing a factory reset can help with picture/sound; signal; recording playback and software operation issues.

Please NOTE: This will erase all data from your device's internal storage including: your Google Account; System and app data; downloaded apps and user settings.
  • Press Home/Freeview Play button on the remote
  • Using the directional buttons move up (top right hand corner) and select the Settings icon
  • Navigate to Device Preferences and press OK
  • Select "Reset" from the list of options
  • A new screen will appear, select "Reset" once again.
  • The unit will turn off for a few moments and turn on again.
  • Follow the on-screen installation wizard to and complete the device setup.
  • Pair the remote by OK & i buttons for five seconds, once paired select next.
  • Choose your preferred language and select next
  • Select your WiFi network and enter your password.
  • You'll need to sign into your Google account. you'll have the option for web or on-screen sign-in (we recommend web)
  • Next, agree to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
  • Enable location sercives.
  • Choose if you wish to send information back to Google to help improve their services.
  • Enable the Google Assistant and Personal Results
  • Next, you'll be prompeted to re-install any deleted apps (due to the reset).
  • You'll then be shown an overview of the feature of your device. Press the gith arrow key to progress through this.
  • You'll then need complete the Freeview Channel search (this may take 3-5 minutes).
  • When completed, save the results and accept the Freeview Terms and Conditions.
  • Agree to the End User License Agreement.
  • Finished

Furthermore, as a STEP2. please perform a format on your HDD if the Factory Reset itself doesn't help with these issues.

Please see below instructions on how to format the hard drive on your Humax Aura. Please note this will delete all data from your hard drive. Formatting the Hard Drive does help with any issues regarding recording or playback issues.

Please see below.
  • Press Home/Freeview Play button
  • Select Settings
  • Select Device Preferences
  • Select Storage
  • Select Internal HDD
  • Select Erase & Format
  • Select Format
In case you are still having issues afterwards, feel free to provide us the 14-digit Serial Number of your unit and we can proceed accordingly.

I propose that a "fix" requiring clearing the whole thing out and starting again, when clearly it is supposed to remember a user's information, qualifies as "not fit for purpose".

I thought there was a factory reset that includes a format. Perhaps there isn't, judging by that response from Humax. I'm not sure any factory reset preserves user data. However, mine remembered what apps I'd installed and reinstalled them. The reset is only supposed to clear the internal storage (a small flash drive?) not the HDD then? Only trouble is, I bet it somehow logs the time of the reset and ignores any recordings on the HDD before that time. Each recording folder is named using Unix Epoch time followed by the programme name and some other junk. So it would be easy to write software to only display recordings where time>reset_time. But why?

I can't remember whether the reset allowed me to cancel the automatic channel scan. I have this nagging thought that it didn't and I had to do a Freeview reset and then a manual search.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a faff.

Oddly a test scheduled recording on CH5 has recorded correctly today where as Ch5 was duff before and only Ch5+1 was ok. I just set up recordings on Ch4 C4HD and Ch4+1 all show as set on TV guide but none show on schedule. ITV1 , HD and +1 same result as 4

I just pulled out the power cable from my Aura and plugged in again, all 3 ITV scheduled shows that failed to show in schedule or start recording then showed in the list and started to record. Also a schedule for a CH4 show that starts in 17 mins is now showing in the schedule, lets see if it records.

Scheduled shows on Ch4 and Ch4+1 have started to record and show in the recordings list. Miracles do exist.

I thought there was a factory reset that includes a format. Perhaps there isn't, judging by that response from Humax. I'm not sure any factory reset preserves user data. However, mine remembered what apps I'd installed and reinstalled them. The reset is only supposed to clear the internal storage (a small flash drive?) not the HDD then? Only trouble is, I bet it somehow logs the time of the reset and ignores any recordings on the HDD before that time. Each recording folder is named using Unix Epoch time followed by the programme name and some other junk. So it would be easy to write software to only display recordings where time>reset_time. But why?
In my case after doing a reset, the recorded programs were preserved and can be played without problems. I dd lose the schedule of future recordings and the settings.

Back