sda1 recovery failed - zero length partition

dd is already in the flash filesystem. smartctl will be as of CFW 2.15.

It has been 5 days since recovering my hard disk. Too soon to be certain, but long enough to make a preliminary assessment.

smartctl still says the Current_Pending_Sector and Offline_Uncorrectable counters are both zero. It also says the last recorded error is the one from the original problem - no new errors have been logged.

I am puzzled that the raw counters for Raw_Read_Error_Rate (e.g. 204765846 -> 93045057), Seek_Error_Rate and Hardware_ECC_Recovered are significantly large, but actually lower than 5 days ago. I wonder what caused them to reset - or perhaps the binary counters just overflowed and wrapped to zero?

I will reserve judgement on whether the disk needs replacement until I have more data... Thankfully I can now watch all my recovered programs and offload decrypted versions of them to safety!

After booting into maintenance mode and unmounting the disk, I have tried using "badbbocks" as in:

badblocks -vv /dev/sda

to check for bad block, and then look at the reallocation count to see if the disk is dying. Is there a better way of checking and re-allocating for badblocks?

I'm looking to replace the HD with the 2Tb but the ST200VM003 disks are getting rarer - any recomedations for replacements - the ST200DM003 for instance?

Trevor

Back