Scheduled recordings failing...

ribrob

Hi there,

I may be completely wrong, but i'm beginning to suspect that some recordings i've set up via https://rs.hpkg.tv are failing for some reason. I'm getting broken recordings and these email alerts...

Device: humax (00:03:78:b8:de:7d)
At least one failed recording has been detected in your
media library. The following recording(s) failed:

Is there any way i can...

(a) retrospectively confirm if the failing recordings were added via rs.hpkg.tv?
(b) determine why the recordings in question are failing?
(c) stop this happening?

I've had this happen both with one-off recordings and series recording.

Rob

Failed recordings are detected by the presence of a .hmt file without a .ts file - as occurs sometimes, and when you try to play it you get a "failed to track" or "no signal" (or several other status reports). Sometimes you get these when there is a .ts and it still plays.

As the RS report is triggered by a .hmt/.ts mismatch, you can be sure the recording failed. Whether you can stop it happening depends on the specific cause, and your ability to intervene - but you wouldn't be asking this if you were at the same location as the HDR-FOX itself.

Cheers for the reply.

I guess i have trust issues with Remote Scheduling, as it never seems to be recordings set on the device itself.

Maybe i need to keep a record of how i add things to schedule (device, web-interface or RS) to see if i can isolate where it's happening.

I'm not aware of any problems - I schedule everything via RS. The RS site has a log section at the bottom of the first page along with a link to take you to a longer log. You should be able to see whether things were scheduled that way by looking at that.

Okay, i've been able to monitor this a bit more closely (keeping note of what's set to record from where) and i'm not seeing any pattern appearing about how a recording is set resulting in failed recordings.

I've got things set via RS, web interface and the remote control that do record successfully, and ones that don't.

On average i'd estimate i get around 3 failed recordings a week, from a list of 14 scheduled programmes.

The same scheduled programme may record fine one week and fail the next.

The files are zero k in size, so nothing's recording at all (in the past i have had files that have partially recorded, or appear as broken when browsing the folders via the remote but play fine).

How might i go about getting to the root of what's causing these zero k recordings / failures?

Is there a particular log file that may reveal why?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Rob

If your box is tuned to multiplexes from different regions that would explain those symptoms. Check the Diagnostics->Multiplex Info page in the web interface.
(Since this isn't RS related, please could you update the thread title?)

If your box is tuned to multiplexes from different regions that would explain those symptoms. Check the Diagnostics->Multiplex Info page in the web interface.

Hi there

Thanks - i'll check Multiplex Info tonight and see if it's that.

Title changed!

just for the record I have seen 2 zero lenght recordings this week.
I dont use the remote scheduling so your problem may not be that. I'm on the sutton xmitter
(that may be more relevant I'm coming to suspect)
Also I note there was supposed to be a retune this week that doesnt appear to have happened
(I think)

PS. It looks like I was too early trying the retune yesterday. It seems to be done now.

Last edited:
I had the rugby fail to record on Saturday and there was no other concurrent recording at the time. I have a feeling that the delinquent blue ring was on at the time. Has it been known to cause missed recordings?

I'm not a mind reader! You didn't say it had successfully recorded a later event without intervention.

so with these facts available what else could have gone wrong?
Did you get a failed recording .hmt file created for the missing recording?
If so what does the status say? (You will need to use the HMT command since, unfortunately, the webif doesn't display status info for orphaned hmt files)

Here's my multiplex info...

Rob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 21.28.10.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 21.28.10.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 17
Without wishing to take this too far off topic, any ideas why my mux info does not populate the quality/ strength bars like ribrob's? It never has, on any box or browser. I thought that was normal until now.

upload_2016-3-3_22-9-55.png

The quality/ strength bars are not continually updated, they are only set during tuning, in your case you only tuned one MUX, so only one MUX has any info, the info. for the other MUXs was removed at the same time

Here's my multiplex info...
Your MUX info. shows that you are only receiving from one transmitter, i.e. Crystal Palace, I would have expected CH23 to show BBC A and CH35 to show COM8 rather than Unknown, but this won't be causing a problem

Back