SD/HD recording playback question

malw77

Hi! I have a Humax HDR Fox-T2 1Tb (11 months old), and it's recently been having problems when playing back both HD and SD recordings (skipping/breaking up/black screen followed by "channel scrambled or unavailable" message). I tried resets, power cycles etc., but nothing worked, so I rang PC World and was told straightaway that the machine was beyond repair, and as it was still under warranty to take it back for a replacement! Wow! Good service, I thought, and an obviously known fault.

My real problem is all the recordings I've got on the disk, which we're trying to get through as fast as possible but there are a whole load of films on there too. My question is can I watch SD recordings on the replacement machine, either via the USB drive or by copying to the new Humax's drive? I understand that all recordings are encrypted but that SD recordings are decrypted when copied to a USB drive, but I'm not sure if this means they can be viewed on another machine. If I decrypt the HD recordings using Foxy on my PC, can they then be viewed on the new machine too?

I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me! Thanks!

Mal

PC World are a bunch of clueless muppets.
If you were to install the Customised Firmware, I would think you'd probably be able to fix the (presumed) disk problem and then you wouldn't need to change the machine at all.

Yes, the SD recordings will be viewable on any other machine as they are decrypted by transferring to USB.

Yes, standard def. and Foxyed High-def files that have been copied to a USB drive will have decryption removed and will play on another Humax or a P.C.. I would say if you are offered a replacement for your 11 Month old Humax, you should take it, it may be possible to fix the hard disk and it may not, but I wouldn't even try unless you don't have an alternative

I understand that all recordings are encrypted but that SD recordings are decrypted when copied to a USB drive, but I'm not sure if this means they can be viewed on another machine. If I decrypt the HD recordings using Foxy on my PC, can they then be viewed on the new machine too?

Yes, copying StDef to USB makes them playable on another HDR-FOX or, indeed, using (eg) VLC on a PC.

Foxy does not decrypt the HiDef, it modifies the .hmt file so that when you put it back onto the Humax the associated .ts file (the one that contains the actual recording) will be decrypted on copy to USB, just like a StDef recording. The easiest way to do the Foxying is to enable FTP in the Humax settings Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = On, then use an FTP client on the PC to pull off all the .hmt files, Foxy them, and FTP them back again.

....Foxy does not decrypt the HiDef, it modifies the .hmt file so that when you put it back onto the Humax the associated .ts file (the one that contains the actual recording) will be decrypted on copy to USB, just like a StDef recording. The easiest way to do the Foxying is to enable FTP in the Humax settings Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = On, then use an FTP client on the PC to pull off all the .hmt files, Foxy them, and FTP them back again.

My Humax isn't networked, which I'm presuming it would have to be to FTP the files.

If I do this by copying to USB, is this the correct process:

1. copy HD files from Humax F/V HDR to USB drive
2. copy the files from USB drive to my PC, use Foxy to modify them
3. copy modified files back to the USB drive
4. copy files from USB drive back to the Humax HDR
5. copy same files back to the USB drive (which will then decrypt them for viewing on any machine)

Just one question regarding step 4 - does the Humax need to be the one on which they were originally recorded, or could this step be done on my replacement machine?

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated.
Mal

Just one question regarding step 4 - does the Humax need to be the one on which they were originally recorded, or could this step be done on my replacement machine?
It has to be the original machine.

My Humax isn't networked, which I'm presuming it would have to be to FTP the files.

If I do this by copying to USB, is this the correct process:

1. copy HD files from Humax F/V HDR to USB drive
2. copy the files from USB drive to my PC, use Foxy to modify them
3. copy modified files back to the USB drive
4. copy files from USB drive back to the Humax HDR
5. copy same files back to the USB drive (which will then decrypt them for viewing on any machine)

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated.
Mal

As af123 said, the decryption MUST be completed on the original machine. You can refine your steps a little, the Foxy process can operate on the files while they remain on the USB drive/stick (I think), BUT the copying off and on the Humax is going to take ages that way, because although you only need to modify the (very small) .hmt files, the bog-standard copy process you are proposing to use will transfer ALL the files that make up the recording.

Then there is the problem of what format your drive will be. NTFS can't be written to by the Humax, FAT32 can only accommodate files up to 4GB each (less than an hour of HiDef), and Ext3 needs a special driver for Windows. See Things Every... section 12.

I seriously recommend hooking the Ethernet up to your network even if only temporarily (could be a direct connection to your PC) and using FTP for the Foxy process, and then without using the custom firmware your only realistic option is to do the decrypt copy to a drive formatted Ext3.

The process would be much easier if you installed the custom firmware and then removed it again prior to warranty return.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I've downloaded Foxy and will see how I get on. Your replies have certainly helped sort out my questions, much appreciated. Hope the replacement HDR Fox-T2 doesn't have the same problem in the future, but at least I now know what to do to save my recordings! :)

Mal

Back