screen message - 'lost internet connection'

dandnsmith

Forum Supporter
Last night I got the message while watching a live program.
By the time I got to the end of that program and checked things the connection seemed to have recovered (judged by the reaction to starting the TV Portal and iPlayer).
What are the criteria for this to appear - I've not seen it before (even when my internet was down)

I'm amazed that came up when not actually doing anything with the network. Glitch maybe?

A couple of months back I had a failed recording while the box was unattended. On logging into webif I got a message telling me that the Humax had crashed and a quick root about in the logs showed that it had, indeed, crashed and rebooted during the recording. The apparent cause of the crash was that my internet connection had gone down during a background package update and stayed down long enough to cause a timeout event which resulted in the box re-booting while it recovered itself.
Perhaps you experienced something similar but slightly less severe - ie. an interruption to an update but brief enough to avoid a timeout event.

The apparent cause of the crash was that my internet connection had gone down during a background package update and stayed down long enough to cause a timeout event which resulted in the box re-booting while it recovered itself.
That sounds like a good reason not to use auto-update on the WebIf. (I assume it was a CFW thing as I don't think the Humax does backgound updates.)

Doesn't mean anything to me I'm afraid. How did you determine the cause of the crash?

I, too, would be interested in pointers as to determining crashes, as I've had a number of these which say only that the box has crashed on booting - I suspect that this can happen if a valid internet connection doesn't happen quickly enough (which seems to be more likely with my changed router going from an ADSL setup to a VDSL setup)

There is a package designed to help with that called crashdiag. It collects crash information and there is a diagnostic of the same name that tries to provide information on what caused the crash. Due to the architecture of the MIPS platform it is very hard to reliably extract anything useful but sometimes it is possible to work out at least which area of the code caused it and interpret from that.

All of the crashes that are seen are of the stock Humax software (the humaxtv process). It is unlikely to be anything related to the CFW*

* - some packages could cause the stock software to crash but these are generally considered very well tested and safe nowadays.

af123 asked : How did you determine the cause of the crash?
It had, in fact, crashed 5 times in 16 mins at which point SWMBO gave up on it and went to bed. At that point she decided to surf the net and discovered we had no internet connection- I only found this bit out afterwards.
When I got to look at it the following morning (while she was at work) the box worked for 45 mins then crashed. I discovered the lack of internet when I went to search here for advice. Once the router was rebooted and internet connection re-established it worked fine thereafter.
There was (and still is) evidence of the crashes in crash.log. There was, at the time, corresponding evidence in one of the other logs re failed updates but, unfortunately, all the other logs appear to have been overwritten since then so I can't be sure which. It may possibly have been modinit.log but I'm guessing really as this all happened on Fri 28 Nov around 20:45 (or was it 21:45 - not at home just now to review crash.log)

@af123 - thanks for that. I've now installed crashdiag in readiness

@tonybonner - that helps me to see what to review next time. The only info I ever see in my crash log is that the box has crashed at xxx and some packages have been disabled.

Back