Seagate Pipeline Replacement HDD

Peter H

The Seagate Pipeline is now listed as "End Of Life" and as I need to peplace my drive I thought it might be useful to collect information for anyone wanting to extend the Fox T2's life.

I have done some general googling on other forums and sent enquiries to Seagate and Western Digital (WD) as they are the main two manufacturers (and most reliable in my experience).
The recommendations from WD is their "Purple" model and Seagate recommend their "Skyhawk", however both do not guarantee them in 3rd party boxes which is normal.
I have seen reports of successful installs of both and of some other AV and standard PC drives but PC drives are not suited for 24/7 use. I will obtain more advice from some "experts" before buying a new drive, but I expect I will be buying one of those above.

It would be useful to know of any experiences of using the above drives or different HDD's in the next few weeks before I commit to buy, especially quietness and heating!

Last edited:
It would be useful to know of any experiences of using the above drives or different HDD's in the next few weeks before I commit to buy, especially quietness and heating!
The Seagate Pipeline ST2000VM03 in my Humax HDR-FOX T2 is now approaching 30,000 power on hours with zero reallocated sectors and no problems so far. It is reasonably quiet (certainly much quieter than the 2TB drive in my FVP-5000T) and with the fan package from the custom firmware it stays at about 45C on with 50% fan speed.

The Seagate Pipeline ST2000VM03 in my Humax HDR-FOX T2 is now approaching 30,000 power on hours with zero reallocated sectors and no problems so far. It is reasonably quiet (certainly much quieter than the 2TB drive in my FVP-5000T) and with the fan package from the custom firmware it stays at about 45C on with 50% fan speed.

Mine had only 9000 hours and reported 100's of relocated sectors and increasing quickly, maybe I was just unlucky!

I was alerted to problems of signal failure/pixelation after returning from holiday, both on channels and recordings. Since installing another disk a week ago, so far I have problems. FWIW my old WD Green drive has been running for 27000 hours with no relocation sectors on the Fox T2. I tested it on a Linux PC and it did not show errors so it may have been cable problems - I will need to check again before throwing it away!!

I think the pipeline is a very good drive as you and others have said on lists but they are now getting harder to source.

Thanks

PS The Purple drive is Western Digital (WD), well spotted!

Back